PDA

View Full Version : 10 Things I've learned in the GAS station...

rylanmartin
June 18th, 2010, 09:43 PM
As of about two months ago I got a sales position in "Mothers Music Edmonton." I'm doing rather well, selling gear all over the music spectrum; keyboards, recording interfaces, reference monitors, guitars and amps a'plenty, etc. We don't sell a lot of brands that I'm fond of, so I'm selling mostly to a demographic that I don't personally fit in. I've been put in a situation where many of my personal preferences must be put aside in order to succeed.

That said, I've also learned a lot of things I never expected to find, some about brands I've never cared for:

1. Peavey ValveKing amps are stupid awesome and very well priced! Next time you try one out, put a patch cable in the effects loop, from the send to the return.

2. LTD Eclipse guitars are generally very well made, and very affordable Les Paul alternatives.

3. Low to Mid-range Ibanez guitars are no where as good as I previously thought. (Art-core's excluded)

4. The Mesa/Boogie Transatlantic is one of the coolest concepts I've ever seen in an amplifier.

5. Canadian gear supplier politics are STUPID!

6. Marshall's MA's and JMD's are sadly very disappointing.

7. Korean's LOOOOOOVE karaoke gear.

8. If you're always trying to get a discount of your sales person in a music store, always mentioning "how much you've spent at that store," you're kind of an ***.

9. PRS guitars are very nice, but also overpriced.

10. Hype isn't everything. Just because everyone else think a particular piece of gear is AWESOME, doesn't mean it really is.

:dance

Kazz
June 19th, 2010, 05:49 AM
what are your findings when putting the patch cable in the effects loop of the valveking? I used to do that with my Peavey C30 (only one end of the cable tho) and it worked like a attenuator. I could crank the amp and get lots of goodness but the overall volume was reduced.

Eric
June 19th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Cool stuff. I just looked up the Transatlantic. So it lets you have three different power sections for each channel? That's a ton of different sounds...

rylanmartin
June 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
what are your findings when putting the patch cable in the effects loop of the valveking? I used to do that with my Peavey C30 (only one end of the cable tho) and it worked like a attenuator. I could crank the amp and get lots of goodness but the overall volume was reduced.

The Valve King just kind of opens up. I just have a habit of patching the effects loop with most of my amps anyway, but while goofing around with the Valve King, it makes it sound a little more "Marshally"

If anyone hasn't played through the ValveKing, you're missing out. I really like the 212 combo...

rylanmartin
June 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Cool stuff. I just looked up the Transatlantic. So it lets you have three different power sections for each channel? That's a ton of different sounds...

The left side of the amp is British, the right side is American...Hence the name.

You can get great AC15 type tones out of the left side of the amp, and Fender cleans and Mesa grind out of the right side.

Each channel will independently run at 5 watts Class A, 15 watts Class A, or 25 watts Class AB.

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2010, 02:24 PM
That transatlantic sounds way cool.

I guess my lesson from the GAS store is to wait overnight. I might not need it quite so much in the morning.

pes_laul
June 19th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Koreans love karaoke gear?

Lol how so?

DeanEVO_Dude
June 19th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Koreans love karaoke gear?

Lol how so?

I don't know about your area, but in my area, every restraunt/bar patroned by Koreans has karaoke, some even have private rooms you can do it in! My ex-wife (Korean) has one of those computer ones with, like, 10,000 songs on it... :rotflmao:

Cheers!

Zip
June 19th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Two lessons learned from my GAS station:

#1. I don't have enough guitars.

#2. I don't have enough money.

:thwap

DeanEVO_Dude
June 19th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Two lessons learned from my GAS station:

#1. I don't have enough guitars.

#2. I don't have enough money.

:thwap

:poke I would also add:

#1.a. I don't have enough amps.

#1.b. I don't have enough effects units.

Katastrophe
June 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I've got no experience with numbers 5,6, or 7, but I'd have to agree with everything else!

Ibby quality is declining on the lower end, sadly. I've played several examples lately that were just, well, disappointing, especially in the fit and finish department. The Artcores seem to be holding the line on quality, though, like you said.

I dig the ValveKing amphs. I like the "texture" knob, and the price can't be beat!

Congrats on the job, Rylan, and I hope you get a ton of sales, man!

rylanmartin
June 20th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Congrats on the job, Rylan, and I hope you get a ton of sales, man!

If anyone wants to buy a pointy guitar with EMG's in Edmonton... you know who to call...

I'd like to re-emphasize a few points, for the official record. I REALLY think the Peavey ValveKing is a GREAT amp, and I personally hate most things Peavey too... it gives me a headache thinking about it.

