PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day NPD

marnold
June 18th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Upon our return from picking up my son at music camp, we stopped at Guitar Center. First off let me say that I got the single most helpful, thrilled-to-be-doing-his-job, guy I've ever met in a Guitar Center or probably any other guitar store for that matter. I got a lightly used Boss DD-6 Digital Delay for $72. It even came with the original box, manual, and registration card. Pretty sweet deal, if I do say so myself. While I was at it I also picked up a set of Boomer 10s and the George Lynch Behind the Player DVD.

FrankenFretter
June 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Nice! Congrats on the pedal and the DVD. Do you usually use 10s? Just curious, since I use both 9s and 10s, depending on which guitar.

marnold
June 18th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Nice! Congrats on the pedal and the DVD. Do you usually use 10s? Just curious, since I use both 9s and 10s, depending on which guitar.
Yep. I tried 10s when I first started but they made my fingers hurt, so I switch to 9s for the longest time. Then I went to a hybrid set with a 9 top and 10 bottom. For the past five years at least I've been using 10s. I grip chords sharp if I use 9s. My technique has improved so it wouldn't be as big of an issue anymore probably.

Tig
June 18th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Nice haul, Rev!

I'm trying to set up a NGD acoustic... We'll see!

sunvalleylaw
June 18th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Really nice deal! That is a great price on a nice delay!

Kazz
June 19th, 2010, 05:51 AM
congrats on the NPD. I got a Vizio VSB200 soundbar for our living room HDTV. Which means I can declutter the old surround sound system and reclaim some space.....this thing is 98 bucks at Wal-Mart and sounds amazing.

Kazz
June 19th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Almost forgot....the wife is taking both girls with her to a birthday party for a few hours tomorrow to allow me some empty house time to jam on the guitar. WOOHOO

marnold
June 19th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I'm finding out that, with distortion, a little goes a long way with this pedal. I'm also using it as a pseudo-reverb for clean. It's kind of a more mellow slap-back actually. I was trolling the Intarwebs for some setting suggestions which brought me across some reviews/comparisons with other delays. I think I lost some very valuable IQ points. I'm going to go drool on myself now.

Tig
June 19th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Looks like I have clearance from the tower on a new or used acoustic!

Mrs. Tig asked what I'd like for father's day since she already got me the Brookwood Leather strap for my birthday (which is the day after). Well, it took about .5 seconds for me to tab the browser over to several acoustics I'm eyeballing!

I'll be browsing CL as well as the local shops. I'm leaning a bit on the 00 sized bodies, but may consider the right dreadnought.

Possibilities:
Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk or S6
Epiphone Dove, Hummingbird, or hopefully a Masterbuilt EF or DR-500M
Yamaha FG720s/FG730s
...others like Cort, Ibanez, Takamine
Depends on what my ears and fingers tell me.
:dance

Kazz
June 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Seagull S6+ Cedar produced lots of GAS for me a couple years back. I still love that guitar.

sunvalleylaw
June 20th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Looks like I have clearance from the tower on a new or used acoustic!

Possibilities:
Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk or S6
Epiphone Dove, Hummingbird, or hopefully a Masterbuilt EF or DR-500M
Yamaha FG720s/FG730s
...others like Cort, Ibanez, Takamine

Depends on what my ears and fingers tell me.
:dance

Cool! I just went through my search for a decently priced good acoustic, and ended up with my used Martin SPD-16TR. A dreadnought. I liked a bunch of OM's too. Of the ones you were looking at, I liked the Masterbuilt guitars (though they were a bit darker than the Martin), and also really liked the Larrivees. I think they make a nice OM size. If I was not going to go Martin, I would really lean toward Larrivee myself. The look, feel and sound is all their own, and is really nice IMO. Martin also has some lower cost OMs to consider I believe. I liked the feel of the Seagulls, and looks and build, but the sound was just not what I wanted for myself. But I like your last sentence best, let your fingers and ears do the deciding for you . . . and have tons of fun shopping!

