PDA

View Full Version : Hagstrom Viking Deluxe V.R.S. Gibson ES335

Mystrom
June 28th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Just saw this on Youtube and thought some of you might get a kick out of this as well. I am pleasantly surprised with the out come. At least in my opinion. Who do you think was the winner?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxt6IfXoWUQ

Heywood Jablomie
June 28th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Goes to show that tone-wise, the amplifier is the bigger factor.

Monkus
June 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM
to my ear and the crappy laptop speakers, the Gibby is mellower on the neck pup, I guess whichever tone you prefer. The viking is easier on the wallet tho'.

MAXIFUNK
June 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I thought the Gibby sounded better.
2 Grand better not sure!

Also seem to me they had different strings too but that could just be me.
I would take either one.

But as far as hollow Bodies goes tops on my list right now are

1. Taylor T3
2. Gibson CS-336

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hmm, I thought the difference was subtle at best. It was the same amph, and is my amph so I recognized the sound. I guess because that first clip sounded just like my guitar through my amph clean, I liked it the best. I did not think the Gibby sounded that much different though. Also, I just cannot see me spending that much on a Gibby for such a subtle difference.

Eric
June 28th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Hmm, I thought the difference was subtle at best. I guess because that first clip sounded just like my guitar through my amph clean, I liked it the best. I did not think the Gibby sounded that much different though.
I agree. I was listening to it blind, but I did see that he started with the Viking. Seemed to be very similar. I think you'd really have to listen closely to pick up the differences.

ZMAN
June 28th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I am a little biased but the Gibby was the winner. The gibby just has that 335 tone. The hagstrom is close but lacks the rounded tone of the Gibson.
Also the tailpiece on the Hag might make a difference in it sounding a little "tinny" to my ears.
I have owned lots of 335 copies and they all sounded "pretty close" but you know what second is? The first loser. I spent 2000 on a Mint 335 and it is pure sweetness in ebony.

markb
June 28th, 2010, 02:08 PM
The Hagstrom has slightly hotter and harsher pickups. It's hard to tell much else with a combination of YouTube compression and teensy weensy laptop speakers.
Even given the limitations, an easy win for the Gibson. Replace the pickups in the Hagstrom though and it'll get closer. Not spot on as zman says.

Tone2TheBone
June 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM
The 335 was clearly warmer sounding. I preferred that tone over the Viking.

Eric
June 28th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Question: did the guy even go to the bridge pickup on the 335? I didn't see or hear him play anything other than neck and combined on the 335, but he did do bridge on the Viking.

I see some comments about the 335 being warmer and wonder if I'm missing something, because comparing neck to neck, I really struggle to hear a difference.

progrmr
June 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I thought the 335 sounded better but really they both sounded very good.

I don't think much is going to sound better than the 335...it is what it is for a reason.

Tig
June 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM
If I had lottery money, I'd go with the Gibby... A vintage one for that matter!

But back in reality, the Hag is the choice, but I'd be looking at a Ibanez Artcore Custom as well.

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/hollow/products/test/AS103VB.gif

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/hollow/products/test/AF125AMB.gif

hubberjub
June 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Question: did the guy even go to the bridge pickup on the 335? I didn't see or hear him play anything other than neck and combined on the 335, but he did do bridge on the Viking.

Excellent point Eric. This was not a very good review. If he wanted it to be a little more professional he would have played the same progression or licks on both guitars. Instead, he just kind of wanks away on the Viking and then slows down quite a bit on the Gibson. I don't think he played the bridge pickup on the 335 either. To my ears the Gibson did have a more complex sound. That's not even a high end 335. That's one of the satin finish models with no fingerboard binding.

Heywood Jablomie
June 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I think there should have been one more selection in the poll: I hear what I want to hear

hubberjub
June 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM
True dat.

Eric
June 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I think there should have been one more selection in the poll: I hear what I want to hear
Ha. That's the most truth in this thread yet.

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2010, 06:47 PM
HaHa! I like that one! I tried to answer kinda that way when I said the difference was subtle, but I picked the Hag through the C-30 because it was the sound I was used to. I voted Hag, but I probably should have voted no clear winner between the two clips. Though I dare say the Hagstrom wins the bang for the buck test as between the two, in my book anyway.

