PDA

View Full Version : How many axe slingers here play in bands?

Plank_Spanker
October 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I do - and I love it.

Just curious as to who else here has an advanced degree in "cat herding".

Spudman
October 11th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I do - and I love it.

Cat herding?:confused: I don't get that one.

I was playing regularly in bands until all the venues in this town closed up. No live music and it's a college town of over 50,000 people. Very strange.
Now I'm working at becoming "Looper Boy". I can probably find a solo gig somewhere at least.
For the most part I'd say I have an advanced degree though.

Plank_Spanker
October 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Cat herding?:confused: I don't get that one.

Picture in your mind the image of a cowboy herding a group of cats. Now, imagine what a mess that would be..............................

................Translate that image into all of the work that it takes to keep a band together, happy, functional, and getting to where they need to be on time.

That, my friend, is CAT HERDING! :D

Robert
October 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Well, I do play in bands. We have new band starting any day now, but I also play in a duo. I also get hired to play for other bands once in a while.

jpfeifer
October 11th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Hi Plank Spanker,

I play in a group that does casuals. We don't play every weekend but as needed when a gig comes along. We tend to get more gigs around Christmas time so we're getting ready for that. We play weddings and corporate events, etc. The music is fun because it's a variety band so the music styles vary quite a bit. We do some instrumental Jazz stuff, swing, oldies and classic rock, country or whatever the people want to dance to.

I also have a regular gig on Sundays playing with a contemporary group at a church. My wife and my daughter play in this group with me too so it's kind of fun to do something together as a family.

-- Jim

t_ross33
October 11th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I play in a 4-pc (keys, guitar, bass, drums). We cover country, 50's-60's, classic rock, southern rock/blues, some old school punk, newer rock (Nickelback, INXS) and more (what more could there be :confused:). Our keyboard player is also an accomplished accordian player so polkas are never out of the question :D

We don't gig every weekend, nor do we want to. Once or twice a month this time of year. We are committed family guys, hold down day jobs etc. and have outgrown our aspirations for fame and fortune. We play for the love it and like to share it with as many people as possible.

After a 20 odd year hiatus from playing in any kind of band I'm having the time of my life. Hence the band name "Mid-Life Crisis". So far we get along like a Band of Brothers. No issues, egos etc. (except mine).

Yes, we now know that name is far from original, but we're the only MLC in these parts and the name fits so well ;)

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD

Trev

Jimi75
October 12th, 2006, 03:09 AM
I play in a very cool Rock Band (www.thirdreunion.de) and I have a duo with a female singer. With the band we play only own material and with the duo we do kind of wedding singer stuff. Earning some extra money and playing pop songs of the 80s in a very jazzy way.

I could never imagine only playing at home, although I love to record my stuff all by myself in front of the computer - but only at times.

Tim
October 12th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I play every Wednesday evening in a very small contemporary worship group. Once a year many of us musicians and singers get together and play for a 3 day weekend conference. My wife sings with both groups. As Jim stated earlier, it is good to do things with family.

Spudman
October 12th, 2006, 06:56 AM
I play in a 4-pc (keys, guitar, bass, drums). We cover country, 50's-60's, classic rock, southern rock/blues, some old school punk, newer rock (Nickelback, INXS) and more (what more could there be :confused:). Trev

Polkas mate, polkas.:D

Robert
October 22nd, 2006, 08:00 AM
No more band players on the Fret?

warren0728
October 22nd, 2006, 08:44 AM
never been in a band....

ww

tremoloman
November 21st, 2006, 12:23 AM
Yup... in a band for 1½ years - mostly 80s covers, some originals.
Here's out link at BostonBands.com - man I really need to get a website up and going!

http://www.bostonbands.com/binfo.asp?recnum=6336

kerc
November 21st, 2006, 01:19 AM
I used to have a band...A few years ago. :( Haven't been able to form a new one.

warren0728
November 21st, 2006, 04:27 AM
never been in a band....
however i have been banned more than once!! :D

ww

zeusse
November 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM
I just finished up with the band thing last summer not that I wouldn't consider it again but I've decided to take some time off and spend more time with the family. Done a whack of cover bands over the years and three tribute projects that two did quite well. Looking ahead the question for me is what direction I would like to try next so until I figure that out I'll hang out with you fine folk.:D

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2006, 11:09 AM
I do - and I love it.

I am just a one man band, except when I play with my son. However, I herd cats all winter long every weekend as head coach of the freeride team!! Now that is a rocking gig. (sometimes the 20 something coach cats are harder to herd than the kid cats). ;)

Plank_Spanker
November 21st, 2006, 11:10 AM
Looking ahead the question for me is what direction I would like to try next so until I figure that out I'll hang out with you fine folk.:D

You can hang here with us even if you do make it big! :D

zeusse
November 21st, 2006, 02:41 PM

Well I guess your stuck with me cause I'll never make it big I'm just content with waking up in the morning:D

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM
Yup... in a band for 1½ years - mostly 80s covers, some originals.
Here's out link at BostonBands.com - man I really need to get a website up and going!

http://www.bostonbands.com/binfo.asp?recnum=6336
I think that your band's nickname should be

80D

cause if you read it fast it comes out A.D.D. & you mostly cover 80's tunes.

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM
At that point we'll be hanging with him! Verbs respect hierarchy.

Iago
November 21st, 2006, 10:16 PM
no, never. I made had some rehearsing not long ago.. and also some years.. but i could never call that a band. It`s really hard to find people to play with the same musical tastes as me.. :(

PassIt
November 21st, 2006, 10:30 PM
Im in a band, we just need to find a singer. We do really 80s sounding pop metal stuff mixed with some thrash/ speed metal. We do a few cover songs (mostly guns n roses and ozzy songs) and are working on some originals now. But its pretty exciting and I cant wait till we start doin gigs :) Ive got some friends in bands that do gigs and they say its really fun.

Plank_Spanker
November 22nd, 2006, 05:01 AM
Im in a band, we just need to find a singer. We do really 80s sounding pop metal stuff mixed with some thrash/ speed metal. We do a few cover songs (mostly guns n roses and ozzy songs) and are working on some originals now. But its pretty exciting and I cant wait till we start doin gigs :) Ive got some friends in bands that do gigs and they say its really fun.

Playing gigs is an absolute blast. :D

Carlström
November 22nd, 2006, 05:31 AM
I'm bassplayer in band right now. And hope to stay that for a long time since htis band is awesome fun to play in.

I've been in 3 bands before as guitarist and singer aswell.