PDA

View Full Version : WORST resale value??

Eric
July 9th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Searched for this beforehand, but didn't find anything on it, so...

I've recently been made aware of the fact that, despite their high quality, the value of Carvin guitars tends to drop like a rock when they're used.

It made me wonder what other guitars (and/or amps, etc.) have poor resale value. It seems like those guitars would be a good target for shoppers looking to score some good deals. From what I've seen, unless the headstock says Gibson, Fender, or Paul Reed Smith, there's probably already a bit of a dropoff.

So what are your ideas on brands with bad resale??

Heywood Jablomie
July 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Searched for this beforehand, but didn't find anything on it, so...

I've recently been made aware of the fact that, despite their high quality, the value of Carvin guitars tends to drop like a rock when they're used.

It made me wonder what other guitars (and/or amps, etc.) have poor resale value. It seems like those guitars would be a good target for shoppers looking to score some good deals. From what I've seen, unless the headstock says Gibson, Fender, or Paul Reed Smith, there's probably already a bit of a dropoff.

So what are your ideas on brands with bad resale??
Unless a given guitar, regardless of brand, is some sort of "collector's item", they all lose value, being quite simply used guitars. The big-name brands lose less value, but a significant amount nonetheless. A savvy buyer can enjoy significant savings and enjoy nice purchases of previously owned gear, but to expect a new guitar to retain most of its value is absurd. No different than cars - some retain value better than others but they all become used after they leave the lot, and they all depreciate.

Eric
July 9th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I agree, but that's not really the point. I think most would agree that certain makes of cars (e.g. Kia) lose their value more quickly than others (e.g. Honda). What are the Kias of the guitar world?

Katastrophe
July 9th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Peavey guitars, with the possible exception of the used Wolfgangs, seem to go pretty cheaply.

otaypanky
July 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
From everything I have heard Carvin makes a really good instrument, are modestly priced to begin with, but don't have a great resale value. I would think a used Carvin could be a very good purchase.

Heywood Jablomie
July 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
What are the Kias of the guitar world?
I think you may have already answered your own question. The known big names (although some models/years vary greatly) will command the higher price used. Next would be the well-known "lesser" brands, like Squier and Epiphone. After that, it's pretty much everything else out there.

As you've seen on these boards, there are bargains and ripoffs with any brand or model. As they say, one man's junk..........

markb
July 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
If you want to maximise your resale value buy Fender, Gibson, Gretsch (expensive ones only) and Martin. Buy only the classic models in popular colours, the "odd" stuff will not command the market like "the one the bloke in that band plays". Make sure you keep all the swing tags, owner's manuals and other bits and bobs that come in the case.

And above all, never, ever play it.

:D :D :D

deeaa
July 9th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Well, funny you should mention Kia...I've been planning our next car of late, although I don't know if it'll have to bought in 6 months or 6 years (I'd prefer the latter) but anyhow...I decided a poor man should not buy cheap.

If I spend something like 25K in a used car, I can get me an almost new Citroen, almost new Kia or Huyndai or such...or a much older Volvo or even older Mercedes.

But the thing is, when I look at the values of said cars after 4 more years and some 60.000 miles more - well it appears that Mercedes still has way more value left, whereas a Kia costs peanuts.

So it makes sense to buy the best I can...if I buy a Merc, say a 2004 model, I only lose like 3000 bucks a year in loss of value if I change every four years, whereas if I go with a newer Kia or something, it may be more like 6000 a year....

Anyway back to guitars...I haven't really noticed any brands with very low resale values here, except with the already cheap stuff. That will be cheaper still when used.

But it's not like I ever see guitars that make me go oh my satan, now that is a cheap price indeed compared to the original price...maybe some more rare brands are hard to sell. In like, if you buy a great guitar by an unknown brand, that spells trouble, as people don't know it, hard to find a buyer.

I suppose what always sells the lowest with regards to original price are specials...you know, unique graphics, ready-relic'd ones etc. The standard U.S. strat and Gibson hold the value the best - with others the values fluctuate by what's in style at what time - but very few people want a used 'special' guitar, be it with some special paint job or handmade luthier stuff.

Commodore 64
July 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Godin, Michael Kelly based on my own personal experience.

duhvoodooman
July 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
EDIT: Oops--never mind. Misread the original post.

