PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a practice neck.

omegadot
July 11th, 2010, 10:42 PM
So, as the title states, I am thinking of buying a practice neck. I see a few on musicians friend that seem to all essentially be the same thing. The reason I'd like one is I work almost entirely alone and I could easily just use it to strengthen my fingers/keep them limber at work. I am curious if anyone else has tried this and found it useless, though.

deeaa
July 11th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'd rather get a small guitar for the purpose...I hardly ever practice on on actual guitar either because it's boring, and suspect practicing on something that doesn't even make sounds might be mindblowingly so.

omegadot
July 11th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'd rather get a small guitar for the purpose...I hardly ever practice on on actual guitar either because it's boring, and suspect practicing on something that doesn't even make sounds might be mindblowingly so.

Right, but it's for use at work. I work alone, but I'm also in the Navy. If whoever in my chain of command walks in and I'm taking a break eating and doing chord changes on a little piece of wood, no biggie. I can't take a guitar into work. I'm just wondering if it will help anything, even if it's boring.

deeaa
July 11th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Oh BTW I have one of these...http://www.powerballs.com/

They are surprisingly good workout for wrists and fingers...I try to hold it with just fingertips and it feels like a really good finger flexibility exercise. Lazy as I am, I have forgotten to use it much of late...must start using it more again.

omegadot
July 11th, 2010, 11:22 PM
That's pretty snazzy, I'll have to check it out.

pes_laul
July 12th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Oh BTW I have one of these...http://www.powerballs.com/

They are surprisingly good workout for wrists and fingers...I try to hold it with just fingertips and it feels like a really good finger flexibility exercise. Lazy as I am, I have forgotten to use it much of late...must start using it more again.
Whoah you have me interested in that. How much do those go for?

deeaa
July 12th, 2010, 07:02 AM
No idea pes...got mine used for a twenty.

Eric
July 12th, 2010, 07:05 AM
From the website, it looks like $25 for the basic model.

omegadot
July 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
I ended up unearthing my hand grip thingies from when I was more intensely into strength training. Seems to be helping quite a bit, and for free!

bcdon
July 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM
Have you looked into Yamaha's Silent Guitar?
http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/products/silentseriesguitars/SLG100S/keyfeatures.jsp
FWF79H3INQU

omegadot
July 24th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Well I can't take anything like that into work. The practice neck or my little grip things aren't much different than a book. I can just set those aside on my desk. The attraction for these devices is that they are very small. The lack of noise is naturally a requirement too, but it's mostly just the size and appearance. Fiddling with a practice neck or using hand grip devices isn't a big deal to see. Strumming a silent guitar, that's gonna turn heads.

sumitomo
July 24th, 2010, 07:17 AM
See that is one of the advantages of being a lefty plays righty,I always have my finger exercise tool with me,I was born with it!LOL! Sumi:D

bcdon
July 24th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Well I can't take anything like that into work. The practice neck or my little grip things aren't much different than a book.

Well then, it looks like you answered your own question. Buy a practice neck and give it a try... you can always return it if you find it useless.

kiteman
July 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM
See that is one of the advantages of being a lefty plays righty,I always have my finger exercise tool with me,I was born with it!LOL! Sumi:D

Don't forget rightys can play leftys too. :poke