The ESP LTD EC-256's are really really fun guitars. Even though I'm in love with my Gibson's, I really think I would proudly own one of these babies. :rockya

duhvoodooman
June 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
Here's a YouTube vid from Sweetwater demoing that M-B Transatlantic TA-15. I think I may need one of these....

7hzQ3ZGpHMA

guitarhack
June 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
I learned that I want to own a GAS station.

Eric
June 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Here's a YouTube vid from Sweetwater demoing that M-B Transatlantic TA-15. I think I may need one of these....
They're not so cheap though. Might need to sell a few more pedals for that one, huh?

duhvoodooman
June 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
They're not so cheap though. Might need to sell a few more pedals for that one, huh?
That would be a BUNCH of pedals! More likely I'd have to part with an existing amp or guitar. Decisions, decisions....

DeanEVO_Dude
June 22nd, 2010, 07:23 PM
That would be a BUNCH of pedals! More likely I'd have to part with an existing amp or guitar. Decisions, decisions....

I think that I might have to learn to play while standing on one leg! :poke :rotflmao:

Spudman
June 22nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Rylan - I really liked what you had to say. Experience and your being around the gear a lot really carries some weight. I appreciate the tip on the EC 256. :AOK

Does it have a thinner body? Tummy bevel? Is the neck thin or hefty?

Robert
June 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the tips, Rylan. I like the Valve King too, by the way, but I like the Classic even more.

GuitarAcademy
July 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM
As of about two months ago I got a sales position in "Mothers Music Edmonton." I'm doing rather well, selling gear all over the music spectrum; keyboards, recording interfaces, reference monitors, guitars and amps a'plenty, etc. We don't sell a lot of brands that I'm fond of, so I'm selling mostly to a demographic that I don't personally fit in. I've been put in a situation where many of my personal preferences must be put aside in order to succeed.

That said, I've also learned a lot of things I never expected to find, some about brands I've never cared for:

1. Peavey ValveKing amps are stupid awesome and very well priced! Next time you try one out, put a patch cable in the effects loop, from the send to the return.

2. LTD Eclipse guitars are generally very well made, and very affordable Les Paul alternatives.

3. Low to Mid-range Ibanez guitars are no where as good as I previously thought. (Art-core's excluded)

4. The Mesa/Boogie Transatlantic is one of the coolest concepts I've ever seen in an amplifier.

5. Canadian gear supplier politics are STUPID!

6. Marshall's MA's and JMD's are sadly very disappointing.

7. Korean's LOOOOOOVE karaoke gear.

8. If you're always trying to get a discount of your sales person in a music store, always mentioning "how much you've spent at that store," you're kind of an ***.

9. PRS guitars are very nice, but also overpriced.

10. Hype isn't everything. Just because everyone else think a particular piece of gear is AWESOME, doesn't mean it really is.

:dance

You have mirrored my impressions almost to the T - especially about Marshall and Ibanez. You might also note how much of Ibanez stock is comprised with Ibanez proprietary parts, meaning dealer-only parts. Thus, if you ever need to replace them, be ready to pay a steeper price. An example - typical replacement saddles cost 4.00, with Ibanez, be prepared to pay 12.00 each. Cost of ownership is higher because of this.

GA

rylanmartin
July 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Rylan - I really liked what you had to say. Experience and your being around the gear a lot really carries some weight. I appreciate the tip on the EC 256. :AOK

Does it have a thinner body? Tummy bevel? Is the neck thin or hefty?

The EC 256 has a satin finish, a belly cut, which is significantly more comfortable for my newly married-man's food baby, and I would like to say a thinner neck. It's a very "youthful" Les Paul. The body feels thinner than my LP.

If my wife would allow me one more guitar, I think the LTD EC 256 would probably one of my choices. I would, however, also love something like an Epiphone dot or Gib 335 or something along those lines...

:rar

GuitarAcademy
July 11th, 2010, 06:33 PM
The EC 256 has a satin finish, a belly cut, which is significantly more comfortable for my newly married-man's food baby, and I would like to say a thinner neck. It's a very "youthful" Les Paul. The body feels thinner than my LP.

If my wife would allow me one more guitar, I think the LTD EC 256 would probably one of my choices. I would, however, also love something like an Epiphone dot or Gib 335 or something along those lines...

:rar

I might suggest to take a look at an ESP EC 301 - In Vintage Cherry Burst - Seymour Duncan JB and 59's and Mahogany on Mahogany - with set neck.

Phenomenal Guitar for the money. Value and quality that are unmatched at that price point, and even several hundred dollars higher.

GA