June 28th, 2010, 09:35 AM
If you're even the slightest fan of Rush, you HAVE to see this
documentary. We recorded it off of Palladium over the weekend and were
totally engrossed by the film. My wife even loved it. She turned around
right after we watched it and made me go to the computer to order the
Blu Ray which comes out tomorrow.

Here's a trailer:

sk8hbSxY0sE

Here's the URL if the movie is not loading for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk8hbSxY0sE

Great stuff, great insight, lots of other musicians talking about how
Rush influenced them and some really amazing OLD footage from their
childhood and early careers.

http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/palladia/p1_images/rush.jpg

Tone2TheBone
June 28th, 2010, 09:48 AM
They're starting their tour tomorrow night here in town. I wish I could go but I already bought tickets for Theodore Nuge for Friday. :(

Rockermann
June 28th, 2010, 09:54 AM
They're starting their tour tomorrow night here in town. I wish I could go but I already bought tickets for Theodore Nuge for Friday. :(

They're here in town on Saturday at Summerfest. We saw them there about 3-4 years ago. We're considering going again. :)

marnold
June 28th, 2010, 10:55 AM
They're here in town on Saturday at Summerfest. We saw them there about 3-4 years ago. We're considering going again. :)
Are you a Milwaukeean? I live up nort', north of Green Bay.

Rockermann
June 28th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Are you a Milwaukeean? I live up nort', north of Green Bay.

Close... I'm just a little west of Milwaukee. I used to live up in Sheboygan, but that's not really north either. :)

Small world, eh?

FrankenFretter
June 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'll have to see that. I've been a Rush fan since I was a teenager (that was a long time ago). I've seen them live a couple of times, the last time being a couple years ago. I wonder what Geddy will have as his backline this tour? Last time I saw them, it was chicken rotisseries. They put on a great show every time!

Rockermann
June 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I'll have to see that. I've been a Rush fan since I was a teenager (that was a long time ago).

You won't be disappointed. I'm the same as you... fan since I was a teenager (around the 2112 release) and I loved it.

I've seen them live a couple of times, the last time being a couple years ago. I wonder what Geddy will have as his backline this tour? Last time I saw them, it was chicken rotisseries. They put on a great show every time!

Same here, I saw 'em with the washing machines and the rotisseries. I think he used vending machines prior to that. I've never heard the official answer, but I assume all of that is just a ongoing joke? Him trying to fill his side of the stage up like Alex does with his stacks?

Tig
June 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I'll have to see that. I've been a Rush fan since I was a teenager (that was a long time ago).

Ditto. I remember a kid playing 2112 in summer camp when it was new, and my musical world changed.

Saw the Permanent Waves tour, which was amazing. I've always felt that Alex is among the most under rated guitarists around. The licks he comes up with are beautiful.

M29
June 28th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I remember seeing Rush warming up for Theodore in Port Huron. Rush is awesome!

FrankenFretter
June 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Same here, I saw 'em with the washing machines and the rotisseries. I think he used vending machines prior to that. I've never heard the official answer, but I assume all of that is just a ongoing joke? Him trying to fill his side of the stage up like Alex does with his stacks?

Yeah, basically. He goes direct, obviously, but it would look sort of strange to have absolutely nothing back there. Just pray it's never mimes...

MichaelE
June 28th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I've been a RUSH fan since the mid '70's. Love 'em to death and been to quite a few shows. Unfortunately, none lately.

I have the utmost respect for all three of those guys as musicians and as people in general.

Tig
June 28th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Yeah, basically. He goes direct, obviously, but it would look sort of strange to have absolutely nothing back there. Just pray it's never mimes...

Saw an interview with Getty last year, and he said something like, well Alex has all those amps and cabinets, and I had nothing on my side, so I though the vending machine and washer would balance things out.

I love Rush, but sometimes wonder how they would have sounded with a different singer, yet kept Getty for the bass and song writing, etc.
Go ahead and hang me from the nearest tree! :spank

Tone2TheBone
July 1st, 2010, 11:06 AM
Didn't get to go the show but I snagged this from someone that did. It's pretty entertaining. I missed a hell of a show. :thwap

hUZa1iJ7jDM&feature=related

t_ross33
July 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM
I love Rush, but sometimes wonder how they would have sounded with a different singer, yet kept Getty for the bass and song writing, etc.

:what

:saw:

:punch:

:poke :)

Rockermann
July 1st, 2010, 12:13 PM
Didn't get to go the show but I snagged this from someone that did. It's pretty entertaining. I missed a hell of a show. :thwap

Oh, you're not kidding.. that's a great intro and set... I might still have to try and get tickets to the show here on Saturday. :)

Tone2TheBone
July 1st, 2010, 12:17 PM
Oh, you're not kidding.. that's a great intro and set... I might still have to try and get tickets to the show here on Saturday. :)

I'd go with ya if I could!

