PDA

View Full Version : How About Those Lakers

MAXIFUNK
June 23rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
BACK TO BACK BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance :dance :happy :happy :dance :dance :happy :happy :dance :dance

Eric
June 23rd, 2010, 05:39 PM
Meh. The NBA is my favorite pro sports league, but I find it hideously boring when Kobe the Rapist battles the geriatric Celtics. This was about as boring an NBA finals as was possible, even with it going to game 7.

The Lakers are so scripted. Kobe and his precious girls after the win? So fake.

At least the draft should be interesting.

Tig
June 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
I was surprised they pulled it out in the last 5-6 minutes of game 7. Kobe wasn't there for the first 3 quarters, yet Boston wasn't playing at a high enough level to make the best of it. They payed dearly for that! It all made to a great 7 game final.

I'm not a Lakers fan for the same reason I'm not a Yankees fan... I don't like a best team money can buy thing. I may like a few players, however.
So, I was rooting for the underdog, even though I'm not a Boston fan.

R_of_G
June 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I'm not a Lakers fan for the same reason I'm not a Yankees fan... I don't like a best team money can buy thing.

Just curious how this applies to the Lakers but not the Celtics? Both teams' most recent runs have been built around bringing in high-priced talent. Just as much as over the last few years the Lakers added Gasol & Artest, the Celtics added Garnett and Allen to their starting rotation.

Incidentally, both teams also have exceptionally deep benches which is the real reason they've both made the finals so often recently. This is why Cleveland goes nowhere. This is why most teams in the East can't stand up to Boston for seven games.

I think the Lakers showed they are a lot more than just Kobe Bryant, and I think Kobe showed just who the best player in the NBA really is. No offense to LeBron, the guy is a phenomenal talent, but he has yet to show he has the so-called "clutch gene" that Kobe very clearly has.

Eric
June 28th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Just curious how this applies to the Lakers but not the Celtics? Both teams' most recent runs have been built around bringing in high-priced talent. Just as much as over the last few years the Lakers added Gasol & Artest, the Celtics added Garnett and Allen to their starting rotation.
There are many NBA teams that spend gobs of money, so I'm not sure it holds in basketball. I personally just get sick of seeing the Lakers in the finals and having them overhyped and pushed to the moon by the league and other media outlets.

Incidentally, both teams also have exceptionally deep benches which is the real reason they've both made the finals so often recently. This is why Cleveland goes nowhere. This is why most teams in the East can't stand up to Boston for seven games.
I don't personally think this is why Cleveland doesn't win. They don't win because they have nobody as a second option. Mo Williams always has been average to below average if you look at efficiency, and who else is there? An overaged Shaq? Anderson Varejao?

These teams have some decent bench players (particularly Odom), but in general I think they win because of their starting 5. Boston also has many cheap defensive tactics thanks to Tom Thibodeau, but Rondo/Allen/Garnett/Pierce are also just very good. I tend to dislike the whole "talent" argument, because what is talent anyway? Some people think Antoine Walker was talented. However, you need those superstars in the NBA.

I think the Lakers showed they are a lot more than just Kobe Bryant, and I think Kobe showed just who the best player in the NBA really is. No offense to LeBron, the guy is a phenomenal talent, but he has yet to show he has the so-called "clutch gene" that Kobe very clearly has.
The Lakers, in my opinion, won because of Gasol and Kobe. Gasol is such a skilled big man, he makes a huge difference. People think he's soft because he's European and white, but he is a big big reason why they win.

And yes, Kobe certainly is clutch. I really dislike the guy and his game and his hubris, but one thing you can say about him is that he is clutch.

MAXIFUNK
June 28th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Meh. The NBA is my favorite pro sports league, but I find it hideously boring when Kobe the Rapist battles the geriatric Celtics. This was about as boring an NBA finals as was possible, even with it going to game 7.

The Lakers are so scripted. Kobe and his precious girls after the win? So fake.

At least the draft should be interesting.

WE LOVE ALL THE KOBE HATE IN LA!!!!!!!!!

Eric
June 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM
WE LOVE ALL THE KOBE HATE IN LA!!!!!!!!!
I guess that's good; there's plenty of it to go around. I find him petulant and arrogant based on his public actions.

MAXIFUNK
June 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I guess that's good; there's plenty of it to go around. I find him petulant and arrogant based on his public actions.

I disagree totally but once again I'm not judging him on what the media says or projects.

