PDA

View Full Version : Norman Guitars are great

Robert
June 29th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Just played a couple of Norman Guitars. Wow, they are very, very nice.

http://www.normanguitars.com/models.html

I played a $400 one that sounded better than the $1,000 Martin sitting next to it. :rockya

Heywood Jablomie
June 29th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Yet another testament to Godin acoustics. I've played and owned Seagulls and A & Ls, but haven't played a Norman, although I think they're all basically the same thing. I won't get into comparing them with much higher priced guitars, but I will say that at a given price point, they beat the hell out of most everything out there. For example, I challenge anyone to show me a $250 guitar that can even approach the A & L.

Eric
June 29th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Cool. I think Godin makes quality stuff, and they seem to put priorities on the important stuff like making it sound good and play well. Sometimes that's at the expense of features and looks, which I think makes them a little bit of a cult favorite, but I guess that means better prices!

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godin_%28Guitar_Manufacturer%29) seems to rank all of the daughter companies in terms of their quality level, and Simon & Patrick is supposedly the high-end acoustic one. Has anyone played guitars from all of the companies (Norman, Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick) who can weigh in on whether there is any difference?

markb
June 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I think they're very similar in quality and performance at their price points, Eric. The S&P guitars are meant to be less of a "signature" look for those who want something a bit more Martin-y. I have no idea why Norman, Seagull and A&L are separate brands when they share that laminated cherry construction. They could call them all Godin with the A&Ls as the entry level (I hate that expression) instruments and the Seagulls and Normans offering a choice of features higher up the range.

But hey, it's their company and they seem to be doing alright.

Eric
June 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I have no idea why Norman, Seagull and A&L are separate brands when they share that laminated cherry construction.
Totally off-topic (surprise!), but I read or heard somewhere that when manufacturers talk of solid back & sides, it's actually only the back, because the sides need the structural integrity provided by laminate. Is that true, or are higher-end solid-construction acoustics made with one slab for the sides too?

That question is not limited to the Godin axes, obviously, but asking about acoustics in general.

markb
June 29th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Totally off-topic (surprise!), but I read or heard somewhere that when manufacturers talk of solid back & sides, it's actually only the back, because the sides need the structural integrity provided by laminate. Is that true, or are higher-end solid-construction acoustics made with one slab for the sides too?

That question is not limited to the Godin axes, obviously, but asking about acoustics in general.

The sides of both my Gibson and Larrivee better be solid wood or I'll want to know why not. There is a bit of marketing talk (read: lying) employed by some manufacturers over how much of their guitars are solid wood. Martin has made some of their cheaper guitars with a solid back and laminated sides. I think Taylor has too. This may be where this idea comes from.

As ever, shop with your ears (not eyes, spec sheet, HC ratings etc) and you can't go wrong :AOK

sumitomo
June 30th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I just got a Larrivee all Mahogany,and I have never really owned a nice acoustic before,this baby is awesome it will take some time for me to get the nevere to BANG away on her but I will.I am very impressed with this guitar,so another thumbs up to the guitar makers in Canada! Sumi:D OH I paid 650.00 with and awesome HSC,I also can't say enough about this case also,it is a custom made one to the guitar,I guess there custom made to fit all different models.

guitarmadman85
June 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Hell Yeah! I own a Norman acoustic and it sounds great! I had a fishman matrix pickup put in it. It is my go to acoustic. I love how the low notes come out, and the intonation is great! A very well spent $400 bucks!:dude

markb
June 30th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I just got a Larrivee all Mahogany,and I have never really owned a nice acoustic before,this baby is awesome it will take some time for me to get the nevere to BANG away on her but I will.I am very impressed with this guitar,so another thumbs up to the guitar makers in Canada! Sumi:D OH I paid 650.00 with and awesome HSC,I also can't say enough about this case also,it is a custom made one to the guitar,I guess there custom made to fit all different models.

The internal construction on my first series Larrivee parlour guitar almost brought a vintage Gibson and modern Martin owning friend to tears. That Larrivee cost £400 brand spanking (US$600 at the time). An impeccably assembled guitar. No glue drips, no gaps in the kerfing, nothing! Why so cheap for a handmade guitar? Slight grain irregularities in the timber (amber stripes in the ebony for instance). So well put together that it actually took me months to spot that the fingerboard is bound. Ebony bound with ebony :AOK

Which body style did you get, Sumi?

Tig
June 30th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I am very impressed with this guitar,so another thumbs up to the guitar makers in Canada!

+1
Canadian luthers are quite impressive. :greenguitar:

Oh, Canada! :canada:

sumitomo
June 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I got an all Mahogany L-03 model,I was looking at a Martin d-15 and was reading some reviews and a lot of good was said of the Larrivee so gave it a shot,I work on cars so when I get home I scrub my hands 3 times before I even touch it(that will change) its so perrty and got that new guitar smell!LOL! Sumi:D

Robert
June 30th, 2010, 02:04 PM
+1
Canadian luthers are quite impressive. :greenguitar:

Oh, Canada! :canada:

3 Bonus Points to Tig for that.... ;) :thumbsup

otaypanky
June 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Lest we not forget some of their other fine achievements

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/images.jpghttp://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/RobWithStrat150w2.jpg

Robert
June 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Labatt? No man, sorry but that won't do. We need this!

http://www.st-eric.com/stambroiseoatmealstout.jpg

By the way, who's that shady figure with a white strat? Must be some no-good import! :D

otaypanky
June 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't know for sure until you send me some :canada: