PDA

View Full Version : Pushing boundaries

kidsmoke
July 2nd, 2010, 06:24 AM
So, today will be a pretty momentous one in my journey as an amateur/hobbyist/wannabe. Arguably THE biggest.

I'll be playing on stage at the Taste of Chicago, which for those who don't know, is Chicago's biggest party every year. Its 8 days of outdoor food and music in Grant Park, the huge water front park with Buckingham fountain, right there in downtown. The get over 8 million visitors over the week. Culminates on the 4th with fireworks.

There are 3 stages going over the course of the week. One for the bigwigs and the other two doing small scale stuff. But still, the crowds are immense, and as you all know from attending things like this, usually, if they rock, folks gather, and if they don't it's easy to mosy on your way.

Regardless, I'll be up there with my Idol, plugged into a vintage Fender Twin, with a pro sound dude, doing a one hour set with my friends from school, in a massive crowd. Pretty frickin' cool, no matter how you slice it.

here's the set (we're called "That 70's ensemble" spoof on the TV show title, we were the Woodstock ensemble for last years 40th anniversary, and simply turned the page into the next decade)

Take me in your arms (Doobie Bros)
Listen to the Music (same)
Brandy (Looking Glass - I sing lead)
We're An American Band (Grand Funk)
In the Street (Big Star)
Free Ride (Edgar Winter)
All Right Now (Free - I sing Lead, and I play Lead)
Rocket Man (Elton)
Radar Love (Golden Earring)
Thunder Island (Jay Ferguson)
Night Moves (Bob Seger - sing lead)

I know you guys are a supportive bunch, and we all mess around with our guitars and experience various levels of living our dreams. Thought it was worth sharing so you can send your thoughts, and I knew you'd appreciate how nuts I'm going right about now.

I'll report back for sure.

bigoldron
July 2nd, 2010, 06:50 AM
You're right, Tio. It is pretty frickin' cool. We're all pulling for you and hope it goes well. Good song choices BTW.

Hopefully, somebody will video you guys so you can post it for us. Pics of you if nothing else.

Good luck and keep on rockin'!!! :dude :rar :beavisnbutthead: :dance

sunvalleylaw
July 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
Wow, that is great! I have played at local arts fairs and whatever, but not Chi-Town with tons of folks like that. And you are singing and playing lead as well some of the time too. Way to go for it! I am sure it will be fun!

Tone2TheBone
July 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
That sounds like a great time. Knock their socks off.

Katastrophe
July 2nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
Congrats, Tio! Kick some serious booty, man.

kidsmoke
July 2nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
yep, check the set list in my OP. I sing lead on Three, and sing lead AND play lead on one (All Right Now)

Already got butterflies...

Eric
July 2nd, 2010, 08:59 AM
Nice -- I wish I was that good. Remember to have some fun!

Robert
July 2nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Awesome! Congrats and have fun!

kidsmoke
July 2nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
where did I say I was good. I'm willing! All Right Now is a pretty good one for this, the lead isn't fast or complex, but it's meaty and emotional. I've got a few little riffs here and there in other songs, and I'm the main rhythm guy throughout.

Just gotta remember to have FUN, and not think to much! :dance

Monkus
July 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Awesome, butterflies are a good thing !!!! Congrats, make sure to take lotsa pics and a sound byte or two...

kidsmoke
July 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Awright, folks. It was a blast! As a guitarist the coolest part was playing outdoors on a huge stage through a serious amp, and having that broadcast through towers of speakers. I played through a Fender Twin Reverb, 100 Watt. Dang, I was wearing shorts and could feel the hair on my legs moving. low E singles made the floor vibrate. That was new, and amazing.

A couple of you guys are FB friends, I've got some shots there that I'll dump in photobucket tomorrow and share here.

Who can tell me a reliable method of converting Quicktime movies to AVI format movies? I've got a few moments...literally, that I can post, but they're quicktime and youtube doesn't take them Anyone experienced with this?

Eric
July 3rd, 2010, 08:53 PM
Excellent -- glad to hear it went well!

I don't know anything about video conversion, sorry.

MAXIFUNK
July 3rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
i HAVE BEEN TO THE TASTE 3 OR 4 TIMES THE BEST SUMMER PARTY IN THE USA!!!!!

CONGRATS DRINK AN OLD STYLE FOR ME AND OH EAT A TURKEY LEG TOO
OH YEAH ALMOST FORGOT ROCK THAT CROWD TOOOOOOO..........!!!!!!!!!:applause :dude

bigoldron
July 4th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Who can tell me a reliable method of converting Quicktime movies to AVI format movies? I've got a few moments...literally, that I can post, but they're quicktime and youtube doesn't take them Anyone experienced with this?

Glad to hear it went so good! It IS a great feeling being on stage! You asked for a converter, so check this one out: http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html?tag=mncol

It's called "Any Video Converter" and it's free. I've used it for a while with pretty good success. Good luck with it! Let us know when your videos are posted.

Robert
July 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Great to hear the gig went well! Rock on, brother! :dude

duhvoodooman
July 4th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Very cool--congrats!! :thumbsup :applause

When does the DVD come out? ;)

kidsmoke
July 5th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Just gonna throw one up there so you know I wasn't lying to you.
Haven't been indoors enough to try the video conversion (which is a very good thing - and thanks for the suggestions btw)

What an awesome experience.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/Taste%20of%20Chicago/P1110347.jpg

kidsmoke
July 7th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Glad to hear it went so good! It IS a great feeling being on stage! You asked for a converter, so check this one out: http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html?tag=mncol

Ron, this works great. I've messed with this for a while with no success. Thanks a TON

ok here goes. As it turns out, my daughter, cut out of video to take stills, so the clip ends as the solo riffs start. Gonna have to work on that with her!! But there it is, me, playing guitar live in public for peoples enjoyment!

y56BWZeCY6k