I am basing it on my own interactions with the man. He is more aloof then the media darlings that where Magic & MJ! Which has tons to do with his bad press the truth be told.

So, he is a cheater, arrogant, selfish, etc etc etc sounds just like MJ and many other great sports personalities as far back as Babe Ruth or Jack Johnson!

Eric
June 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM
So, he is a cheater, arrogant, selfish, etc etc etc sounds just like MJ and many other great sports personalities as far back as Babe Ruth or Jack Johnson!
No disagreements here. Knowing that, it seems kind of dumb for me to still place value on a sports star's character.

Speaking of which, heard the latest Michael Vick news???

MAXIFUNK
June 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM
No disagreements here. Knowing that, it seems kind of dumb for me to still place value on a sports star's character.

Speaking of which, heard the latest Michael Vick news???

Yeah sort of something about being at a night club where a shooting happen.
Unless he's not suppose to be at a night club according to his reinstatement its pretty much a non-issue.

Unless he or his crew shoot somebody LOL!
It is hard to be young and famous, Derek Jeter ought to teach class on how to be on top and party your butt and stay out of drama.

Eric
June 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah sort of something about being at a night club where a shooting happen.
Unless he's not suppose to be at a night club according to his reinstatement its pretty much a non-issue.
He hosted a birthday party for himself, and someone he was forbidden to see (a co-defendant in the dog thing) as a result of the court ruling ended up shot at the end of the night as a result of an argument with Vick's group. Not saying he did anything, but he should seriously know better after all of the crap he's been through. Public opinion being what it is and everything.

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I was raised (as a Tacoman Sonics fan) to dislike the Lakers, though I tended to root for them against other teams. I did dislike the Laker's tendency (that at least used to exist, have not watched enough to be sure if it still does) to rope a dope, or rest on their laurels most of the game, then rely on the fourth quarter, or even last 10 minutes. Like Prefontaine, I always thought the athlete should run the whole race, not rely on strategy to win. Naive and unrealistic, I know.

In this contest, I mildly rooted for the Celtics. Underdog thing.

About Kobe's personal life, . . . meh, Not much to like based on the reports, but what do I really know. Not a big reason to commend or condemn him on the court. He is fun to watch play.

MAXIFUNK
June 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM
He hosted a birthday party for himself, and someone he was forbidden to see (a co-defendant in the dog thing) as a result of the court ruling ended up shot at the end of the night as a result of an argument with Vick's group. Not saying he did anything, but he should seriously know better after all of the crap he's been through. Public opinion being what it is and everything.
If those are the facts he is lacking major judgment or common sense and can not get out of his own way! SMH!!

R_of_G
June 29th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I don't personally think this is why Cleveland doesn't win. They don't win because they have nobody as a second option. Mo Williams always has been average to below average if you look at efficiency, and who else is there? An overaged Shaq? Anderson Varejao.

I think this is actually tied to my overall point about depth. Cleveland's starting five cannot compete with Boston (or Orlando when Howard stays out of foul trouble). Those teams have more options because they can go 6 or 7 (or in Boston's case 8 or 9) guys deep and still compete on both ends of the floor. With Cleveland, the game plan seemed to be for everyone to rebound and get it to LBJ as quickly as possible. Once per seven game series Mo Williams would have a good game but he's the epitome of inconsistent.

And I agree with you 100% on Gasol. I think he wasn't a dominant defensive big man when Garnett took him behind the woodshed in 2008, but he took that to heart and spent the last two years working on becoming what he is now, the most dominant big in the game on both ends of the floor. If only they could have a healthy Bynum full time, the Lakers might actually be the team they are hyped to be. Were I the Lakers, I'd look to sign A'Mare Stoudemire in free agency. A front court of Gasol, Stoudemire and Artest (the premier defensive small forward in the game) would be tough to face over seven games and provide all kinds of opportunities for Kobe to put an opponent down.

It's hard to say what will happen from here though as this free agency period is unlike others. The Lakers may be the only team to remain, more or less, intact.

MAXIFUNK
June 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I think this is actually tied to my overall point about depth. Cleveland's starting five cannot compete with Boston (or Orlando when Howard stays out of foul trouble). Those teams have more options because they can go 6 or 7 (or in Boston's case 8 or 9) guys deep and still compete on both ends of the floor. With Cleveland, the game plan seemed to be for everyone to rebound and get it to LBJ as quickly as possible. Once per seven game series Mo Williams would have a good game but he's the epitome of inconsistent.

