PDA

View Full Version : Do you have charisma?

poodlesrule
June 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
The poor excuse of a beer from Holland (with a green label) runs an ad in a local rag:

Charisma.
You can't buy it.
You can't make it.
And you sure can't fake it.

Seriously, do you have natural charisma, or do you have to work at it, and is it "invoked" when going about your musical activities?

Agreed, it is a bit of a vague, open-ended question, but valid, still.
Let's see your stuff!

marnold
June 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM
Sorry, that's my dump stat. (If you get that joke, I feel very sorry for you.)

markb
June 23rd, 2010, 09:26 PM
No, I have charisn'tma :)

Eric
June 24th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I looked it up. Hardy har.

marnold
June 24th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Getting back to the original post, I'm not the kind of guy that can sell ice to Eskimos or anything like that. But in my line of work some leadership skills are absolutely necessary. So I have a certain amount of it, but I'm by no means an extraordinarily charismatic guy (in either the personal or the theological sense).

Tig
June 24th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Musically, I'm still working on skills and licks. Charisma will have to show up later.

Personally, I have enough to get by. I'm not a BS'er like a sales type, though.
I see myself as a more sincere, warm personality, not a Mr. Outgoing/Type A/Life of the Party.

tunghaichuan
June 24th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Nope, none, zilch, zip, nada.

I'm an inwardly focused, introverted type.

It still surprises me that I actually found a woman to marry.

Robert
June 24th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Nope, I'm dead boring.

kiteman
June 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Charisma falls on Dec 25. :dance

Heywood Jablomie
June 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Actually, quite the opposite. And yet I, too, have a wonderful wife.

Robert
June 24th, 2010, 10:24 AM

2 points to kiteman for that!
:thumbsup
:thumbsup

mainestratman
June 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Jerk. You took my joke. :poke

I was gonna say "I only rolled a 13 there".. *winkwinknudgenudge*

LOL

FrankenFretter
June 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Should I be scared that I figured that out right quick without having to look it up? It's been a VERY long time since I played AD&D, but for some reason I still think about that game every time I see the word charisma. Guess I'm still a nerd.

oldguy
June 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Like this?
I don't think so.:dance

4m4tfZp01D0

hubberjub
June 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM
It depends on my alcohol intake.

pes_laul
June 24th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I have been told I am a natural leader. and I apparently have a way with words. But I dont believe it haha

poodlesrule
June 24th, 2010, 07:40 PM

As in, "I am trough with this POS, I am getting a new amph for Charisma!" ?

-

markb
June 24th, 2010, 08:16 PM
It depends on my alcohol intake.

I find mine depends on the alcohol intake of whoever I'm talking to :socool

deeaa
June 25th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Over time, Ive learnt to employ some charisma. Finns are usually very shy and reserved in many situations, for instance guys trying to hit pn girls its often really pathetic, people just dont know how to show interest or talk up a girl.

When I worked in the U.S. some of that American talkativeness and style of talking to girls rubbed on me, and when I came back it seemed like I could just go to a bar and pick a girl almost, never was short for company any more. Simply because the competition there would just dare to like stare at girls or wink maybe, while I was alredy there joking and smiling and making friends.

Talkative foreigners usually love Finnish bars, because its so easy for them to get pretty girls interested in them.

In the US it seemed to me kids would talk of dating and chicks already in their pre-teens. And then they would take chicks to dates and PAY for food etc...never happens here. I never took a girl out on date until like 18 years old, and itd have been strange if I would pay for stuff.

In short, in US guys fight and beg and pay for dates with girls, here its more like guys wait for girls to come and ask them out. I have been picked up by girls a lot more times than I have picked up a girl.

I guess thats one reason our president and prime minister are both women, and most academic and such positions are held by women. A lot more women than men in universities too - in my whole year class we had 20 women and three guys and one of those was gay. Men go for jobs like plumbing and engineering etc.

deeaa
June 25th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Btw also in my family, I have a masters degree and never wanted any more, while my missus has a doctoral degree :-) but my pay is much better. Had I become a plumber instead, I would probably make like 50% more money still.

Eric
June 25th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Hmm. I was having difficulty figuring out for myself what charisma actually means. I know what it insinuates in a vague sense, but that didn't help much.

Looking up a few definitions, I think I can say "no." I can lead in certain circumstances (e.g. when there's no one else who tries to lead), and I certainly talk a lot, but I'm far too objective and analytical to have much in the way of charm or charisma. People follow me and tend to want to talk to me, but I think that's more because I'll talk all day and I accept them than it is anything else.

I've spent so many years of my life being put down and ignored that it's honestly kind of hard for me to talk as though people want to listen to me. I just talk, but with no expectation of an audience. I think charisma requires you talking and knowing that people want to listen to you. At least that's my impression of it.

Jimi75
June 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM
According to the official definition I'd say I have almost none.
But it's okay, I can live with it.

sunvalleylaw
June 25th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I guess I do. I am outgoing, like to make friends and meet people wherever I am, at a party, camping, skiing, whatever. I am likely to say hi and find something to talk about. Didn't used to be that way, I used to be pretty shy.

Now machismo, that I probably don't have. LOL!

poodlesrule
June 25th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Interesting how many posters relate charisma to work situations, a big part of everyday life.

I can only think of one boss who had charisma -she had a work house party once with custom tee shirts reading "The Marketing and Tequila Dinking Society... Who got the worm?" ...! Hard worker, very fair boss.

As the OP, and also like deeaa, not raised in the U.S., I only thought of the work aspect tangentially, focusing more on social or musical situations.

We are all different. How cool!