PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the equipment when the band breaks up?

bigoldron
June 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Jimi started the thread about how you split any money. I'm going to take it one step further and ask "What do you do with the equipment when the band breaks up?"

I understand that if it's YOUR equipment you're going to keep it, but what about equipment bought with part or all of the band's earnings?

Spudman
June 25th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I've always found it best not to own anything as a band unit. If you look at Jimi's thread I mention the Investment Incentive Program. Everyone buys something they will be happy to own and will contribute to the band's image. When the band breaks up everyone gets to leave with what they have paid for so it mostly prevents those awkward issues from coming up.

In one instance we did collectively purchase a vehicle. When the band dissolved the van was sold and paid off. The remaining balance was split equally because the payments for it were made off the top of the gig money. Everyone paid the same. It's much easier to sell a vehicle than musical equipment.

hubberjub
June 25th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I join bands based on whether I would be friends with the members if I didn't play an instrument. When my last band broke up it wasn't a question of how we would split up the equipment, it was what is our next project going to be like? My current band has four of the same members as the last.

deeaa
June 26th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Much the same here, hubber. I have in the past been in situations where gear has been divided, but it jas been easy. Almost everything has been paid by me anyway...it is nigh impossib.e to find players with any money to spend. 90% of musicians I know are always broke and can hardly pay for new strings. They might be able to somehow buy a 2000 do.lar guitar amp but they cant evr pay u back the 20 you loaned a year back, or pay their share of rent etc.

deeaa
June 26th, 2010, 04:35 AM
That btw is probably because if you have a steady regular job and family you most likely have no time for band playing. Being a teacher I often have free time even middle of day etc...but almost all band players are jobless and spend their time in bars. And there is no frigging way you can make a living by playing, unless you play 5 nights a week for spme dance band or something.

Katastrophe
June 26th, 2010, 07:35 AM
There's a couple of ways to go about it.

1. Sell off the equipment and divide the proceeds in proportion to the amount the band members individually paid.

2. Each band member picks the piece of equipment that they want, and purchases it from the other band members, the proceeds of which are split among the band members.

As long as the relationship is civil, and everyone realizes that the equipment will be sold at a loss (no one will get the money out that they put in), it will work.

What sucks is when a band member attempts to run off with a piece of equipment. That can require some creative negotiating to get it back.

mainestratman
June 26th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm avoiding this whole issue and just buying whatever's needed myself.

Every penny from my share of gig money goes right to the music store. But I'm okay with that.

Brian Krashpad
July 2nd, 2010, 06:49 AM
Currently all my bands have separate gear for all the players, with the possible exception of the "hippy" side band (Cinnamon Hill); the PA for that band might be co-owned by a couple of the members but I'm not sure.

In the past I've been in a band with a band-owned PA; on breakup I kept the PA and bought out the other members' interests therein. It can be a mess if people don't agree though.

gregsguitars
July 2nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
you could just pack it all up and send it to me.......: )

Jimi75
July 2nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
I was once in the situation when the band split and we had to think about what to do with the equipment.

We have decided to sell everything on the bay and to split the money. It was a good decision.