PDA

View Full Version : Tuning

tot_Ou_tard
October 14th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I just realized that I don't understand tuning. I've recently read that if the open strings are accurately tuned then the first few frets are typically sharp particularly on the G-string. It was a revelation! That sharp A on the second fret G-string was driving me nuts.

It is claimed that some people tune a little flat to and/or unconsciously adjust their fretting to compensate.

Then there are things like the Earvana nut & the Buzz Feiten System. It makes this guy

http://truetemperament.com/images/stories/dwgclose1.jpg

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1501

seem like a genius.

Here's a tuning question. Can one tune a guitar with a capo on?

Moshe
October 18th, 2006, 06:04 AM
There is no such thing as exact tuning. If you tune exactly for one key, it will screw up the others, even on a piano.

You have to find middle ground no matter what.

SuperSwede
October 18th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Or play on a fretless instrument where you can compensate with your fingers.

duhvoodooman
October 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Or play on a fretless instrument where you can compensate with your fingers.
I must be doing something wrong. It's my fingers that cause most of the problems in the first place. :D

SuperSwede
October 18th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I must be doing something wrong. It's my fingers that cause most of the problems in the first place. :D

Have you consulted a surgeon? You might want to trade those fingers for a set of SRV limited edition fingers (very limited supply). I hear that the Yngwie J Malmsteen "Fingers From Hell" are pretty good too. I think they come with his signature Hair Replacement Kit. I dont recommend Virtual Vintage fingers at all.

Tone2TheBone
October 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Have you consulted a surgeon? You might want to trade those fingers for a set of SRV limited edition fingers (very limited supply). I hear that the Yngwie J Malmsteen "Fingers From Hell" are pretty good too. I think they come with his signature Hair Replacement Kit. I dont recommend Virtual Vintage fingers at all.

LMAO. :DR I think the Fingers From Hell might be a little too THICK these days. :D

SuperSwede
October 18th, 2006, 02:16 PM
http://www.modernguitars.com/imagefiles/ym/ym13RIGHTEIGHT.gifPerhaps.. but they come with pretty funky rings, and look at all that great hair you get for free when you order within 10 minutes!!!

*calling 666-Y N G W I E*

duhvoodooman
October 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Perhaps.. but they come with pretty funky rings, and look at all that great hair you get for free when you order within 10 minutes!!!

*calling 666-Y N G W I E*
Order right now and get two dozen donuts FREE!!!!

tot_Ou_tard
October 18th, 2006, 06:45 PM
There is no such thing as exact tuning. If you tune exactly for one key, it will screw up the others, even on a piano.

You have to find middle ground no matter what.
Well someone should get the word out to the newbies. It'd save alot of fingers from hell handwringing!!!