PDA

View Full Version : Nutha newb!

fatoomsh
June 23rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hi all
Found you guys by accident. Bassist (Stingray). Had an SWR rig but cat climbed into the back of it and got stuck so had to cut everything to peices to get it out. Cat lasted 2 days inside the amp. Amp lasted 15 minutes once cat was found.
Before you ask, the children were watching, therefore the amp and cabinet were sacrificed and not the cat. Sold what was left and cried quietly to myself. Didn't play again for 5 years but...
...I just found an old Tubeworks RT-3300 (handmade in the US by B K Butler) for what would equate to US$175. But its mint! Hardly been used. Now I'm amping to get some like-mindeds together and play.
Forum looks really interesting. Look forward to talking to you all.:rockya

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Welcome! That is quite a story!

Robert
June 23rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
Welcome! I have heard of "bass cut" when mixing, but never heard of "bass cat" before... ;)

Monkus
June 23rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Who let the cat out the amph??? Welcome !!!

Commodore 64
June 24th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Cats. Gotta Love 'Em. (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14996)

marnold
June 24th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Welcome! In similar circumstances, I would have been shopping for a cat-a-pult.

Tig
June 24th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Welcome to The Fret!
:beer:
When you get a chance, tell us more about you, your gear, music interests, etc.

FrankenFretter
June 24th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Welcome to The Fret! I actually thought all bass amps smelled that way. Maybe all bass players have cats?

Spudman
June 24th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Great story and welcome to thefret.

fatoomsh
June 27th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Hey all
Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading some great threads by you all.
Brief bio -
I was bought up listening to CCR, Led Zep and the Beatles. Learnt how to play guitar early on and kept playing till about 13 then needed something new(stupid teenager). Fiddled with my brothers drums when he wasn't looking for about 5 years then realised there was a bassist drought and sold all my bits and pieces for a bass rig when I was about 20.
I've spent years playing rock(led zep, etc), blues(hendrix, srv, etc) and heavy metal (sabbath, sepultura, etc)both as a hobby and preofessionally. I'm now playing more for fun with a couple of mates doing songs we like. Mainly rock I guess. Anything by Josh Homme, The Melvins, still doing some Zeppelin, that sort of stuff, and writing our own material. Its all about tone for me. I'm funny that way and that probably explains my interest in hendrix, zeppelin and homme, who are or were all a bit anal about tone. We spend hours buggering around with a mountain of effects pedals my guitarist has amassed. I've got a bit of a thing for the big bass muff at the moment coz I likes it a bit dirty. I'm sure that will change though. You know how it goes.
Favourite bassist is probably JPJ but there are many more.

markb
June 27th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I can report that carpet covered cabinets and cats don't coexist nicely. Carpet on cabs is exactly like the stuff they put on scratching posts. I lost a fair bit on my nice PA cabs due to their being extremely "catted".

Hi, Fatoomsh and good on ya for filling the bass shortage at a time of need :)

sunvalleylaw
June 27th, 2010, 05:36 PM
The Melvins. Very cool. Don't hear too many people dropping that reference. I would love to hear some of your covers some time, and am always up for hearing originals. Got any links?

fatoomsh
June 27th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry mate, no links as yet.
I love King Buzzo! Saw the Melvins a few years back and they were unreal!

Some friends of mine have just released their new album though, check this out.

http://www.myspace.com/cairoknifefight

Brian Krashpad
July 2nd, 2010, 05:57 AM
Welcome mate!

duhvoodooman
July 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Welcome to TheFret! :thumbsup

This seems like as good an excuse as any to tell (yes, once again!) my favorite bass player joke:

Q: What did the bass player get on his SAT's?

A: Drool.

I kill me.... :rollover

guitarhack
July 13th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Welcome to TheFret! :thumbsup

This seems like as good an excuse as any to tell (yes, once again!) my favorite bass player joke:

Q: What did the bass player get on his SAT's?

A: Drool.

I kill me.... :rollover

Geez :thwap

mrmudcat
August 3rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
welcome