PDA

View Full Version : Metalica - smooth jazz

jpfeifer
June 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

I found this clip by accident, and have been using it for some of my product demos for my work. People really like this clip, especially if they are a metalica fan. It's a live video clip of Metalica playing "Enter Sandman" but someone has replaced the sound track with another band doing a smooth-jazz version of it, and matching the exact same tempo as the live video, with a singer that sounds just like the Metalica lead singer. It's hilarious! I laughed so hard when I first saw this clip, I could barely breathe :-) Whoever did the cover version in Smooth-Jazz style has done a decent job. They do a great job at reharmonizing the chord changes to make them more cheesy, and have included a Grant Geismann style guitar solo (I actually like it, so I must be getting old :-) I'm wondering what the real Metalica guys think of this clip.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OBmM79YadYM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OBmM79YadYM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

marnold
June 20th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Somewhere else on here we had linked to a number of other videos that this guy has done, like the Radio Disney versions of Slipknot's "Wait and Bleed" and Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face."

In your clip, I'm pretty sure they just used the actual vocals.

mainestratman
June 20th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Metallica is thinking "COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT! SUE! SUE!"

At least Lars is.

lol

pes_laul
June 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I like that better than the original version

sumitomo
June 20th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I'm with Pes on this one! Groovy Baby! Sumi:D

Tone2TheBone
June 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
hahahahahaha that's awesome

Eric
June 20th, 2010, 08:27 PM
That's most excellent. I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but I find that endlessly entertaining.

jpfeifer
June 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I'm with you guys. I've never really liked metalica that much, don't know why. But I did have a chance to hear the real version of this song and I liked the smooth jazz version better, it seemed more interesting with the chord changes :-)

--Jim

guitarhack
June 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Too funny!

Eric
June 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM
I'm with you guys. I've never really liked metalica that much, don't know why. But I did have a chance to hear the real version of this song and I liked the smooth jazz version better, it seemed more interesting with the chord changes :-)

--Jim
I think Metallica has done some interesting stuff throughout the years, and I have liked parts of it, but my impression is that there's a certain degree of fanaticism about their older stuff (Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning) that I can't say I get (probably since I'm not into metal too too much), and I really haven't paid attention to them in close to 10 years now.

I'll say this much: they have some neat guitar leads and riffs that are fun to learn and pretty easy. I feel like every guitarist knows at least a couple of Metallica songs.

Tone2TheBone
June 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM
James Hetfield is a riff master. He's got some serious rhythm chops and odd timing sequences down pat. The other guys are just plain funny as hell. Their behind the scenes antics in the studio are crackups.

bcdon
June 21st, 2010, 04:45 PM
Blasphemy! If they start playing this in elevators you will curse the day you sanctioned such heresy. :spank :thwap

helliott
June 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
Very funny stuff. They even choreographed the solo to roughly match up with the video lead. Crazy.

Eric
June 23rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Very funny stuff. They even choreographed the solo to roughly match up with the video lead. Crazy.
It sounded to me like the solo was actually pretty darn close to the original, no?

Robert
June 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
I loved that. What I would like to know though, what does Metallica think of this video!??

:D :D :D