Here is a Gibby compared to a knock off Guild played by the same guy. I have always liked the Guild clip better, but there could be many, many reasons for that. I think the Guild pups may be a bit hotter or more saturated, or maybe the recording is. I really don't know. Certainly the quality of the recording of the Guild seems better.

But would I lose sleep over which guitar he was playing? Nah. Same with the above comparison. The extra couple/few thousand (or whatever it is) would not be worth it to me. Enjoy these below though. Nice semihollow numbers each.

-Lw5aA7XUFw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lw5aA7XUFw

cvy4oybNIxA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvy4oybNIxA

syo
June 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
:applause

Of course there are definite differences between those two guitars but "hearing what I want to hear" can be the most important factor of all.

There was a rather famous broadcast by the BBC in 1974 that assembled violin greats Isaac Stern, Pinchas Zuckerman and violin expert Charles Beare.
A professional violinist played behind a screen the violins belonging to the famous players (a Strad, a Guarneri del Gesù, and a Vuillaume) along with a modern (1 year old) violin from British maker Ronald Praill. None of the panelists could identify the Praill and they furthermore had limited success identifying their own instruments.

Of course there are important differences between instruments. The Hag and 335 do sound different. But I do think that sometimes our ears can be "fooled" by our heads. And as someone else has mentioned, badly compressed audio played through computer speakers is no real test at all.

otaypanky
June 28th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I think it's cool John was playing a Guild. But I definitely think the suit affected his tone. That and the fact that I think he was playing through a different amp.
I think the player has an awful lot to do with the final sound. Beside using different amps or guitars, your tone will be influenced by the cable, the pots and caps, your playing attack and personal style, type of pick or finger pickin', etc. Years ago there was a jam I attended for years. I have a number of guitars and amps and each week I'd bring something different. One night a guy came over to me and said "I don't get it. I have heard you play dozens of times, with all different amps and guitars, but you always have the same tone. Why is that?" I realized then how much 'your tone' is based on much more than your gear. Of course, we all have a particular tone in our head and we tend to tweak things to get that sound, whatever it may be.
And I'm a firm believer in the fact that you don't need expensive gear to get a great sound.
I had a few DeArmonds that were nice, fat ones and thinlines. An Epiphone re-issue of a Les Paul Signature I had for years was one of the sweetest guitars I have ever owned, very versatile. I have an original '73 Gibson in a goldtop finish too, so I eventually sold the Epi. I have a few other hollow bodies too and I love 'em. A '66 ES-335 I bought in '68 from my school friend for $200. I got a '66 Deluxe Reverb included in the $200 price. At least I still have the 335. And I have a Gibson Johnny A.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0003-8.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0227-2.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0001-28.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0010-2.jpg

riverrick
June 29th, 2010, 10:50 PM
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy235/pugdoyle/my%20guitars/TaylorT-3B.jpg

This is just a test to see if i can put photos on here. Yippee it worked.:thumbsup

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Yep, that looks great! BTW, I am excited for you. I am holding my Cherry Red Vik right now, working on Robert's IV chord lick, and it is very nice. So easy to learn and play on! I hope you will enjoy yours as well.

riverrick
June 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I'm sure I will....only a couple more days to wait. Was looking at some you tube demos sounds really good. Can't wait to get it my hands!!!

NWBasser
June 30th, 2010, 08:42 PM
My favorite would be the Gibson Alex Lifeson model. Expensive as all get out, but hey, it's Alex!

On to reality, I love the tone of both guitars. Unfortunately, a nice hollowbody would be wasted in my hands.:thwap