And I agree with you 100% on Gasol. I think he wasn't a dominant defensive big man when Garnett took him behind the woodshed in 2008, but he took that to heart and spent the last two years working on becoming what he is now, the most dominant big in the game on both ends of the floor. If only they could have a healthy Bynum full time, the Lakers might actually be the team they are hyped to be. Were I the Lakers, I'd look to sign A'Mare Stoudemire in free agency. A front court of Gasol, Stoudemire and Artest (the premier defensive small forward in the game) would be tough to face over seven games and provide all kinds of opportunities for Kobe to put an opponent down.

It's hard to say what will happen from here though as this free agency period is unlike others. The Lakers may be the only team to remain, more or less, intact.

you make a lot of good points about Cleveland players without heart and a coach who really needed to look a the big picture not just how to make KING JAMES look great. They lack ball movement and a willingness to fight when behind. They only look good when they are a front runner no way they would ever come from 13 down in the 2nd half and win a game as that roster stands now. A team built for the regular season not the playoffs.

As far as the Lakers goes this free agency period it will fall out this way.

1. Sign and trade for Chris Bosh with Bynum moving to Toronto. Not likely but makes them instant repeat favs if the pull this off.

2. D Wade and Kobe are real close friends they bring in D Wade and trade Lamar Odom and cut a few others from the bench with 5 million plus contracts. Which moves D Fish to the bench and saves his legs for the playoffs. A MAJOR PIPE DREAM OF MINE but if it happens I would not be shocked at all. and if it does look for my number 3 to happen soon after.

3. The most likely thing to happen because it keeps the current squad in place (or id #2 happens) but adds real depth and fire power Carlos Boozer was almost a laker a few years ago it will happen this time because he is not the most desired free agent but his hussle and toughness will fit in well in the triangle.

Amare plays very little D that will never cut it in LA and he'll cost way more than he is worth.

I can not wait to see how it all plays out. In all honesty the Lakers will get one of the top free agents because they want to make sure they get Phil back for real shot at a 3 peat.

R_of_G
June 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Easiest way to contrast Laker vs Cavalier depth is like this...

Kobe went 6 for 24 shooting in game seven and the Lakers still won. Could the Cavaliers win a game seven with LBJ going 6 for 24? Very unlikely.

Of all the big name free agents, the one I am most sure will re-up with his current team is Wade. Who he convinces to come join him seems to be the biggest media circus since Brett Favre's Annual Will He/Won't He Extravaganza.

I think part of the reason Stoudemire never plays defense is because he's never had to with the coaches he's had. Phoenix usually plays the "first one to 125 points wins" strategy. Phil, or the heir to Phil's legacy, will continue to stress defense because it's how the Lakers won the title this year.

Eric
June 30th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Easiest way to contrast Laker vs Cavalier depth is like this...

Kobe went 6 for 24 shooting in game seven and the Lakers still won. Could the Cavaliers win a game seven with LBJ going 6 for 24? Very unlikely.
I think those Laker prognostications on free agency a couple of posts back were a bit delusional, and maybe that's what annoys me about the Lakers: all of the fans I've known think they're entitled, and that they'll get all of the free agents. I guess I want to see that arrogance knocked down a few dozen pegs.

To your point, the entire Lakers team shot extremely poorly in that last game (0.325 FG%, 0.349 EFG%, 0.418 TS%), with Kobe as one of the worst. However, they killed it in terms of possessions, with about 100 possessions to Boston's 79 (approximating FT possessions without looking at the game log). That was enough to overcome a really bad shooting night from everyone, including their main star.

So I guess my point is that it's not like everyone else on the Lakers was lights-out and picked up the slack for Kobe, but I see your point and I agree. The Lakers are a much better team than the Cavs. I'm not necessarily trying to take anything away from Kobe, but if you removed both players from their teams, I predict the Cavs would be a worse team. Probably.

Of all the big name free agents, the one I am most sure will re-up with his current team is Wade. Who he convinces to come join him seems to be the biggest media circus since Brett Favre's Annual Will He/Won't He Extravaganza.

I think part of the reason Stoudemire never plays defense is because he's never had to with the coaches he's had. Phoenix usually plays the "first one to 125 points wins" strategy. Phil, or the heir to Phil's legacy, will continue to stress defense because it's how the Lakers won the title this year.
I'm just shrugging my shoulders and waiting to see what happens. I actually would like LBJ, Wade, and Bosh to sign somewhere together, because I want them all to win, but that would tend to make for the exact dynasty that I despise. Ironic.