Dean guitars seem to fit this description.

Retro Hound
July 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
If I understand Eric's question, what he's asking is, "what brands drop off so much that they are a good deal for the second-hand buyer?"

I had a Peavey guitar that was exactly the same as my Squier Strat from what I could tell, and I sold the Peavey, but now wish I'd sold the Squier as I could have gotten about $35 more bucks for it.

LeadedEL84
July 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM
EDIT: Oops--never mind. Misread the original post.

Dean guitars seem to fit this description.
I second the vote for Deans. Lately I have seen Deans being almost given away on ebay. I have seen used Cadillacs in like new condition selling for $300 or a little more. Other models as well. I personally experienced this when I sold my Dean Hardtail about two months ago. It was like new. I had it a little over a year but 98% of the time I had it the guitar was in its gig bag. I bought it new but never bonded with it and kept it in new condition hoping to get most of my money back out of it. I lost my @$$ on it. what a shame too. It was nice! USA Deans are a different story. They are expensive and seem to hold their value pretty well. The import Deans have a history of not holding their value. Around 2006 I bought a used EVO Special for $200. Aside from a few belt buckle marks on the back it looked and played like it was brand spankin' new. The previous owner bought it new and had it less than a year. Deans were fairly popular 4 and 5 years ago so I felt lucky to land that one. But really it is a long time trend with import Deans. I don't know why really. Both of mine were a great value and nice players. I still have the EVO. It was my number 1 player until I got my Les Paul about 2 months ago.

Right now it is a buyers market for guitars. Unless you are looking for a rare vintage popular historic icon or a high end big name model by Gibson,Fender,Gretch etc...there are deals to be had. If you got the money go buy now. If I told you what I paid for my Les Paul studio there would be Fretters crying. Maybe a few laughing. It is glossy paint model in excellent condition not the satin model. I paid less than half price. I was laughing and the seller was crying. But believe me I know how he felt. The shoe was on the other foot when my like new Hardtail only brought $304 and I had to pay ebay fees and shipping out of that.:reallymad:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_113024bcf6ba7c9b21.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1572)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_113024bcf78b649ad4.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1575)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_113024c1b5033c7c90.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1630)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_113024c27bd203e367.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1656)

Tig
July 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I thought this thread was gonna' be about ex-wives... Wheew! :reallymad:
Hold on, I think there's a song here.

hubberjub
July 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM
If we're sticking with higher end guitars, I'd add Heritage and Hamer. Both make great guitars but can be had on the cheap in the used market. Godin guitars are relatively inexpensive if purchased new but can be an absolute bargain used. We've already discussed Carvin. Also, look for decent partscasters. I often see guitars with Warmoth necks and bodies and quality hardware and electronics going for pennies on the dollar. If you don't care about a brand name on the headstock that can be a good way to go.

FrankenFretter
July 12th, 2010, 07:14 AM
It's unfortunate that the people in this area seem to think that 75-90% of what they paid retail is a fair asking price on Craig's List. I'm sure Heywood can back me up on this, but even Carvins are not to be had at bargain prices around here. Once in a while I see something priced about what it should be, and then I get paranoid and figure it must be counterfeit. I'm grateful for the CL police, the self-appointed price patrols who post warnings when there's a ripoff waiting to happen. Maybe these folks have too much time on their hands, but it seems to serve a legitimate purpose, even if they are a bit acerbic with their posts at times.

Worst resale value around here seems to be the aforementioned Dean and Peavey, and apparently Crate. I didn't even know Crate made guitars. Also the lower end Ibanez guitars go pretty cheap.

Heywood Jablomie
July 12th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I sure will back you up on that, FF. The majority of the asking prices are WAY out of the ballpark. Hell, some of them are more than the item costs brand new. I look at some of the prices, shake my head and think, "give me an effin break!". And you're right about the fair prices arousing suspicion - maybe it's only because they're so rare.....

pes_laul
July 12th, 2010, 07:55 AM
My ibanez sure had a crappy resale value. Paid 650$ for it and got 200$ for it

FrankenFretter
July 12th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Ouch!

hubberjub
July 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM

Didn't you trade your Ibanez in at a music store? That will do it every time.