PDA

View Full Version : 'bucker tilt

tot_Ou_tard
October 12th, 2006, 03:54 PM
While fiddling with the pups on my HSS Godin SD, I noticed that I could make the humbucker at the bridge tilt so that the coil closest to the bridge was near the strings and the other was down against the body. I haven't had enough time to understand what effect this has on the tone. Has anyone else done this?

Spudman
October 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I've got several bucker guitars that do this. I notice a minor change in the sound. It could be enough to bug some people (like me) so I just turn way up and don't really pay attention to it.:)

The only thing I've thought to do but haven't done yet is to wedge something in there to keep the pickup straight. I'm not sure what an official fix might be. All the screws are straight so it could be a cable tension thing. If the wires going to the pots from the pickup are doing it then maybe there is a way to move some of that wire into a different position so that it doesn't affect the pup angle.

tot_Ou_tard
October 12th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I can easily tllt the pup back. It appears that one set of screws moves the buckers up & down & the other set tilts it. I was wondering whether there were any sonic advantages to a twilt O whirl of a bucker.

Spudman
October 12th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Oh. I have some of those too. Sorry if I misunderstood.

It's kind of like do you want more twang or a little smoother sound. It just changes which area of the string gets picked up more. I usually run flat on those guitars (parallel with the strings). That way I have 2 coils picking up as much as possible.

tot_Ou_tard
October 12th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Oh. I have some of those too. Sorry if I misunderstood.

It's kind of like do you want more twang or a little smoother sound. It just changes which area of the string gets picked up more. I usually run flat on those guitars (parallel with the strings). That way I have 2 coils picking up as much as possible.
That's what I thought. I thought the tilt might give a little more single coil type of sound.