PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting a Dobro

jpfeifer
July 5th, 2010, 10:08 PM
One of my friends called me last week and told me that he was selling his Dobro because he wasn't playing it, and wanted to get some cash for it to buy something else. He offered to sell it to me for a great price, so I decided to go for it.

I've always wanted a Dobro but never made the move to buy one until now. I wasn't sure whether or I wanted a round-neck or square-neck one and never looked into it much further.

The one I'm buying is a square neck variety, so it's made specifically for slide playing. However, the square neck type is also supposed to be the prefered one for slide playing since you can use heavier strings and tune them to the bluegrass-style open G tuning, as I've learned from reading up on the subject.

I can't wait to get it. It will probably take me a while to get some basic chops together on it, but it should be fun to use for recording, just to add some extra color to different types of songs.

Here is a link to the one that I'm buying:
http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Regal-Black-Lightning-Resonator-Guitar?sku=518041

--Jim

Kazz
July 6th, 2010, 04:10 AM
cool cant wait to hear how you have progressed.

Retro Hound
July 6th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I LOVE a Dobro. One of my favorite sounds in the world.

piebaldpython
July 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
SWEET score. The Regal BL is a respected brand and the Quarterman cone makes ALL the difference.

Yes, the squareneck allows you to put CABLES on without worryinng about the neck turning into an archer's bow. People usually string their squarenecks up with a 16-56 set.

High Bass Open G (G-B-D-G-B-D) is the overwhelming favorite tuning. That said, Open D plays out well too and there is instruction available for it.
http://www.lessonswithtroy.com/dobro_lessons/Open-D-Tuning/

Oh yeah, one last thing.....if you wanna make your squareneck REALLY growl and sing....you gotta "dig in" with your picks and PICK with a determined purpose. This ain't no lady....you have to play rough for the best results.

jpfeifer
July 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I've been diving into the Dobro and forcing myself to learn some of the technique.

As it turns out I recently cut one of the fingers on my left hand and had to get 3 stitches (and lay off the guitar for about 1 week) ,but I'm still able to play the Dobro since I can still play it while my finger is covered in a bandage :-)

I've been working with this Jerry Douglas DVD, who is one of the best Dobro players in the world. He is an amazing player. He is also an excellent teacher. I'm working on several different rolls and getting more comfortable with the technique. I switched to using metal finger picks and this seems to get the best overall tone (although I'm still getting used to the way they feel).

Here is a link to a clip from Jerry Douglas if you're interested in seeing what it possible on the Dobro after years of practice :-) It's a very soulful instument, especially when this guy plays it!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6wUvTwH2gWI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6wUvTwH2gWI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

piebaldpython
July 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
JP.......glad to hear things are going well with the Dobro. One of my eternal angsts is trying to use fingerpicks. Plastic gives the best tone but they are unwieldy as all get out plus it's difficult to develop FEEL. Metal gives great volume, fairly easy to shape to one's finger but difficult for ME to develop FEEL. Bare fingers are best for FEEL but volume suffers. lolol

FYI, Cindy Cashdollar put out a great 2 volume instructional DVD set on Dobro. She has great ability and technique.

Jerry Douglas is just well......amazing.......and he got to where he is with a lot of practice. That said, 99.9% of talented people could practice twice as much as he did and still not be anywhere as good as he is.

Keep up the good work.

jpfeifer
July 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Piebaldpython,

I know what you mean about the fingerpicks. They feel about as natural as trying to swim while wearing a pair of dress shoes (it just doesn't feel right). I miss not being able to feel the strings under my fingers and also being able to dampen strings with my right hand.

The finger picks are slowly starting to feel a little more tollerable but I have to work at it.

Have you done any recording with your Dobro?

--Jim

piebaldpython
July 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Piebaldpython,

I know what you mean about the fingerpicks. They feel about as natural as trying to swim while wearing a pair of dress shoes (it just doesn't feel right). I miss not being able to feel the strings under my fingers and also being able to dampen strings with my right hand.

The finger picks are slowly starting to feel a little more tollerable but I have to work at it.

Have you done any recording with your Dobro?

--Jim

Oh dear Lord.......lol......no recording for me. I have a roundneck reso (mahogany body with copper top) and lap steels. Yeah, the metal fingerpicks do make a sound when you pick block playing slide/steel and so I only use them when playing non-slide where it's not an issue. I haven't had any time to play recently and therefore can't really progress or get to a point where I can say I will just stay with one or the other.