PDA

View Full Version : Octaswitch! NG(ear)D!

deeaa
June 23rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
Got me one of these Carl Martin Octaswitch boards.

http://deeaa.pp.fi/clips/IMAG0260.jpg

If you're unfamiliar with it, it's basically 8 loops that can be programmed to eight footswitches in any combination you want, with true bypass to all else.

I have set it up simple; CH1 is tuner/mute CH2 is amp straight, CH3 is straight with compressor, CH4 is with Jackhammer, CH5 is with Vox OD, CH6 is Vox with compressor, CH7 is jack, vox & compression, 8 is still unused.

All include wah of course, first in chain.

I have left room for a delay still, but all in all I still have three loops & one channel left unused.

As it is, going from CH1 towards CH7 the gain increases nicely all the way thru; 6&7 are basically only for leads, or maybe 6 for metal riffs. But anyway.

VERY nice a pedal. Made a HUGE difference to how my pedals sound, and now I can finally pair the OD's as I want and with or without compression and NO tap dancing involved. The sounds change so seamlessly from cleanish to most drive it isn't even so big a deal whether I first hit like 5 or 6, as long as it's in the ballpark it'll fit the song/spot real nice.

Much recommend the device, I just kick myself for not having the sense of getting one years ago and having had to fight with keeping my pedals to a minimum and battling over their order and what affects what...now they all work as if they were the only pedal in front of the amp, just incredibly pure and no coloration from the next or previous pedal. I can't believe how much better my rig sounds now :-)

The only thing is I'll be ashamed to bring such a huge fracking board to any gig, and then play very basic simple rock :-)

Eric
June 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
That looks pretty cool, but yeah, the bulk factor remains, huh? Still, better than 50 line switchers.

deeaa
June 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah, big is NOT always best :-) but still, being able to program any effect combo to any button in seconds, just like with digital FX units but simpler - WELL worth it. The guy who thought this up is a friggin' genius! So simple yet so functional. (can you tell I'm still quite thrille from the joy of new gear, LOL)

hubberjub
June 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Nice man. I was going to buy one of those about a year ago but the band I was playing guitar with broke up. Congrats on the new toy.

Robert
June 23rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Cool! That thing looks huge but I'm sure it's useful.

Enjoy!

deeaa
June 23rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Yep, I was already close to getting me an M-9 or some other multiFX system just because I was so bored with fighting pedal orders and loss of sound and step-dancing to change sounds, and this thing does it all that M9 or any other FX unit would, only you get to choose every pedal yourself and freely change them around and swap etc. It's like made for me, who swaps and tests a dozen pedals a year :-) I'll likely have like 4 OD pedals hooked up to it in no time :-)

Commodore 64
June 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Hey deeaa, this is a little OT, but I just got a Marshall Jackhammer and Compressor pedal, just like yours from Eric. How do you like yours?

I need to make a pedal board for myself to test things without having to bend down and unplug/plug everything (i only have 1 power adapter).

That Octaswitch is cool, I might have to look into that too! I have a Allum modded Blues Driver, a Boss SD-1, A Boss OD-2, A Digitech Bad Monkey, and the 2 Marshall pedals to play with.

deeaa
June 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hey deeaa, this is a little OT, but I just got a Marshall Jackhammer and Compressor pedal, just like yours from Eric. How do you like yours?

I need to make a pedal board for myself to test things without having to bend down and unplug/plug everything (i only have 1 power adapter).

That Octaswitch is cool, I might have to look into that too! I have a Allum modded Blues Driver, a Boss SD-1, A Boss OD-2, A Digitech Bad Monkey, and the 2 Marshall pedals to play with.

I love them! especially the jack...OD mode, quarter or so gain, best od I ever played! just perfect marshall tone. The comp is best used for lead boost IMO. range to min. and go!