I have no clue what will happen to the futures of the lower-level starts like Amare, Joe Johnson, and Carlos Boozer. Amare has made it clear in the past that he doesn't really like to rebound or play D, and he wants/needs to score if he's to put forth the effort on those things. He could possibly be motivated by a real strict coach, but I feel like he's just as likely to implode and flame out as a one-dimensional player. I do agree with what you said about the Suns' coaches and Amare's career to date.

MAXIFUNK
June 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I think those Laker prognostications on free agency a couple of posts back were a bit delusional, and maybe that's what annoys me about the Lakers: all of the fans I've known think they're entitled, and that they'll get all of the free agents. I guess I want to see that arrogance knocked down a few dozen pegs.

Delusional now that is funny but lets put it this way getting Chamberlain, Kareem, Magic, Worhty, Mcadoo, Shaq, Gasol, & Kobe for matter they all joined the team when you least expected it. The history speaks for its self the Lakers always seems to answer a changing NBA in a positive correct way!

Arrogance does not have a damn thing to do with it the teams history proves they will go all out to put a quality product on the court 31 trips the NBA finals speaks to that which can not be dismissed or ignored.

LIKE I STATED I LOVE THE LAKERS & KOBE HATE!!!

I was at game 6 & 7 in the owners box & meet Dr. Buss when I was HEF's bodyguard and have talk B-Ball with him since 1994 the insight into what he thinks and what he'll do to win has taught more about basketball than anything I ever heard on TV or on-line. Have we talk about this years free agency no. But I do know he under bid on Boozer before and was pissed about it and he also knows he'll need to add somebody this off season and he may be his cheapest way to do that.

We'll see how it pans out starting tomorrow July 1st.

Eric
June 30th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Arrogance does not have a damn thing to do with it the teams history proves they will go all out to put a quality product on the court 31 trips the NBA finals speaks to that which can not be dismissed or ignored.
I was going to reply to more of this, but I'll limit it to this part. Arrogance is arrogance. It has nothing to do with whether history bears it out or not. I feel like that's a common societal misconception -- that if you can back it up, you can be as overbearing as you want to be.

Arrogance simply means overbearing pride or superiority and presumptuous claims. It has nothing to do with history or whether the claims are accurate. Humility is the opposite of arrogance.

As for the rest of it, you might be right about free agency. I took a chance by writing that before the signings took place, but I didn't just want to cower until I was proved right.

Even if you are right, I'd still like the Lakers to get stiffed sometime just so all of the Laker fans can eat some crow. It's not your league -- you still need teams to play against.

It's hard for me not to get fired up about this, but I hope I'm not making you too angry. No hard feelings on this end.

MAXIFUNK
June 30th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I was going to reply to more of this, but I'll limit it to this part. Arrogance is arrogance. It has nothing to do with whether history bears it out or not. I feel like that's a common societal misconception -- that if you can back it up, you can be as overbearing as you want to be.

Arrogance simply means overbearing pride or superiority and presumptuous claims. It has nothing to do with history or whether the claims are accurate. Humility is the opposite of arrogance.

As for the rest of it, you might be right about free agency. I took a chance by writing that before the signings took place, but I didn't just want to cower until I was proved right.

Even if you are right, I'd still like the Lakers to get stiffed sometime just so all of the Laker fans can eat some crow. It's not your league -- you still need teams to play against.

It's hard for me not to get fired up about this, but I hope I'm not making you too angry. No hard feelings on this end.

Angry no NEVER I love the banter I can talk LAKERS & STEELERS ALL DAY LONG IF I LET MYSELF.

WELL if pride in your team is arrogance then so be it. Also ones history does leads to ones perspective of once self or team or city or etc. etc. etc. Losers never talk smack, ever hear much from CUB FANS? But from where I sit all I have seen on-line lately or from the east coast is a bunch of unbiased LAKERS hate and this goes back to the "SHOWTIME" days. I Grew up on the east coast and I remember in the 1980's on the east coast the Celtics V.S. The Lakers pretty fell along racial lines which team you routed for the most part. And the lines where clearly drawn and the verbiage was not anything to repeat around children. LOL So, anytime the LAKERS beat the Celtics you damn skippy I enjoy it!!!! As for all the rest we'll see how it all plays out.