PDA

View Full Version : Parts are being shipped!

Plank_Spanker
October 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I just received shipping confirmation for the pickups I ordered. This Strat is getting 2 Duncan SSL3's and a Duncan SH11 Custom Custom for the bridge. I also have a black Wilkinson trem waiting to go on it. My bench awaits! :D

The pickups in the pic are custom wound from a friend that I volunteered to test for him. He wants them back when I install my pickups. I've already replaced the old pots with 250K pots, installed new caps, pick guard, knobs, and jack plate. I'm shooting for a Strat on the "hot side" that can still sing pretty with a "pimp my axe" look. :)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_0475.jpg

I'll post a review and a "before and after" pic when it's all together. I'm pumped! :D

duhvoodooman
October 11th, 2006, 04:44 PM
...with a "pimp my axe" look.
:D :D :D LMAO!

I'll post a review and a "before and after" pic when it's all together.
How's about a "before and after" audio clip to go with the pix??

...I'm pumped!
Don't you mean, "I'm pimped!" ;)

Spudman
October 11th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Sweet looking! I hope the pups turn out to be awesome.

Plank_Spanker
October 11th, 2006, 05:11 PM
DVM,

I have no clips of the guitar in it's original state, and I don't do any recording at the house.

The band has been throwing around the idea of a new demo. If this Strat sounds like I hope it does, and we do indeed record a new demo, I'll post it.

I will post pics, though...................:)

Spudman,

Thanks! This reincarnation has been a long time coming and I'm pretty excited.

Tone2TheBone
October 11th, 2006, 08:13 PM
P. Spanker that is a nice looking guitarski. I couldn't see the photo from work (web filter). *thumbs up*

Plank_Spanker
October 13th, 2006, 01:56 PM
The pickups are here, but the singles shipped with white covers. So.............I need to get my mitts on some black covers. I guess that I could solder them in and install the Wilky in the meantime.

My "honey-do" list is lengthy for the next two weeks (repainting the house interiors), so it looks like I'm on high speed hold for a bit.

Plank_Spanker
October 20th, 2006, 04:50 PM
It's alive! :D

The pickups went in without a hassle and it all works. The SSL3's sound great! They have a nice, throaty midrange punch without giving up the trademark single coil spank.

The Custom Custom sounds sweet in the bridge - clean and musical, with some punch when you dime it out. I still have some experimenting to do with pickups heights, but I'll do that as I play it more. All in all, I'm very happy with the way this guitar sounds now. The proof will be a few practices with the Germino opened up a bit to see how it sounds in the mix with the rest of the band.

Next, it's on to installing the Wilkinson trem - but not tonight. :)