PDA

View Full Version : The Hammer Daddies tackle Soulshine

helliott
June 22nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
I put this up with some trepidation given this is such a great song. But we have been working on it and recorded this at a recent gig. It's pretty much right off the floor with nothing done to it. You can tell it's live due to the goofs, including me totally losing on the closing solo. Still, pretty happy with the overall band sound. All comments welcome.

http://www.box.net/shared/n9fgz6ilpo

marnold
June 22nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure what you were so filled with trepidation about. I actually thought it had a bit of a The Band feel to it.

helliott
June 22nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks for listening. Sounding like The Band is a good thing, and actually, I hear that more now that you mentioned it, particularly in the organ/keys. Givenj it's an ABB/Gov't Mule song, that would be a different take. I guess it just sounds like, warts and all. Crowd seems to like it, which is the main thing.

sunvalleylaw
June 22nd, 2010, 09:09 PM
I like it quite a bit! Nice!

helliott
June 23rd, 2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks for listening, SVL!

Robert
June 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
That sounds great. What good live sound for the band. The drums sound nice and clear, which I think is hard to get when recording live.

Nice playing Helliott. What gear did you use?

helliott
June 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
Many thanks. All credit for the drum mic'ing to our bass player. He mic'd the kick, then just two others hung over each side of the kit, sort of room mic'ing I guess. Our drummer plays very hard, and that probably contributes to the clarity. I also think there was some neat bleeding into the guitar amp mic.
My gear here is a PRS CE-22 through a 90-watt Traynor 2X12. The extra kick comes from a Zonkin Yellow Tube Screamer boost, courtesy our own DVM.
Thanks for listening.

FrankenFretter
June 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Should we start referring to you as Warren Haynes? Great cover, I enjoyed that very much. Coincidentally, I just had a conversation with my guitar teacher about WH, and he broke into Soulshine. Gave me the tabs for it, too. Not that I could play the leads, but at least I can work on the rhythm parts.

Great job, Helliot!

helliott
June 24th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Sean:
Thanks a lot. You can refer to me as an aging student of the guitar still trying to get something half right, who would die a happy camper if I could string a half dozen notes together one-tenth as well as WH, who is one of my all-time favourites. If you get a chance to see him with ABB or Mule, do not miss it.

Spudman
June 24th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Like Marnold said, "I actually thought it had a bit of a The Band feel to it."
I don't even know who did this originally. It does remind me of The Band a lot. I like it and I usually don't like this style simply because it's over played where I live. Nice job.:applause

baldgit
June 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure what you were so filled with trepidation about. I actually thought it had a bit of a The Band feel to it.
What he said :applause

helliott
June 24th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks, guys. Very kind of all of you. I will share this positive re-enforcement with the guys, as it will help us keep trying to get better. Your time and listening are much appreciated.

Spudman
June 25th, 2010, 07:31 AM
We still are waiting to see some groupie pictures though.:pancake

helliott
June 25th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Soon as we actually meet some, we'll get their pix and you'll be the first to see 'em. You might wanna not hold your breath for that, though.

piebaldpython
July 1st, 2010, 08:28 PM
Nice version of Soulshine. I read the other comments first, then listened to the song. I couldn't imagine how Soushine could have a The Band vibe to it......but it does, which is a compliment. Keep up the good work.

omegadot
July 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Awesome. Wow.

helliott
July 21st, 2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks, everyone. Typical band angst, our keyboard player just told us he's leaving the band. Heavy sigh. Back to the drawing board,

aeolian
July 22nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
I am not familiar with the song so there is nothing to compare to, but this is a great, solid live performance. If there are any goofs from anyone in the band I think you guys are the only ones who can tell because I sure can't.

Eric
July 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks, everyone. Typical band angst, our keyboard player just told us he's leaving the band. Heavy sigh. Back to the drawing board,
That stinks. Good luck with figuring things out.

helliott
July 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks, Eric and Aeolian. We'll get to work, this time recruiting a lead singer (vocals not being our strong suit) and hopefully keeping keys, or another instrument. Such is the life of a weekend band.

Pickngrin
July 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
+1 Helliot. I really enjoyed that. Always loved that tune and you guys did it justice.

helliott
July 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Someone asked a while back if we had video of this, and I forgot to respond. My apologies. Here it is.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4364381/Soulshine.wmv

M29
July 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Nice job!! The vid is great to see too. Love this song.

:dude

helliott
July 29th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks for listening and commenting, M29 and Pickngrin, All constructive input really appreciated,
Howard