PDA

View Full Version : NAD - Vox AD15VT

progrmr
June 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
So I wanted a tube amp for my new ibanez artcore - decided to get a used Vox AD15VT. While it's not all tube it does have the tube preamp. Several sound clips were very good and perfect for blues/jazz.

Only spent $100. hope I didn't buy a lemon. Any experience with this amp?

Monkus
June 25th, 2010, 12:40 PM
In researching for an amph myself, I've only come across good reviews, hope you enjoy it !

progrmr
June 25th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Ok, quick review about this amp. Bear in mind I'm using an Ibanez Artcore AG86 TRD with SD Phat Cat in the bridge. I just had the guitar setup and 11's installed.

The presets are not doing anything for me at all. I'm pretty surprised, but the bass is completely overwhelming and muddying the sound even when I'm in the bridge only position.

There is some pretty killer distortion presets, but I bought it for mostly clean jazz and blues.

I didn't like my line 6 spider 4 when I first got it and came to like it, so I'm still hopeful. This one is just about as tricky to program :) I did find a Vox fansite that has some settings and I found a pretty good hollow body setup which does sound pretty good. Added a touch of reverb and it's ok but not great.

It IS better than the spider IV though, even though I haven't spent a lot of time with this amp. So that's good.

Overall though I have to say that I'm fearing this isn't going to work for me, but I'm hopeful.

markb
June 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
The valve in a VOX isn't in the preamp. It's much cleverer than that, they use the valve as a low powered output stage and then get a ss power amp to do the heavy lifting. It works. The volumes before the master control this valve power stage so if you want to use the amp to its best keep the master down and the second volume high.

progrmr
June 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks! I think part of it is just learning how to work with the settings but I'll try that for sure.

Radioboy950
June 26th, 2010, 09:45 PM
progrmr, hope you find success with the Valvetronix.

I have the 50watt 1X12 version and find the Boutique Clean model (with a touch of reverb) spectacular.

I really don't even have to tweak the tone controls for this model.

With the other models, especially those with distortion, I find I have to roll back the bass to reduce some of the mud, and add a little treble for clarity.

Took some time for me to figure out how to get the most out of it, but it's a pretty cool amp for the price.

Good luck.

deeaa
June 26th, 2010, 11:24 PM
That's funny because I found my AD30VT wayyyyyyy too clear and trebly, but after installing a much darker Celestion speaker it rocks pretty amazingly well now. The stock speaker was all too hi-fi to sound respectable IMO.

Maybe it's because I only use EMG85 pickups, they do tend to bring out all the frequencies from amps, whenever I try playing passive pickups it's like putting earplugs on or something...there is just virtually no proper response or clarity to passives when compared with active PU's.

Eric
June 29th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Maybe it's because I only use EMG85 pickups, they do tend to bring out all the frequencies from amps, whenever I try playing passive pickups it's like putting earplugs on or something...there is just virtually no proper response or clarity to passives when compared with active PU's.
Question about this. I recently traded for a Godin Redline with an EMG81 in the bridge, a volume knob, and that's it. I really like the way it plays, but it's tough to get a decent clean tone out of it after some brief fiddling.

There are times when I need to arpeggiate some chords without it coming off as stinging, aggressive, or weak. I'm perfectly OK just using another guitar for that application and saving the Godin for other purposes, but do you have any input on how to adjust for active pickups? It plays so well, it would obviously be fun to use it for all applications.

I should mention that while I didn't work hard on getting cleans out of it by myself, it seems like I had more luck. BUT...as we all know, bedroom and live situations are completely different animals. It just went into distortionland almost immediately and stayed there. Is it as simple as just turning the gain way down and otherwise treating it as normal? I'm just not quite used to active pups.

deeaa
June 29th, 2010, 08:59 AM
An 81 is mostly for drive, yeah. Thats why I prefer 85. But the main thing with actives is, you must use the volume. I use it all the time. I dont have a clean sound per se at all, I just cut the guitar vol to quarter or so for cleans. Go for that volume knob! Once I went active and understood how to use them, I will never go back. But remember the 81 is eqd for great tight drive. 85 has much more bottom and warmth.

Eric
June 29th, 2010, 10:01 AM
An 81 is mostly for drive, yeah. Thats why I prefer 85. But the main thing with actives is, you must use the volume. I use it all the time. I dont have a clean sound per se at all, I just cut the guitar vol to quarter or so for cleans. Go for that volume knob! Once I went active and understood how to use them, I will never go back. But remember the 81 is eqd for great tight drive. 85 has much more bottom and warmth.
But...didn't you say here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=15560) that you don't use the volume knob? I'm confused on that one, but will give it a go with the volume knob.

Why are you such a fan of active pups? And by "understood how to use them" did you just mean using the volume knob to control the amount of drive? I remember you saying active pickups were the only thing you could use to get a good lead sound and then chord without the chords sounding all boomy, but I actually found the opposite in my experimenting so far: when leads are at the right level, chords are WAY too loud.

I'm just working on figuring it out, since it seems like it's a good concept (greater inductance without disrupting the string vibrations).

Oh....uh. I guess I've kind of gone off topic. Sorry.

deeaa
June 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM
That was while I used a volume pedal which did the same thing. I love actives for two main reasons: they dont color the guitar sound (I feel) but instead they reproduce all that the guitar has. Secondly, there is no noise or interference. Most people I think use actives for extreme drive but I like them best with a clean tube amp. 81s I always found to be bit of one trick ponys though. I have one in one guitar. But how to use them means with actives you need to rethink the drive settings etc...they have so much more oomph, And chaining peda.s doesnt work. They need to be plugged in quite dirext to a tube. But then they just give such great response and sonic width. Thats why I use them.

Eric
June 29th, 2010, 10:53 AM
That was while I used a volume pedal which did the same thing. I love actives for two main reasons: they dont color the guitar sound (I feel) but instead they reproduce all that the guitar has. Secondly, there is no noise or interference. Most people I think use actives for extreme drive but I like them best with a clean tube amp. 81s I always found to be bit of one trick ponys though. I have one in one guitar. But how to use them means with actives you need to rethink the drive settings etc...they have so much more oomph, And chaining peda.s doesnt work. They need to be plugged in quite dirext to a tube. But then they just give such great response and sonic width. Thats why I use them.
I wasn't totally sure when you were referring to 81s vs. active pups in general in this part, but I think that helps a bit. I'll spend some more time trying to find more usable tones and see if I can figure them out. Actives do get pigeonholed as high-gain extraordinaire pups frequently, but I want to explore them a bit more thoroughly. I get the feeling it will involve kind of relearning my instincts about gain levels, but that's fine by me.

Eric
July 12th, 2010, 04:26 PM
As an update, I read somewhere that a weak battery can mean lost headroom on active pups, so I checked the 9v that was already in there. The result? It was something like 2.8 volts!! No wonder it sounded crappy!

I replaced it with a new(er) 9v and it's behaving much better. I kind of like the active pup now, or at least I see potential in it. Just figured I'd let you know.

Sorry for hijacking this, progrmr...