PDA

View Full Version : Find proper pots in good electronic shop?

poodlesrule
June 29th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I need to create a couple of new wiring harnesses for a Strat project, to try different pickup configurations.

I have a good electronic shop near me and I could source proper pots there, I assume.

What to really look for in pots for guitars, in general?
I am only aware of the "audio tap", as opposed to the regular, linear type.
I do not need high quality stuff either, the project is more of a learning bit than anything, as the base guitar is rough.

I would like to play with HSH, 1 vol. 1 tone setups but also HH. how to pick the proper value pots then?

markb
June 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
The trouble is that you won't necessarily find splined pots in an electronics supplier. They tend to sell pots with long plain shafts. We guitarists have special needs compared to the majority of electronic hobbyists, you know ;)

otaypanky
June 30th, 2010, 12:23 AM
RS Guitarworks

gregsguitars
July 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Try Steward Macdonald , luthers supplies ..pots galore.

deeaa
July 3rd, 2010, 05:31 AM
Man, I can't find any 25K pots that are good over here. The tiny ones that come with EMG's aren't the best...but what I've managed to find in full size have failed even more miserably. Right now only one of my guitars has a pot that won't always open all the way unless I move it back and forth...I wish I could get GOOD proper 25K pots somewhere.

poodlesrule
July 4th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Man, I can't find any 25K pots that are good over here. The tiny ones that come with EMG's aren't the best...but what I've managed to find in full size have failed even more miserably. Right now only one of my guitars has a pot that won't always open all the way unless I move it back and forth...I wish I could get GOOD proper 25K pots somewhere.

Would it help if a limited number of small US parts could be mailed to you from someone traveling into Europe (like me, next month)?

deeaa
July 4th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Would it help if a limited number of small US parts could be mailed to you from someone traveling into Europe (like me, next month)?

That is a very kind offer, thank you VERY much...but I really really don't want to inconvenience you with such chores on your trip. It's one of those small annoyances only...in the fall I'm going to London anyway for a visit, and they probably have some nice big music stores there with proper selection. But, dude, seriously thanks a lot for the offer, it really gave me a good feeling! Still, don't worry about it, I'll get it sorted sooner or later :thumbsup

It's funny though, how they sell all kinds of 250 and 500k pots here from CTS or many other make, and cheap too, just a few bucks apiece, but in 25K they have like two options even on webstores and they are both proven less than top notch and still cost like 8-10 bucks. Oh well, I can solder pretty well and replace them when they go bad, but still, it's annoying when you can't get proper ones easily when you want them. One of the bad sides to living on the fringes of the earth, so to speak :-)