PDA

View Full Version : New Hag

riverrick
June 29th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Pulled the trigger on a Hag Viking. Should arrive in a couple of days.:dance Man the wife is gonna kill me....hehe. Got the cherry red one. If I really like this one might look at the swede next.:spank I got the GAS bad!!! Also my new strap from Brookwood should get here soon. It's like Xmas in July....well almost July. Got a question to any of you Hag owners out there. Since the fretboard is some kind of composite. Can I still use steel wool and a fret dressing when needed???

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2010, 12:58 PM
You got the same as I did. I bet you love it! Congrats!

I bet yours will look something about like the pics here:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9125

Re: your fretboard, I have never felt the need to dress or oil or condition the fretboard at all. I do not think I would use steel wool on it, and would likely just clean it a little if it needed it. Probably just a little drop of water on a soft cloth. I am not sure what Hagstrom suggests. After owning it since fall of '08 and playing it pretty regularly, I have not seen any need for any care so far.

riverrick
June 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info sunvalley. Maybe robert can give some advice on the fretboard maintenence. Nice review also. These Hags seem like a really quality guitar. Can't believe the prices!!! I guess Fender, Gibson, etal are just grossly overpriced.

Robert
June 29th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hi riverick, I take it you saw my video review then?

It's a great guitar. The fretboard, well I haven't polished my frets. The fretboard doesn't seem fragile to me. I think you won't have any problems.

progrmr
June 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
:worthless

Heywood Jablomie
June 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
These Hags seem like a really quality guitar. Can't believe the prices!!! I guess Fender, Gibson, etal are just grossly overpriced.
Maybe that isn't exactly apples-to-apples, comparing a Hagstrom (Asian) price to a Gibson (USA) price. A more apt comparison might be comparing them to, say, Epiphone or Gretsch Electromatic.

BUT......

I think Gibsons and Fenders are grossly overpriced, and are only able to continue so because there are enough people willing to part with the extra dough for the "prestige" of owning one.

It's kinda strange, because of the luxury car brands that are manufactured in the US (BMW, Mercedes) that are no more or less desireable or expensive because of that fact.

And snobs are snobs - I'm sure there are Acura owners who look down their noses at Honda owners.

riverrick
June 29th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Will post some pics when it comes. If someone could tell me how to put the photos in a post box like this.

riverrick
June 29th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Hi riverick, I take it you saw my video review then?

It's a great guitar. The fretboard, well I haven't polished my frets. The fretboard doesn't seem fragile to me. I think you won't have any problems.

Yes saw the video.....looks like a killer axe!!! So then on the fretboard, it will be OK to use some #0000 steel wool and some fretboard dressing. I usually do this once a year on my ebony and rosewood fretboards.

Heywood Jablomie
June 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Yes saw the video.....looks like a killer axe!!! So then on the fretboard, it will be OK to use some #0000 steel wool and some fretboard dressing. I usually do this once a year on my ebony and rosewood fretboards.
Although I'm not familiar with the composite that the Hagstrom fingerboard is made from, I am familiar with such wood composites. They're generally impervious to liquids, unlike real wood. My best guess would be that it's not necessary or a good idea to treat the fingerboard at all, with anything.

If I was you, I'd shoot an email to Hagstrom.

M29
June 29th, 2010, 04:22 PM
:poke

Spudman
June 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM
You wont need to do anything to the fretboard. It won't even soak up anything anyway. If you feel like the frets need polishing then get some blue masking tape and put it between the frets on the fretboard and then polish the frets. That way you won't scratch the fretboard. It's a composite so it doesn't really need maintenance. Maybe some soap and water if it gets real grungy just to clean it.

By the way :worthless

riverrick
June 29th, 2010, 06:05 PM
OK....thanks for that Spudman. So how can I put some pics on here when I get the guitar???

markb
June 29th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Either upload the pics as attachments or send them to a hosting site like flickr and link to them there using the picture link button (yellow icon with mountains in reply box). You may need to resize your pictures to get them under the attachment limitations.

Tig
June 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Sad... Yet another victim of terminal GAS! :cry:

http://carlsagansdanceparty.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/oh-huge-manatee_500x500.jpg

otaypanky
June 30th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Sad... Yet another victim of terminal GAS! :cry:

http://carlsagansdanceparty.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/oh-huge-manatee_500x500.jpg

And Another !!!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/fart.jpg

otaypanky
June 30th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Judging by the photos of Steve's guitar, you should be a happy camper :bravo:

riverrick
June 30th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Very happy camper for sure Bob:happy Very funny photo....thats definitly me....lol

riverrick
July 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Well have had my Viking for close to a week now. and I have no complaints, in fact I seem to play it more that any of my other guitars. But I have sent them an email twice now and no response what so ever. Any you Hag owers out there ever have any similar problems??

Spudman
July 7th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Well have had my Viking for close to a week now. and I have no complaints, in fact I seem to play it more that any of my other guitars. But I have sent them an email twice now and no response what so ever. Any you Hag owers out there ever have any similar problems??

What problems? With the guitar or getting an answer to your emails?

riverrick
July 7th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Getting an answer to my emails.

Robert
July 7th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I emailed them twice, letting them know about the video demos I made. Never heard back, but the videos made it onto their websites. Check here for example http://www.hagstrom-guitars.co.uk and http://www.hagstromguitars.no - on that little TV screen on the right, yours truly appears after a while. :)

riverrick
July 7th, 2010, 04:24 PM
You got lucky Robert. Wonder why they don't respond to email from owners???:mad

sunvalleylaw
July 7th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Do you mean emails to Hagstrom? I never had a reason to email them. I received email back from my seller when I sent some during the transaction period. But never Hagstrom itself.

riverrick
July 7th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Yes to Hagstrom....I sent the 3rd one today. You'd think they would respond, but not yet.