MAXIFUNK
June 30th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I think it's cool John was playing a Guild. But I definitely think the suit affected his tone. That and the fact that I think he was playing through a different amp.
I think the player has an awful lot to do with the final sound. Beside using different amps or guitars, your tone will be influenced by the cable, the pots and caps, your playing attack and personal style, type of pick or finger pickin', etc. Years ago there was a jam I attended for years. I have a number of guitars and amps and each week I'd bring something different. One night a guy came over to me and said "I don't get it. I have heard you play dozens of times, with all different amps and guitars, but you always have the same tone. Why is that?" I realized then how much 'your tone' is based on much more than your gear. Of course, we all have a particular tone in our head and we tend to tweak things to get that sound, whatever it may be.
And I'm a firm believer in the fact that you don't need expensive gear to get a great sound.
I had a few DeArmonds that were nice, fat ones and thinlines. An Epiphone re-issue of a Les Paul Signature I had for years was one of the sweetest guitars I have ever owned, very versatile. I have an original '73 Gibson in a goldtop finish too, so I eventually sold the Epi. I have a few other hollow bodies too and I love 'em. A '66 ES-335 I bought in '68 from my school friend for $200. I got a '66 Deluxe Reverb included in the $200 price. At least I still have the 335. And I have a Gibson Johnny A.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0003-8.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0227-2.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0001-28.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0010-2.jpg
MAN THATS SOME REALLY NICE GEAR!!!!!

MAXIFUNK
June 30th, 2010, 10:36 PM
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy235/pugdoyle/my%20guitars/TaylorT-3B.jpg

This is just a test to see if i can put photos on here. Yippee it worked.:thumbsup
GREAT AXE

Mystrom
July 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
Looking back over this thread. I have to say that it's pretty amazing that I was the only one that took the time to listen to the review with headphones.:poke

markb
July 1st, 2010, 07:53 PM
Looking back over this thread. I have to say that it's pretty amazing that I was the only one that took the time to listen to the review with headphones.:poke

This is not a rant, but...

Which doesn't do anything about the audio compression applied by YouTube or the fact the guy didn't even use the same pickup selections on both guitars. Not a useful comparison if you ask me. Anyway, in the real world we'd use the guitar and amp's tone controls to even out the differences.

I look at demos like this as the equivalent of pixel peeping camera reviews. Absolutely nothing to do with real world situations. If his point was to prove "don't spend extra on a Gibson" I think he failed.

Finally, these instruments are so far apart in price no one would be choosing between them if actually buying a guitar.

Mystrom
July 1st, 2010, 10:39 PM
This is not a rant, but...

Which doesn't do anything about the audio compression applied by YouTube or the fact the guy didn't even use the same pickup selections on both guitars. Not a useful comparison if you ask me. Anyway, in the real world we'd use the guitar and amp's tone controls to even out the differences.

I look at demos like this as the equivalent of pixel peeping camera reviews. Absolutely nothing to do with real world situations. If his point was to prove "don't spend extra on a Gibson" I think he failed.

Finally, these instruments are so far apart in price no one would be choosing between them if actually buying a guitar.
I wouldn't go that far. I was looking at both guitars when I bought the Hag. I'M a firm believer in buying what you like. Regardless of price. After playing both guitars. I found that the neck on the Viking was much easier to play on. And I really like the fact that the pick up switch is located on the upper horn. It also has it's own range of sounds. I also think that the Viking is just a better looking guitar. Subjective but true. As far as the sound between the two. It goes back to the hearing what you want. I will never make a profit on the Viking. Or even get what I payed for it. But that's not important to me. It's like somebody else pointed out. "You know it when you play it". The viking had the vibe. For "me" it was the better of the two. I still might own a ES335 in the future. If I find one with the vibe. I'm not trying to be defensive or argumentative. Just giving my opinion. So please take it for what it is.:dude

markb
July 1st, 2010, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't go that far. I was looking at both guitars when I bought the Hag. I'M a firm believer in buying what you like. Regardless of price. After playing both guitars. I found that the neck on the Viking was much easier to play on. And I really like the fact that the pick up switch is located on the upper horn. It also has it's own range of sounds. I also think that the Viking is just a better looking guitar. Subjective but true. As far as the sound between the two. It goes back to the hearing what you want. I will never make a profit on the Viking. Or even get what I payed for it. But that's not important to me. It's like somebody else pointed out. "You know it when you play it". The viking had the vibe. For "me" it was the better of the two. I still might own a ES335 in the future. If I find one with the vibe. I'm not trying to be defensive or argumentative. Just giving my opinion. So please take it for what it is.:dude

Hey, nor me Just saying what I think about online shootouts.

