PDA

View Full Version : A song for my daughter's wedding

djmcconnell
June 30th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hey all,

I thought I'd share a song that I wrote and performed for my daughter's wedding (which just happened on June 18). It was a great day!

The version that I posted to the link below is the demo version that I recorded using a simple Garageband set up (M-Audio Mobile-Pre USB, Shure SM58, and my acoustic plugged right in to the interface).

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9341784

I appreciate your feedback -- constructive or otherwise!

Dave

Tig
June 30th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Very sweet song, and perfect for the occasion.
The acoustic guitar track sounds really nice and balanced.

Eric
June 30th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Sounds very nice. I wish my dad did stuff like that; it's really nice that you do. Nice chord voicings in the beginning too.

Are you looking for feedback or did you just want to share?

djmcconnell
June 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the comments. I welcome feedback of all kinds. I'm very new at songwriting, so appreciate the chance to learn from others (or just hear what people like or don't like).

Dave

Eric
June 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Well, for me I thought the song was good.

I was thinking more in terms of the guitar -- I think maybe if you mic'd it, you would get a fuller, less piezo-y tone out of it. Seems like it might not be doing your guitar justice if it's plugged in.

Also, you have a nice strong voice, so maybe letting it ring out a bit more would work well with the song. Not sure if that makes any sense. Hopefully it does.

I'm no recording or songwriting expert or anything -- just my initial impressions. Hopefully they're constructive. It's a nice tune.

djmcconnell
July 2nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Eric.

I'm glad you liked the song -- it sure has been fun to start songwriting. I feel like I'm sort of in the "fingerpainting" stage, but I am loving it.

I'll try micing up the acoustic next time. Perhaps the SM57 or 58 (or both) would give a better result, at least until I get a condenser mic.