PDA

View Full Version : Affinity Strat Not as Loud as My Dot

Heywood Jablomie
June 30th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I got my first Strat recently and noticed that it is somewhat less loud than my Dot, which has GFS Mean 90s. It's not dramatic, but clearly noticeable. Is this typical?

duhvoodooman
June 30th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah it is typical, particularly if the Strat has vintage-style pickups that are in the 5 - 6 Kohm range. I suspect the GFS Mean 90's are wound quite a bit hotter than the single coils in your Strat.

BTW, what kind of Strat did you get?

Heywood Jablomie
June 30th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah it is typical, particularly if the Strat has vintage-style pickups that are in the 5 - 6 Kohm range. I suspect the GFS Mean 90's are wound quite a bit hotter than the single coils in your Strat.
I figured that the difference was in the "hotness" of the pickups, and since the guitar sounds fine, I didn't think I did anything wrong with the rewiring job. Just wanted confirmation from somebody familiar with both types of pickups.

BTW, what kind of Strat did you get?

I figured that the difference was in the "hotness" of the pickups, and since the guitar sounds fine, I didn't think I did anything wrong with the rewiring job.

Squier Affinity - got it used for 80 bucks with a Crate 15-watt amp. The pots and switch were TOTALLY shot, but the rest was in OK shape. Replaced the worn-out stuff with inexpensive parts, works perfectly. Sold the Crate for 30 bucks. Net cost about 70 bucks. My first Strat/Fender type guitar, and I really like it.

markb
June 30th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Funny, me too! My strat's pickups measure out at 5.5 - 5.8Kohms from neck to bridge. My Dot had SD 59s in it at ~8K. Humbuckers will nearly always have more bottom and middle too.
Plug them into the Laney Cub 12 on the same settings and the strat gives warm clean to crunch on the volume knob. The Dot goes from crunch to classic rock leads.

FrankenFretter
June 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Did you find that on Craig's List, Heywood? I seem to remember seeing one not that long ago, but I can't remember if it was Salem or Corvallis. By the way, I have a white pearloid pickguard and a couple sets of pickups. If you want them, they're yours. I don't really have any use for them at the moment, and they're just taking up space.

Heywood Jablomie
June 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Did you find that on Craig's List, Heywood? I seem to remember seeing one not that long ago, but I can't remember if it was Salem or Corvallis. By the way, I have a white pearloid pickguard and a couple sets of pickups. If you want them, they're yours. I don't really have any use for them at the moment, and they're just taking up space.
The one I got was from a kid in Stayton, the listing was in the Salem Craigslist.

The pickguard would be excellent! Thanks! I was already thinking about replacing the plain jane single-ply white guard. What kind of pickups - something better than stock? Send me a PM and I'll arrange to take a drive up, maybe bring a guitar, too.