PDA

View Full Version : When do you replace your pick?

bcdon
June 22nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
So, when do you replace your pick? When it is no longer pointy or when you can't find it? If you buy more expensive picks (a la' V-picks) do the same rules apply?

markb
June 22nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
When I've held it between my teeth to free both hands so many times that it snaps in half. The teeth marks give extra grip and prevent anyone stealing them. :)

marnold
June 22nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
So, when do you replace your pick? When it is no longer pointy or when you can't find it? If you buy more expensive picks (a la' V-picks) do the same rules apply?
It used to be when it got blunted too much. The nice thing about the V-Pick Screamer is that it has three points so when one wears too much I can just spin it.

Robert
June 22nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
I replace my picks when the edges get wore down and too sharp. At that point, they provide a crappy tone. Now this doesn't really happen with V-picks and some other higher quality picks, because the material is different and wear and tear doesn't create the same kind of sharp edges that those plastic picks end up with. The V-picks just get a little more rounded, from what I can tell so far.

bcdon
June 22nd, 2010, 08:42 PM
When I've held it between my teeth to free both hands so many times that it snaps in half. The teeth marks give extra grip and prevent anyone stealing them. :)
Ahh... the old #2 pencil technique. BTW, when you have both hands free, what the hell are you doing? (you should at least devote one hand to a pint glass). :)

Spudman
June 22nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
The Dunlop Tortex picks I use get smaller and when it's noticeably smaller and too beveled on the tip then I donate them to the underworld.

If anyone want's a bunch of thin picks just let me know.

bcdon
June 22nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
The V-picks just get a little more rounded, from what I can tell so far.
So, do you continue to use them? Or do you switch to a more non-roundy pick?

Sorry for all the questions guys, but I've been spending all my mortgage money on picks and I'm trying to find a way to save the money. ;-)

bcdon
June 22nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
The Dunlop Tortex picks I use get smaller and when it's noticeably smaller and too beveled on the tip then I donate them to the underworld.

If anyone want's a bunch of thin picks just let me know.
Yeah, I'm using Dunlop Tortex right now as well. I'm going to play the same pick until I'm down to fingernails. ;)

Robert
June 22nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
So, do you continue to use them? Or do you switch to a more non-roundy pick?

Sorry for all the questions guys, but I've been spending all my mortgage money on picks and I'm trying to find a way to save the money. ;-)

Haha, well I just use the more rounded ones for a softer tone, and pick up a more pointy one for sharper tone. My box of picks is like the saying - "life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get". :)

bcdon
June 22nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Haha, well I just use the more rounded ones for a softer tone, and pick up a more pointy one for sharper tone. My box of picks is like the saying - "life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get". :)
Run, Forrest, Run!
http://bullyforme.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/forrestgumprunning.jpg

markb
June 22nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Ahh... the old #2 pencil technique. BTW, when you have both hands free, what the hell are you doing? (you should at least devote one hand to a pint glass). :)

Usually adjusting something like a mic stand. I wouldn't want to drink with a pick between my teeth. I'd probably choke!

sunvalleylaw
June 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM
When I lose them. I have not had too many wear down on me. Some of my torltex picks used to wear some, but not some my ultex so much.

otaypanky
June 22nd, 2010, 11:19 PM
I use a diamond type nail file to rough shape an edge then I'll use a woman's 3 grit nail buffing stick to smooth and polish the edge. This works great on V-Picks and anything else. Vinni also suggests that you wash the V-Picks with soap and water once in a while because after time they will accumulate the oil from your fingers. When you clean them they will regain their original stick to your fingers kind of feel.

Tone2TheBone
June 22nd, 2010, 11:30 PM
When I lose them. I have not had too many wear down on me. Some of my torltex picks used to wear some, but not some my ultex so much.

I'm with SVL on this one...when I drop them under the sofa. :thwap

Jimi75
June 23rd, 2010, 01:12 AM
When the edge wears of it feels to me like it's harder to pick exactly. So, it for me there's that certain feel a pick has to have, it doesn't automatically depend on what the edge looks like to me.

mainestratman
June 23rd, 2010, 03:43 AM
I use the Tortex .88, which never seem to wear down *too* much... of course, I lose picks like you wouldn't believe. Some I put "someplace safe", never to be seen again... most I lose when I throw it at my drummer for daydreaming while I'm trying to end a song. :-)

Eric
June 23rd, 2010, 04:10 AM
Depends on the type of pick. If it's one of those celluloid ones, they get shaved off pretty quickly, so it's either when they're too rounded or when they actually shatter (this has only happened a couple of times).

I just started using Tortex and they seem to hold up better, but I imagine it would be something similar like being worn down and becoming too rounded and thin.

mainestratman
June 23rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
I tried the celluloid ones, but they all break on me. :-(