PDA

View Full Version : My First Build is Complete

andyguitar85
July 6th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Hi Guys

Completed my first build at the weekend and was surprised that I could make a Guitar which looks, sounds and plays great

Here is the spec;

* Basswood Body
* Alnico V Magnet Vintage wound 5.4k staggered pole single coil units with hot bridge pickup 6.2k
* Alpha brand 250k pots and switch
* 3-way mini switch to allow a range of different tones
* Wilkinson WV6 SB Tremolo Bridge
* Wilkinson Deluxe EZ-Lock Machine Heads

Here is a before and after pic of my first Guitar Build.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t250/andrewp3498/Guitar_before.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t250/andrewp3498/Guitar1.jpg

Eric
July 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Nice looking axe! I like the orange color.

Bloozcat
July 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Congrats, Andy!

Feels great, doesn't it? :dance

duhvoodooman
July 6th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Nice!! And if you have a gig on Halloween, that's the axe to bring! :dude :AOK

progrmr
July 6th, 2010, 01:35 PM
very nice looking! congrats!

Tone2TheBone
July 6th, 2010, 01:55 PM
That's nice I like the color combination.

M29
July 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Oh what a feeling a feeling deep inside oh yeah oh yeah! That is a great part of guitar ownership/experience many miss out on. Everyone should give it a try. :thumbsup Nice job!!

Tig
July 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Whoa! Nice job! Looks like a professional build, and since it plays and sounds so well, it is. That orange reminds me of the latest Charvels.
I may have to do this some day. Perhaps a build instead of buying a CV 50's Tele... Hmmmmm

syo
July 7th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Very nice work. Color combination along with the vintage knobs and covers go very nice together.

Just noticed you are in N. Wales. One of my favorite places. Spent alot of time around Porthmadog, Criccieth and Betws y Coed.
Fabulous country. Nice Guitar! :applause

Kazz
July 7th, 2010, 05:28 AM
More details my friend more details....did you make the body from scratch? Possibly the neck too? Is this a kit guitar? What kind of finish did you use...etc etc.....I just ordered a router table so my summer fun is just about to begin. I have MDF ready to make templates, a enough alder to make a one piece body and enough Cherry and Spalted Maple to do about 3 maybe 4 guitars out of. Only have 2 necks at the moment but once I get to cutting out bodies that may be an easily solved problem :-) I will be making at least 2 telecasters and possibly a strat depending on how the tele builds go. I hear the building thing can be addicting lmao

DeanEVO_Dude
July 7th, 2010, 06:04 AM
That wood almost looked good enough to have a clear finish (i.e. sunburst) on it... Very nice color, reminds me of a color that Chevy used in the late '60s on the Camaro called Hugger Orange.

Sweet axe, man!

andyguitar85
July 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Really appreciate it.

It is very addictive and I will no doubt start a new project in a few months time :dude

Kazz <-- I bought the body and neck because my woodworking skills are not great and I haven't got all the tools. In the future I would love to design and make the body too. Decided a standard strat style guitar would make a good first project. After I got the body and neck I purchased all the other parts separately on ebay etc.

I used standard acrylic spray paint for the body and then coated in clear laquer. If you get really close there are one or two imperfections, but not noticable unless you look close up.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with when your project gets started

Syo <-- Thanks. Yes it is a very nice part of the world to be. I live about an hour or so by car from the places you mentioned and always try to get to that area when I can and take in the fresh air and scenery.