PDA

View Full Version : Hi all - From the very beginning

Zel
June 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hello all,

So here's the story, I'm very new at trying to play the guitar. I've smashed around on it pretending that I can play, but nothing ever sounds as it should, even though I enjoy it.

My uncle give me a Washburn LII - at least I think that's what it is, three years ago, just before I started uni, I've never learned how to play and really want to start. I don't really have the time nor money to buy lessons yet, but now that I've finished uni I'm about to start a full time job and want to learn how to play this instrument, I absolutely love rock music, and especially the songs that I get goosebumps from when I hear a great guitar solo. It happens a lot, and I think its about time for me to be able to create these kind of riffs.

Any suggestions on what I should do to start out, like I said I'm completely new to this and have very little knowledge in reading music or even the cords on my guitar.

Thanks

This is my guitar

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6008/img0111au.jpg

Eric
June 24th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hi Zel. Welcome!

There are a bunch of good resources here for learning how to play -- I'm sure people will have lots of suggestions. My best idea is to make some friends who play and learn from them.

Tig
June 24th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Zel. You've come to a great place full of helpful people.
Here's a great thread to get you started called, yes, "Some advice on getting started":
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11248

Dig around some older threads and you'll find plenty of useful treasures.

progrmr
June 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM
welcome! As for where to start, I'd figure out what music you'd most like to play and learn a couple of songs. I find that actually doing is the best way to learn.

FrankenFretter
June 24th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Welcome aboard, Zel! That's a nice looking Washburn. Hope you find the time to play it!

Zel
June 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah, At the moment I'm really into Radiohead, Kings of Leon, Biffy Clyro etc. I downloaded a video tutorial earlier, 8g worth and did the hour introduction lesson, and have to say, the tips of my fingers feel like they're going to fall off after playing the first 4 fretts over and over for just under an hour. But I've learnt quite a lot in just a small amount of time, there's 5 sections with 12 video's in each and the video's are about an hour long and they range from beginners all the way up to master.

By the way, I dont suppose any can identify what kind of washburn it is? Some background info on her wouldn't go a miss.

Zel

Spudman
June 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Zel. I'm sure one of the guys will come along shortly and tell you which model Washburn that is. We have a few folks here that are really into Washburns.

sunvalleylaw
June 24th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hi Zei! I was a very much a noob to guitar when I joined and found lots of help here. I think that guitar looks like it would be nice!

Monkus
June 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Welcome! Our forum guru Robert has lessons on Dolphinstreet.com and there's poster Mark Wein's lessons as well. Check em out !

fatoomsh
June 27th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Zel. My suggestion is play and play and play and play and play and play. Only time and practice makes you better. There are no short cuts. The pain in your fingers will go away but only if you play through it. If your finger tips start to break down (and they might if you use old or heavy strings) dip them in meths once a day for a week and they harden up. Thats about all I can offer you. Somone else said to team up with other musos and thats a great idea as long as you realise that they may be at a different level to you and theres nothing you can do about it except practice. As you get better, you love it more. As you love it more, you get better.
Oh and always remember to ROCK:dude

stevec71
July 5th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Zel

Hope the practising is going well.
I notice you are into some pretty cool bands etc
I've just worked out Biffy Clyro "Many of Horror" took me ages..well worth looking at as its really addictive playing it.

If you like Radiohead then work on "street spirit" only about 3 to 4 chords but its great for picking out some single string work...keep playing dude

Tig
December 16th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hi !
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Smells like Spam in here?

http://torontoemerg.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/spam.gif

Monkus
December 17th, 2010, 02:47 PM
welcome !

cosywas
June 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Practising is the only way but make sure you practise what is right because you may develop mistakes at the begining which will be hard to eliminate thereafter, Iam also a beginner, self taughet, now working on bar chords, though its really hard for without a teacher but Iam progressing
The challenge now is chord progression with bare chords

Keep rocking:running:

Tig
June 17th, 2011, 09:26 PM
now working on bar chords, though its really hard for without a teacher but Iam progressing
The challenge now is chord progression with bare chords

Welcome to The Fret, cosywas!

A quick tip that helped me with bar chords...
Place your thumb directly under (on the back side of the neck, of course) the finger you are using to bar with. It helps leverage the baring finger, kind of like pinching the thumb and index finger together. Hope this makes sense.