I'm glad you like your Hagstrom. I'm really happy with my Epiphone Dot and can't justify spending the money for the 10% or so a "real one" would give me. A thicker, warmer sound doesn't suit everyone. I've said elsewhere hear that shopping with your tastes in mind is preferable to going by brand or spec sheet or peer pressure.

FWIW I mostly play my mid 90s strat these days. Veneered body, factory pickups and die cast alloy trem block and all, most often played through a solid state amp using Boss effects. Most interweb sources would have you believe these components make for poor tone. I get no complaints (apart from Noise Control) ;)

Sadly the interweb appears expressly designed to feed our acquisitive side, greener grass and all that :)

Spudman
July 1st, 2010, 11:09 PM
It's like somebody else pointed out. "You know it when you play it". The viking had the vibe. For "me" it was the better of the two.
I like that. I feel that way about many of the guitars I've bought. I don't care so much about investment or such. What gets me is that I really like the guitar. That simple.

I'm glad you found a Viking to your liking. (the songwriter in me never dies):cool:

Mystrom
July 2nd, 2010, 03:48 AM
Hey, nor me Just saying what I think about online shootouts.

I'm glad you like your Hagstrom. I'm really happy with my Epiphone Dot and can't justify spending the money for the 10% or so a "real one" would give me. A thicker, warmer sound doesn't suit everyone. I've said elsewhere hear that shopping with your tastes in mind is preferable to going by brand or spec sheet or peer pressure.

FWIW I mostly play my mid 90s strat these days. Veneered body, factory pickups and die cast alloy trem block and all, most often played through a solid state amp using Boss effects. Most interweb sources would have you believe these components make for poor tone. I get no complaints (apart from Noise Control) ;)

Sadly the interweb appears expressly designed to feed our acquisitive side, greener grass and all that :)

Thanks for the kind response. I use to have a Dot myself. It was a really good guitar. I agree we are always suppose to be trading up to the next best thing.

Mystrom
July 2nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
[QUOTE=Spudman]I like that. I feel that way about many of the guitars I've bought. I don't care so much about investment or such. What gets me is that I really like the guitar. That simple.

I'm glad you found a Viking to your liking. (the songwriter in me never dies):cool:[/QUOTE

Jimi75
July 2nd, 2010, 05:49 AM
Finally found the time to watch the video. I think both guitars sound good in their own way and of course there is a similarity in sound due to the construction.

I like the ES335 sound better, but in the end this lays in the eye of the beholder, doesn't it? Also the sweet look of the ES335....oh man....that guitar looks great, I don't even miss the binding on that one.

On our recent gig the guitar player of the other band played a 68 ES335 plus a Fender Super Reverb and only one peda, which was an Xotic RC Booster. Believe me, that sound was so aesome, I almost pee... my trousers.

Eric
July 2nd, 2010, 06:07 AM
Man...this just proves to me that it's OK for me not to own any expensive guitars right now. I swear to you, my ears could not hear more than 0.5% difference in either of those guitars when you correct for pickup selection/order and playing style.

I always like to use the analogy of high-thread-count sheets: I've never ever been dissatisfied with the sheets on my bed, so why would I try high-thread-count sheets? Then I'd just know what I'm missing, you know?

Anyway, cheap gear, here I come!

Tig
July 2nd, 2010, 08:17 AM
I always like to use the analogy of high-thread-count sheets: I've never ever been dissatisfied with the sheets on my bed, so why would I try high-thread-count sheets? Then I'd just know what I'm missing, you know?

Eric, you are so lucky to not be suffering from BAS (bed acquisition syndrome) like so many sleepers. I can't tell you how many expensive silk and high thread count sheets, pillows, and mattresses I've been through in my quest for the perfect snooze! :poke

:D

Katastrophe
July 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
Eric, you are so lucky to not be suffering from BAS (bed acquisition syndrome) like so many sleepers. I can't tell you how many expensive silk and high thread count sheets, pillows, and mattresses I've been through in my quest for the perfect snooze! :poke

:D

You're on the right track, Tig, but I would mention that you should go for the vintage sheets first. Everyone knows that sheets made in '54 are better, because they've had longer to breathe and use old growth cotton.