PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Key Help

jt3x7
June 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I have a Samick acoustic guitar with no tuning keys whatsoever. I believe it originally had a set of Grovers. I would like to add a set of locking keys and would appreciate it if someone could point me to a proper set, a set that would fit. Would a set of Grovers fit? Other brands?

Thank you.

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab190/rascal-gabby/Picture569.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab190/rascal-gabby/Picture570.jpg

markb
June 24th, 2010, 03:47 AM
First you need o get those bushings out. Try using a small screwdriver against the back side of the bushing (CAREFULLY!!). You may need to give it a tap with something. They should push right out.

Next, measure the diameter of the bushings. They will be either 9 or 10mm.

Third, order a set of tuning pegs from somewhere like stewmac.com with the same bushing size.

Finally, I don't see why you'd want locking tuners on an acoustic. They are designed for use with vibrato units like on the Fender Stratocaster. Acoustics don't slip out that much.

kiteman
June 24th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Also the locking tuners adds weight to the headstock and may make it top heavy. Go with premium tuners and use the string lock technique (see Robert's post in sticky on top).

jt3x7
June 24th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Finally, I don't see why you'd want locking tuners on an acoustic. They are designed for use with vibrato units like on the Fender Stratocaster. Acoustics don't slip out that much.

So, it's not a common practice to put them on acoustics? I'm just getting back into guitar, but I had a Guild years ago which had them(previous owner had put them on, not me) and I loved them. It stayed in tune better than any acoustic I've ever had. Thanks.

jt3x7
June 24th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Also the locking tuners adds weight to the headstock and may make it top heavy. Go with premium tuners and use the string lock technique (see Robert's post in sticky on top).

Okay. Thank you.