PDA

View Full Version : Which guitars fit this description?

Eric
July 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM
I've been trying to hone my guitar tastes for awhile, and here's what I have in terms of opinions I've formed. Can you help me figure out what this actually means for application to guitars?

24.75" scale length
Rosewood fretboard (or ebony, but prefer rosewood)
Weight <8 pounds
Good upper-fret access (possibly 24 frets, low neck heel, double cutaway, etc. -- not all of them, just with the idea of decent access to upper frets)
Flat-ish radius (>12" at least?)
Warm tone, smooth overdrive and good low-end growl when distorted -- warm, fat, and thick, not spanky or airy
Probably no tremolo/vibrato arm
Price <$1000

Of all of the guitars I've owned, I like the LP copy best, with some minor gripes:

After playing for 2-3 hours standing up, my back fricking hurts.
The neck heel makes it hard for me to get much beyond the 15th fret with ease.
Sometimes my fingers kind of jerk when bending on one of the inlays, like they're skidding or something.

That's pretty much it. Not that I want any more guitars, but when my eye inevitably does wander to other models, do any of you have any suggestions? Here are some more thoughts (non-spec-type thoughts) to show you where my mind is these days.

I like the simplistic controls of something like a Tele, but I also like fiddling with knobs. I've been using my LP tone controls a lot lately, and I regularly switch between pickups.
So far, I've really enjoyed humbuckers, given that they're the right level and everything, but I'm very curious about P90s. I need to do an A/B sometime on P90s vs. humbuckers.
I have a mini-crush on the Godin LG, but I know very little about it other than the specs.
My usual test of a guitar's sound is if it sounds full and otherwise nice on a clean amp setting with fully voiced chords. That may be simplistic, but if it can't even pass that test, I usually worry a bit.

I figure giving this out to a forum full of experienced guitar players is better than me trying to play every guitar in existence, so I want to see what suggestions pop up.

All input is appreciated. Thanks!

Katastrophe
July 2nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
I've played a Godin LG, and like it. It would satisfy your requirements.

I would also look at the PRS SE Singlecut. Great guitar for the price, and would meet all the requirements.

You could scan ebay for a used Carvin. They would meet all your requirements, including the 24 frets, and play absolutely fantastic. Most models are neck through, so no heel at all to get in your way. It's the one guitar brand I would not hesitate to buy without playing first.

2nd EDIT: Here's a new Carvin that hits all your requirements.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/single.php?Serial=94805

otaypanky
July 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
Yup, PRS is cool. Years back I got an SE double cut from a mom and pop shop that just wanted to blow it out, something like $260. What a nice guitar, P-90's too. A few years later I got a McCarty Soapbar used for under $1200. That was really sweet. To me, PRS guitars just have a feeling of precision about them, hard to explain. Nice tone too ~
You'll find something you love

marnold
July 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Epiphone SG?

markb
July 2nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Sounds like an SG. Try the Faded Special and save half your budget. Try a few to find one that balances right. I played an Epiphone last night that was a real ankle biter and reminded me why I sold mine.

The PRS SEs I've handled have all been nice guitars but you might score a used CE 22 or 24 for that price. For my money, the joy of a PRS is in the 5 way switching which you don't get with the Korean models.

deeaa
July 3rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
What you just described, my friend, is my Davette:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/Charv/27.jpg

(later I ditched them locks, though)

I built the axe exactly to those specs; loved and played an LP 13 years but it's just too friggin' heavy. So I jotted down exactly what I wanted in a guitar, found a donor (an old Charvette with a laser-straight neck and good woods) and built me one. Because nobody builds guitars like that.

But really: super simple controls. Gibson scale (almost, slightly longer), gibson bride, tilt-neck, EMG85 gives power and warmth aplenty especially when mixed with the SA on neck...the only thing that could be better with my Davette is the neck is slightly too thin for comfortable playing for hours, especially live. That's why it doesn't get as much action as it would deserve, mostly studio work. And also because I want to keep this guitar in GREAT shape and safe, as it really turned out such a great guitar that everybody always wants to play when I bring it around.

t_ross33
July 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Light and comfy... super fast neck. 'Buckers with simple master tone and volume and 3-way switch plus coil-splitting. LP-ish in style, yet different enough to get noticed (I get LOTS of positive comments). This is a serious player for well under a G... picked mine up WITH a beautiful tweed Hag hardshell case for $600 :dance

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/DSCF2650.jpg

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/Ultra_Swede.html

deeaa
July 3rd, 2010, 11:42 PM
Hey t_ross...that does look like a nice one. Am I crazy or is the guitar smaller than a Les Paul? The body looks a tad smaller. Which is what I like btw. I browsed the webpages and Robert's demos too, and they seem like excellent guitars. Interesting materials too. The only thing I'd miss is the PU switch, I definitely like it where it is on a Les; even modded my strat to have a switch up in the horn like an LP...but these days I don't much use a switch so that's no matter. But the truss rod and the resinator material sound like something I could really appreciate in a guitar.