Tig
July 1st, 2010, 01:02 PM
:what

I know, I know... I've said the unspeakable! :spank
Seriously, I have a difficult time listening to Getty these days. He's lost what little voice he had to start with. Very out of tune and shrill.
(is now a good time to duck? :punch: :D )

t_ross33
July 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Seriously, I have a difficult time listening to Getty these days. He's lost what little voice he had to start with. Very out of tune and shrill.

I hear ya.... Getty is somewhat of an acquired taste to be sure. He can't quite wail as shrill as he did 20 yrs ago, but that happens... I'm just so glad that these guys are out there, still putting out new and relevant music after all these years and not relegating themselves to the Old Farts Nostalgia Circuit - and doing it with class, grace and style :rockya Bummed that they won't be playing anywhere nearby this time around...

Kazz
July 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM
I tivod that off Palladium this weekend too....it was great. Who would have thought that Neal Peart was such an introvert tho.....and so educated. I did learn something after watching "The Runaways" over the weekend......Rush gave the Runaways' a major hard time when they toured together.

NWBasser
July 1st, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hellz yeah, that movie looks cool!:dance

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm sure I'll be seeing it.:thumbsup

I credit Geddy Lee with inspiring me to pick up the bass and Rush has been my favorite band and main musical influence since the beginning of time. I think I've missed only one show in the last 20 years.

They're making their way up here in early August and I might have a lead on some good tickets. Last tour, I got to seem them twice and was seven rows back from Geddy on the later one. That was absolutely incredible!:dude

Neil has a great blog at www.neilpeart.net and is quite a captivating writer.

Tig
July 9th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Just finished watching it. This is by far one of the best band documentaries I've seen. :applause

The segment with Neil and Freddie Gruber is a must see for any drummer.

sunvalleylaw
July 9th, 2010, 10:46 PM

I hear what you are saying, though I cannot imagine RUSH without the voice. It is like Neil Young without his high vocals. But back in the day, Neil could get up there without relying as much on a thin falsetto sound. I guess age did the same thing to Geddy Lee. But I would not want to see them without him as the singer. It would be just wrong.

LeadedEL84
July 10th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Wow I haven't listened to Rush in years. Forgot how much I liked them. Thanks for posting that.
BTW- Anyone else notice that when Geddy was a young teenager with long hair he had a slight resemblence to Spicoli?

Kazz
July 10th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Wow I haven't listened to Rush in years. Forgot how much I liked them. Thanks for posting that.
BTW- Anyone else notice that when Geddy was a young teenager with long hair he had a slight resemblence to Spicoli?

I did notice that. Jeff Spicoli.....now I wonder if he had any experience with Mr. Han

Fingerhurting
July 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Boo:thumbsup
Got the dvd last week.wow so so good

R_of_G
July 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
It's one of the most thorough and interesting music documentaries I've seen in a while. The fact that the three members of the band contributed so much time to interview segments really gives the whole thing a compelling narrative and the music is great because it's Rush.:rockya

Tig
July 10th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Been listening to Snakes and Arrows the last few nights. I wish I didn't wait this long, because I'm pleasantly surprised how good it is. Well written songs played at the usual master level, but fresh.

Alex keeps getting better and employs some modern guitar tones that sizzle. He also plays some sweet acoustic passages.

How does Neil Peart keep getting better? Getty sounds great in the studio, so I need to take back some of my earlier criticisms.

:thumbsup

t_ross33
July 11th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Not many bands around as long as RUSH that aren't coasting on their greatest hits from back in "the day". While RUSH dips into their back catalog in their live shows, they are still making new, fresh and relevant music... maybe some of the best of their career. And showing no signs of slowing down. Maybe not recording and touring at the manic pace of their younger days, but everything is approached with a great sense of maturity and craftsmanship now.

I've loved this band for over 25 yrs, and they just get better and better :rockya

pes_laul
July 12th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Yeah I hear you. Ive never been much of a fan of his voice but with a band like that you can't complain. Though I will say he did quite good on the 2112 album

Fingerhurting
July 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Boo:rockya
My number one band got in to them in 79 and have never looked back:happy

guitardan777
July 21st, 2010, 10:05 AM
ROFL - That was great - gotta share that one around

Pickngrin
August 13th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Just watched the film tonight, and loved it! Even my wife, who (despite being Canadian) doesn't like Rush, enjoyed the film. Also nice to see how well those three guys have gotten along through the years. I so wish that I could have seen them during the 2112 era.

ZMAN
August 15th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Neil Peart is a local St. Catharines boy. My son used to hang out with his nephew, and Peart would drop by the house all the time. My son didn't even know who he was when he walked in. My son came home and asked me if I had heard a group called Rush! LOL.
We live about a 2 miles from the actual "Lakeside Park" they sang about in their song.
Nice to see a local boy do "good".