We are just getting up here, and were going to take the boat out for the first time this year. Weather looks iffy though. Might have to mountain bike or hike instead. Happy Father's Day all!!! :dance :thumbsup

Spudman
June 20th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Great deal Rev! Those are really good delay pedals.

otaypanky
June 21st, 2010, 02:35 AM
It's always a pleasure to be dealing with folks who love what they do, isn't it?

Hey Tig, I ended up getting an Ibanez AW30ECENT 2 years ago after at the local mom and pop store after playing one. A nice sounding guitar with Fishman electronics, a tuner and an XLR out. I sold a Martin all mahogany guitar and bought the Ibanez after playing it. To my old ears it sounded better, and I got it for $249 (no case or bag ) I think they're on-line now for $349

Tig
June 21st, 2010, 02:54 AM
It's always a pleasure to be dealing with folks who love what they do, isn't it?

Hey Tig, I ended up getting an Ibanez AW30ECENT 2 years ago after at the local mom and pop store after playing one. A nice sounding guitar with Fishman electronics, a tuner and an XLR out. I sold a Martin all mahogany guitar and bought the Ibanez after playing it. To my old ears it sounded better, and I got it for $249 (no case or bag ) I think they're on-line now for $349

Thanks, Bob. I'll put that one on the test list.
Oh, life is so cruel!

Eric
June 21st, 2010, 06:15 AM

+1. I've heard good things about the Ibanez Artwoods -- that 'violin burst' finish on that guitar looks sweet too. If I was in the market for an acoustic, I'd seriously consider those (along with any Godin offerings).

marnold
June 21st, 2010, 08:12 AM
that 'violin burst' finish on that guitar looks sweet too
Every time I hear "violin burst" I think of a violin and a 1/2 stick of dynamite.

Katastrophe
June 21st, 2010, 08:14 AM
Pedal, strings, and a Lynch DVD. Dude, it don't get much better than that!

Congrats!

marnold
June 21st, 2010, 09:02 AM
Pedal, strings, and a Lynch DVD. Dude, it don't get much better than that!
Heh. I watched a bit of the Lynch DVD yesterday. The "interview" part was pretty interesting where he talks about getting his start and his influences, etc. The end mainly talks about all the products he designs/endorses--a non-trivial list. On the DVD he shows you how to play "Tooth and Nail" and "Mr. Scary." The cool part about the latter is that he shows you how he picks and chooses the recorded parts to play live instead of trying to play the eleventy different parts. The on-screen tab is interesting, but it flies by awfully fast. I've got the Lynch tab book so I can use both.

Unfortunately, both tracks are in Eb and my guitar is in E with a floating Floyd. It shouldn't be too much trouble to use my trem stop to block it temporarily and retune in. I may have to tighten the springs a bit too. The only caveat is that I find 10s to be a bit floppy on the lowest three strings in Eb. I'll survive.

marnold
June 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
I think I've got the delay where I want it for distorted stuff. I set the mode at 800ms, the delay time at noon (so it should be roughly 500ms), feedback at 9:00, and the effect level at 8:00. At those levels the effect is subtle, but I'm not shooting for "Hey! He's got a digital delay!" It just makes everything sound bigger.

Now to figure out a good clean setting . . .

Katastrophe
June 21st, 2010, 07:57 PM
The Lynch DVD sounds cool. I used to get to my lessons early so I could sneak up to the video room and work on the Lynch tape they had at the time.

Does the Jet City have an effects loop? If no, how does the delay sound in front of the amph?

marnold
June 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM
Does the Jet City have an effects loop?
No, it doesn't.

If no, how does the delay sound in front of the amph?
I'm still messing with it. Clean, of course, you can do whatever you want to do with it. I haven't messed with it much at medium gain/crunch. At high gain a little goes a long way. Odd that if I use the settings I mention above clean, I barely can tell the delay is on. With a lot of gain it is very noticeable. Thankfully, I'm not looking for a massively delayed signal because I don't think it sounds particularly good that way.