PDA

View Full Version : LED's Help with Wiring

Kazz
June 26th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I am trying to design a moonlight effect for our 55gal aquarium. I bought the soft white (read blue) leds off of Ebay quite a while back and each led comes with a resister to help the voltage drop.

I have drilled out the board i want to mount and have space for 15 ledsd. What I cannot find is a decent diagram to use to wire them up. I am going to be using old wall wart with either 12vdc or 9vdc voltage and pretty low on the current but I will have to dig it up to get any further details.

What I need is for one of you gurus to draw me a rough wiring diagram. The layout I have set up is 15 leds side by side in about a 22inch piece of wood. Looks like series wiring would probably work best but the wiring will be completely hidden so if we need to something complex it will be ok.

otaypanky
June 26th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Post photos of what you have, the wood, the L.E.D.s, etc.
That would help

MichaelE
June 27th, 2010, 06:16 AM
You can go to nearly any auto parts store and buy an array of LED's on a flexible strip that uses 12VDC. Pre-wired (except for the PS), and has 3M adhesive tape for mounting.

Several colors to choose from including the cool blue you have now.

Kazz
June 27th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Right now it is just a wood strip with holes drilled every 1 1/2 inches and the holes are drilled at right angles so there is a method of feeding the wires. My thoughts after tinkering with this yesterday is to get some smaller gauge wire and some heat shrink tubing and solder on hot and ground wires to each led. Feed them up through the holes and then solder all of the hots together and all of the grounds together and then connect my power supply with at least one resister in the chain to prevent blow out.

MichaelE
June 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM
This is an array installed under the Kurzweil so I can see the Yamaha underneath. These are obviously yellow, but they come in several colors.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/Studio0011-1.jpg