PDA

View Full Version : Social D and Mike Ness -- NOT hard

Eric
June 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM
You know, I was never really under the impression that Social Distortion had really difficult lead parts in their songs, but one of my favorite songs has been "Ball and Chain" anyway. It's a wonderfully depressing song.

I took a stab at the lead back when I played acoustic exclusively and didn't do anything other than chords, and I gave up quickly. I just went back and tried it and OMIGOSH are those leads and solos simple. Still kind of fun and catchy, but I was surprised by how easy they were to play.

It's always kind of an ego boost when you A) go back to something you couldn't play before and find that you can now, and B) learn a song that you like a lot.

Just sayin'. There's some good ego fodder in there. Mike Ness is good like that.

Here's the video for anyone unfamiliar with the song:

_NWjehpGSO0

FrankenFretter
June 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Great band and great song. Also one of my Social D faves. Thanks, Eric!

Katastrophe
June 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I dig 'em.

Good music doesn't always have to be the most technical. It just has to sound good!

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I like that song too, and Social D in general. I cranked that Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell album for years.. Another favorite for me is this one:

GLpiai9est8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLpiai9est8

As a lot know (and R_of_G has noticed) I particularly like that vintagey punk stuff. I don't care if a solo is technically difficult if it is played with emotion and says something. Seems like a lot of punk solos are basically the melody line of the song or a variation thereof. So as long as I like the melody, I am in.

I was just thinking that I want be be like Rivers Cuomo a lot. I like his tone, I like how he expresses with his guitar and uses feedback, etc. to wail. I think I might need a guitar just to keep tuned a half step down just so I can pick it up and wail on it Weezer style without having to re-tune all the time. One of these days a cheap fat strat will show up for that purpose.

ZCOTW5AD9a8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOTW5AD9a8]