PDA

View Full Version : Tone pot and switches affecting the tone HOW much?

deeaa
June 18th, 2010, 11:05 PM
SInce I just built the latest 'dee-const-ructed' Squier strat mod keeping in mind what Eddie Van Halen said once 'I built the guitar like that, with just one pickup and volume, because I wanted a guitar that would kick and scream and stock guitars just didn't do that', I begun wondering how much do the tone pots etc. actually change the sound.

Because I have an EMG85 bridge on all my three strat-type guitars, but each sounds clearly different. I can understand one of them well, because it has a tiltneck and a little shorter scale, but still...the only real reasons between the guitars is how many pots and caps there are in the circuit, and how they're set.

One has just the EMG85 to a volume pot and boy, does the sound kick and scream thru the amp!

The other has the EMG85 to a volume pot and to a tone pot with a cap, a 3-way switch behind which there is neck pickup and it's volume. And the sound is to my ears _clearly_ a little LESS aggressive and kicking already.

Third one has the EMG85 behind a volume pot only, no switch, and another pickup in the same circuit behind it's volume pot, and both have a common tone pot with the cap. And to my ears, even when the other pickup is out of the circuit via the volume pot, this one is CLEARLY the least powerful of the bunch and also sounds less bassy than the others. But on this one the pickup also is located 1/3" closer to the bridge which makes it less bassy. But still, where does all the power drain?

Do the tone pots, caps and volume pots really affect the sound so damned much - well I mean, the differences aren't huge but they are very clear when you switch the guitars ABC style back and forth. Way more difference than any body material/weight or whatever could choose. And besides, the first two 'strats' are virtually identical even down to materials, the only difference being the other has a 1-piece neck and the other a rosewood fingerboard. (and a pickguard)

I just may have to rip the guts off the 2 other guitars and re-wire them just with the volume if it makes such a difference, but I'd like to hear if anyone here has any input or experience on the issue.

markb
June 19th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Consider the Fender Esquire. One pickup with a three way switch. Position 1 (from the neck) is preset treble rolloff, 2 is tone control in circuit, 3 is tone control cut out of circuit. 1 is dark and a bit muddy but not as dark as pre-1968 tele, 2 is normal tele bridge, 3 SCREAMS. Taking the neck pickup out removes drag from the strings but losing the tone control helps a lot too.

For the best of both worlds get a Fender No-Load tone pot. It's a normal tone pot from 0-9(and a bit) and then has a click stop where the tone pot is taken out of circuit. The tone gets bigger and brighter. I have one in my tele. It's a good compromise without committing to cutting the wire to the tone control.