PDA

View Full Version : G- string keeps going bad

pes_laul
July 4th, 2010, 02:53 PM
On my Seagull S6 I noticed that the G string has gone completely dead. Like it sounds like I'm palm muting it. But none of the other strings did this. I changed just the G string and it was fine for about a day then it started going dead again.

Does anyone know what this could be from? Or how to fix it?

markb
July 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Does it ever sound OK? It could just be a bad batch of strings, maybe try a different brand. Failing that, get the nut looked at. IME, odd string problems like this usually wind up being caused by the nut.

FrankenFretter
July 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Switch from G-strings to boxers.

Hey, someone was going to say it eventually. ;-)

pes_laul
July 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Does it ever sound OK? It could just be a bad batch of strings, maybe try a different brand. Failing that, get the nut looked at. IME, odd string problems like this usually wind up being caused by the nut.
It used to sound good. But then it just started losing tone and getting real muffled sounding fast. I changed the strings and it did the same thing on that string again.

Eric
July 5th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Does it do the same thing up the neck? My initial thought is that it's getting stretched out as it gets broken in and maybe there's some fret weirdness on that string. If you go up one fret at a time on that string, do you get the same phenomenon?

poodlesrule
July 5th, 2010, 06:41 AM
What about the bridge end of the string?

Could it be positioned weird there and after a day or so it slips a slight bit?

pes_laul
July 5th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Does it do the same thing up the neck? My initial thought is that it's getting stretched out as it gets broken in and maybe there's some fret weirdness on that string. If you go up one fret at a time on that string, do you get the same phenomenon?
Yeah it sounds the same every fret you play it. even when its played open.

I checked the bridge when I changed the string. But not very closely so I might do that when I change the strings.

Kazz
July 5th, 2010, 08:20 AM
this might be a case where the truss rod needs a slight tweak

Eric
July 5th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Yeah it sounds the same every fret you play it. even when its played open.

I checked the bridge when I changed the string. But not very closely so I might do that when I change the strings.
Hrm. Well then, I'm going to go with one of the other suggestions and say it's probably either the nut or the bridge. Useful info, I know.

deeaa
July 5th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Either the nut slot is too big or there isn't enough tilt over it, causing the string to vibrate in the slot as opposed to vibrating after it only, and the friction damps the whole string motion, or the same happens in the bridge, perhaps a bridge part is loose and vibrates along with the string instead of being a steady suspension point, which effectively kills the sound/vibration. Brand new strings might take a short while to set and thus sound OK in the very beginning.

Check the nut/tilt over it. Rectify with string trees or fill the slot a little with superglue until it's nice and tight. Check and/or replace any loose parts in the bridge (the actual bridge piece or height adjustment screws.

Can't think of anything else that could do that. No, wait...do you have very high polepieces in mics under G string? Magnetic pull cold cause it as well.

Tig
July 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Switch from G-strings to boxers.

Hey, someone was going to say it eventually. ;-)

Good, I wasn't the only one who is warped!

Oh, my G-string works just fine...
http://images6.cpcache.com/product/403292306v1_350x350_Front_Color-White.jpg
:rollover

pes_laul
July 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Either the nut slot is too big or there isn't enough tilt over it, causing the string to vibrate in the slot as opposed to vibrating after it only, and the friction damps the whole string motion, or the same happens in the bridge, perhaps a bridge part is loose and vibrates along with the string instead of being a steady suspension point, which effectively kills the sound/vibration. Brand new strings might take a short while to set and thus sound OK in the very beginning.

Check the nut/tilt over it. Rectify with string trees or fill the slot a little with superglue until it's nice and tight. Check and/or replace any loose parts in the bridge (the actual bridge piece or height adjustment screws.

Can't think of anything else that could do that. No, wait...do you have very high polepieces in mics under G string? Magnetic pull cold cause it as well.
Its an acoustic with no pickups.

M29
July 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hello K with a Pez,

I would also think it is either the nut slot or the bridge saddle. More the nut slot. They can cause all kinds of odd issues.

deeaa
July 5th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Oh yeah, well even more so it must be the nut or saddle. Have you tried a slightly different gauge string instead?

gregsguitars
July 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Most G strings are pretty good in my opinion......

gregsguitars
July 28th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Picture deleted ?