Sadly, I haven't seen any new Hags round here...except very old vintage ones. Those plastic/whatever weird thingies used to be quite usual in thrift shops etc. at some point. I think they have a few hanging over the counter as decoration in one of the local guitar stores.

Jimi75
July 4th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Have you checked the Schecter models? Brilliant guitars that carry most of the features you mention. Don't know about the prices in the USA, but I think they got decent models under 1k. www.schecterguitars.com

C-1 Standard
http://www.daddys.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/schecter_c1_standard.jpg

Solo 6 Special (has 22 frets, great accessibility although no double cut, a great p-100 plus awesome looks!)
c1GaODLjK9c&feature=channel

Tibernius
July 4th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Have you checked the Schecter models? Brilliant guitars that carry most of the features you mention. Don't know about the prices in the USA, but I think they got decent models under 1k.

Seconded.

From what you're after I'd say you should check out the Schecter Tempest series. Plays like a Les Paul, but with the extra cutaway so it's really easy to reach the higher frets. Only 22 frets though, and it does still have a slight neck heel; although I've found that with the cutaway the heel doesn't make that much difference.

Fairly light as well, I've got a "Mahogany" (really Agathis) LP clone that weighs about twice as much as the real Mahogany Tempest.

Eric
July 4th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. Man, with all of these ideas, I'm almost back where I started! Well OK, not really. It's good to know I'm not exactly starved for places to look, anyway.

Kazz
July 4th, 2010, 06:08 AM
You know when I read your specs 2 guitars came to mind...the SG Either in Gibson or Epi brands, and the 335 or Epi Dot. Even the Washburn version of the 335.

sunvalleylaw
July 4th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Jimi, Schecters can be priced pretty well around here. They are nice too. Not big on the vine of life ones, but there are quite a few nice ones it seems.

Jimi75
July 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Jimi, Schecters can be priced pretty well around here. They are nice too. Not big on the vine of life ones, but there are quite a few nice ones it seems.

Thanks for the info SVL. You are right with what you say, in the end they are great working machines and the tones you get out of these are excellent. I myslef will have an eye on the Solo 6 Special :thumbsup

t_ross33
July 4th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hey t_ross...that does look like a nice one. Am I crazy or is the guitar smaller than a Les Paul?

Yep, definitely smaller, thinner and lighter will a "belly-cut" like a Strat too... super comfortable to play on stage. It's even lighter than my Tele, which now feels like a LP in comparison :pancake

Eric
July 7th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I've thought about this some more, and really, if I could combine my two electrics (Agile AL-3100 + Godin Redline), I think it would be my favorite guitar.

From the Agile:

great warm cleans, smooth overdriven and distorted tones
beautiful fit & finish and a great-looking axe with a carved top
well-balanced
good fretwork
two pickups, good control over tone and volume shaping due to switching and knobs

From the Godin:

light and easy to handle
super-fast action and easy as pie to play
great upper-fret access due to double-cutaway and 24 frets, even with a bolt-on neck and subsequent heel
simple interface
super-comfortable neck

Both are 24.75" scale with the radius on the Agile as 13.7" and 15" or 16" on the Godin.

Just adding to the discussion, I suppose -- I really like both of the guitars, but for different reasons, you know?

Katastrophe
July 7th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Are any of these getting closer???????? Click on each pic for a better view.

The last one, the LTD PB model, has Seymour Duncan P-Rails pups, capable of doing single coil, P90, and humbucker tones.

Geez, I do a lot of edits: I'm with you on the Godin necks. I've played about 4 different models now (Session, Redline, LG, SD), and they feel absolutely fantastic. My favorite was an older LG with a mahog neck and EMGs.

Eric
July 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Are any of these getting closer???????? Click on each pic for a better view.

The last one, the LTD PB model, has Seymour Duncan P-Rails pups, capable of doing single coil, P90, and humbucker tones.

Geez, I do a lot of edits: I'm with you on the Godin necks. I've played about 4 different models now (Session, Redline, LG, SD), and they feel absolutely fantastic. My favorite was an older LG with a mahog neck and EMGs.
Yeah, those look good. Were there a few Schecters in there? I couldn't quite tell.

You've actually managed to get me interested in Carvins, but I have to cool my jets. I'm actually pretty happy with my setup at present, but am just stockpiling ideas for the future.

What I have realized is that if a guitar plays great and sounds great, I really don't care how it looks (within reason, of course). It's still nice to have a sweet-looking guitar, but it's far from the most critical thing.

Katastrophe
July 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
From top to bottom:

Schecter S1
Carvin TL60 with 'buckers, mahog body/neck, Holdsworth headstock (from the Guitars in Stock section)
PRS SE Singlecut
Schecter C1
ESP LTD PB 351

Threw a couple of Schecters in there because they sound great, play great, and a solid value for the money (as has already been mentioned). They definitely have some wilder designs with the Tempest, Avenger, and others, so I went with the more conservative ones, given your current stable of guitars.

BTW, ESP and Schecter are owned by the same company. If you browse through their respective lines, you can see a lot of similarities.