PDA

View Full Version : My parts came in!

grungeiceman
July 8th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Well all of the parts for the strat came in, pretty frusterating. The tuners sleeve seems like it just falls in and out of the head and doesnt fit snug, and the bottom the the tuner is to wide to fit so looks like some drilling ahead. uhhg. ohh well. its looking decent though. And all the parts were great quality.

grungeiceman
July 8th, 2010, 09:48 PM
anyone have this problem before?

deeaa
July 8th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I have...common in cheaper tuners IMO. But luckily some nice Gotohs etc. won't break the bank...

oldguy
July 9th, 2010, 03:57 AM
g-man,

They come in different sizes. You know that, right?:poke

Bloozcat
July 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Ok, so the sleeve is too small for the hole...

What do you mean, "the bottom the the tuner is to wide to fit so looks like some drilling ahead"?

If I'm correct in assuming, you bought the "tuxedo" tuners with the black body and MOP keys? They're 10mm and so should be you're headstock holes (although I've seen 10.5mm).

A quick fix for this is to get some aluminum tape and cut some short, narrow strips as wide as the portion of the sleeve that should press into the wood. Wrap the sleve with one turn of the aluminum tape and try it in the hole. If it's tight, youre good to go. If not, add a little more tape on opposite sides of the sleeve. Re-fit. I've done the same thing on the shaft of cheap tuners where they fit sloppily in the sleeve.

The reason I say to use the aluminum tape is because as a metal tape it won't compress and loosen up later on.

grungeiceman
July 9th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah,they are the tuxedo tuners and are 10mm but its for my squier strat and the holes on it are smaller, so im goign to ahve to drill the holes to 10mm and the sleve problem isnt an isse becuase ive realized they srew into the tuner. thanks!

Bloozcat
July 15th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Yeah,they are the tuxedo tuners and are 10mm but its for my squier strat and the holes on it are smaller, so im goign to ahve to drill the holes to 10mm and the sleve problem isnt an isse becuase ive realized they srew into the tuner. thanks!

Before you drill out the tuner holes I'd highly suggest that you get a reamer and ream the holes. Even if you can't ream the holes to the exact size you need, you can get them started and then clean them up with a drill bit.

I have seen headstocks crack and be rendered useless by drilling out the holes. It's usually caused by a dull drill bit, a hand held drill not held perpendicular to the headstock face, too fast/too slow a drill speed, etc. It's not that you can't drill them out successfully, you just have to be very careful. IMHO, a drill press is a must for drilling out existing tuner holes. And, use a sharp drill bit. I would also advise using a padded drill press vise when drilling. This prevents vibration of the headstock which can cause the headstock to crack.

I've watched my friend at Resurrection Guitars drill out larger tuner holes on a drill press. But even he said that unless you know what you're doing you could easily crack the headstock.