PDA

View Full Version : I started writing a book today...

Katastrophe
July 5th, 2010, 09:36 AM
My first ever, as a creativity excercise. Looks like it's gonna be about a peace officer in a small, rural Texas county. There's going to be a few outlandish characters, some humor, and hopefully a fast paced plot to move it along.

Are any of you novel readers? If so, what do you enjoy reading?

deeaa
July 5th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I don't read nearly as much as I used to due to small kids and lack of time. Right now I'm reading Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park, and before that I read Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. Although the latter is fact not fiction it was very good, I think it should be made mandatory reading in schools actually, and the previous seems OK although not quite American Psycho or Less Than Zero level.

Most often I enjoy scifi short stories/books. Occasionally a history book...like Anthony Beevor's Stalingrad I read a while back. And yeah! Recently I read Cormac McCarthy's The Road and it was one of the best books I have ever read. My favorite writers would be probably Roald Dahl, Ray Bradbury and such.

I have been writing a fantasy novel for years with my buddy, but we have these breaks from it for several months. We do have some 300 pages done, only maybe 150 to go.

Tig
July 5th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I could introduce you to my many Texas rural relatives if you need a serious dose of character study! Think Robert Duval in Lonesome Dove or Crazy Heart.

That's cool that you are taking on a novel. I love reading when I get the chance, but guitar has taken a big chunk of my free time.

kiteman
July 6th, 2010, 06:34 AM
My first ever, as a creativity excercise. Looks like it's gonna be about a peace officer in a small, rural Texas county. There's going to be a few outlandish characters, some humor, and hopefully a fast paced plot to move it along.

Are any of you novel readers? If so, what do you enjoy reading?

That sounds like Maggody by Joan Hess. It's about a rural peace officer with lots of zany characters. If you haven't read any I'd suggest you read some. It's fun stuff. By the way the peace officer is a female.

poodlesrule
July 6th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Do you plan on introducing some musical references in the piece...?

We will cheer you up as needed, when going through editing cycles (which you will share with us here!).

Katastrophe
July 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks, guys!

I'm pretty sure this will turn into a "see Jane run" kind of simplistic work, rather than an award winner. I'm gonna have fun with it and see what happens!

I'll post progress, trials and tribulations here.

Eric
July 6th, 2010, 07:50 AM
before that I read Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. Although the latter is fact not fiction it was very good, I think it should be made mandatory reading in schools actually
Really? That guy seems so agenda-driven and combative that he's fallen into that Michael-Moore-self-invalidation-via-obvious-bias trap in my mind. I've never read the book, but what did you like about it?

Jimi75
July 6th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Really? That guy seems so agenda-driven and combative that he's fallen into that Michael-Moore-self-invalidation-via-obvious-bias trap in my mind. I've never read the book, but what did you like about it?

+1^^

@Katastrophe:
Good luck with your project. I think it is a beautiful idea to start writing a book. I have completed a book togehter with a friend, it is a child book, a pirate story with illustrations. It was such fun writing it and inventing the characters. Honestly, the first time I really felt the truth in the path-goal-theory :thumbsup

Eric
July 6th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to say good idea, K! I think it's pretty cool that you've decided to do that.

It takes me a long time to get rolling on a book, but then I usually devour it once I'm into it. Currently trying to convince myself to get back into Atlas Shrugged...

Bloozcat
July 7th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Good luck with your endevor, Kat! Above all else, I hope it's an enjoyable and edifying experience for you.

I've toyed with the idea of writing a novel myself, and got so far as to create an outline and some characters. I really like to write, but I've just never gotten around to sitting down and doing it. My greatest reservation is that once I begin I'll be consumed by it...to the exclusion of all else.

Bloozcat
July 7th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to say good idea, K! I think it's pretty cool that you've decided to do that.

It takes me a long time to get rolling on a book, but then I usually devour it once I'm into it. Currently trying to convince myself to get back into Atlas Shrugged...

I've felt compelled lately to get back to Atlas Shrugged as well, Eric. The theme is so appropriate for today. Ayn Rand was a visionary...

deeaa
July 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM

A little, yeah, like that too, but still makes quite sensible statements.