PDA

View Full Version : MultiFX unit instead of delay?

deeaa
June 28th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I have been hankering for a delay pedal for a while now, but I find I just can't seem to justify the costs just now. I've pondered selling my Flying-V, even had it on sale for a while, just to cover the costs of my recent acquisitions and maybe that delay.

Anyway to the point: why is it that any half decent delay pedal seems to cost something like 120-140 euros, and even used they tend to go for 90 or so, when a distortion or chorus pedal of the same manufacturer can go for like 30€?

This brings me to ponder - you can get a Zoom 2.u. or something for 45-50 easy used - so how about getting one of those and just use the delay. And it could also be used to add some verb too if I like. Or I could get a half-rack Boss FX unit for 50 too which would do anything basically...only those would be bad in a pedalboard. But those Zooms...they aren't any bigger than many a delay box is and work with regular 9v power.

I have the true bypass CarlMartin switchboard/looper so not being true bypass would not matter - I envision I'd only use the delay in leads which are rare for me anyway. Also I would never be using the switch anyway, as it'd be in a programmed loop so mechanical structure etc. aren't problems either.

So what do we think - does it make sense? Any good reasons to pay three times the money to get a delay only unit with limited settings, instead of a much cheaper multiFX unit for the same? I don't think a zoom would be any noisier or worse than any other (digital) delay box...but are analogs like MUCH better, I have no idea. I'd like just a short(ish) delay to beef up my lead tone almost like a thick verb, not really as an echo/delay effect per se.

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM
That is what I think the Line6 M9/13 is so good for, but they are a bit more. I don't know about the other multi units. I have not really heard a good one yet. I have been borrowing Spud's M9 though, and that thing is great!

deeaa
June 28th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I've had a multitude of multiFX pedals but yeah, never had one that would 'do it all' for me - in particular I never heard a drive that was very good in those digital boxes. BUT if used only for delay in a true bypass loop...that they might do quite well, maybe even better than a basic delay pedal.

M9 etc. aren't an option as they cost like as much as a decent car in relation to zoom etc. units...wouldn't get one just for some delay or such. And I really doubt I'd like the drives on it...although I do have to try. Hm. I should go pick one up for testing at the local shop.

Eric
June 29th, 2010, 04:27 AM
So what do we think - does it make sense? Any good reasons to pay three times the money to get a delay only unit with limited settings, instead of a much cheaper multiFX unit for the same? I don't think a zoom would be any noisier or worse than any other (digital) delay box...but are analogs like MUCH better, I have no idea. I'd like just a short(ish) delay to beef up my lead tone almost like a thick verb, not really as an echo/delay effect per se.
I had a Digitech RP100 MFX unit that seems like it would be OK for such a task. It's been mentioned in other threads, but the delay, reverb, etc. on it was pretty good, even if the amp modeling/drives were barftastic.

That being said, I'm not too picky on things like delay yet, so I'm probably not the most discriminating source. I traded it away recently because if I'm going to use FX, I prefer the Boss ME-50 I have, but a used one would be cheap and possibly not too bad. There are other cheap MFX units around that would probably be comparable, particularly if you're just looking for some slapback delay.

Katastrophe
June 29th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Don't count out cheapy pedals. Danelectro has the FAB delay for $29 USD list, or the PB&J delay for $69 USD list.

Since it will be attached to the Octaswitch and not stomped on too much, durability shouldn't be a problem... And, it kinda fits in with the DEEconstructor guitar, too!

Plus, they're cheap. Really cheap.

marnold
June 29th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I debated the same thing for a long time. Then I came across that Boss DD-6 used for $72 and the rest is history. I've got a Zoom 505II pedal that I tried using that way. The problem is that it was so inflexible. You had very little control over the levels, delay times, etc. One of the low-end Digitech RP series might work well though. I'm not sure how they are for "tone suck" though.

hubberjub
June 29th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Drop a couple of bucks on a decent delay. It will be worth it. I also wouldn't worry about true bypass either. Some really high end (Cornish) pedal builders will not make true bypass pedals. I actually don't like true bypass delays because I prefer a pedal that allows my delay to trail off instead of just abruptly cut off when I bypass the pedal.

Monkus
June 29th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I use the M9 and its more than adequate, I use the delay for just what you're thinking, beefing up the tone. I do have a Line 6 echo park that I cant seem to get rid of, which I had before the M9. Great pedal! I've had offers but I haven't wanted to sell it. OTOH, I just bought a Digitech Rp155 for one of the kids in my church group and the delays and reverbs sound great. The other effects sound good too.I was surprised how far Digitech Multi fx units have come. The Rp155 retailed for $99.

MAXIFUNK
June 29th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I have the Boss ME-25 and love it. I am no pedal expert or anything close to it.
But this pedal doe sit all very well and even the newbie can program it and recall settings with ease.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME25-Guitar-MultiEffects-Pedal?sku=423444