PDA

View Full Version : Wound G-string

tot_Ou_tard
October 14th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Anybody ever use a wound G-string on their electric? I got a set of strings that came with both a wound G and an unwound G & I am contemplating trying the wound G, except I'm concerned that the nut slot might not be wide enough to accomodate it.

jpfeifer
October 14th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I've tried a wound G-string on one of my electrics. I have a set of flatwounds on it for playing Jazz and it came with a wound G-string. I'm not sure if I like it or not. You can't put as much vibrato on the notes of that string because it's a little stiff.

-- Jim

Tim
October 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
My thoughts would be the unwounded “G” strings are easier to bend when playing those screaming solos. The wounded “G” strings would be good for a straight rhythm playing.

tot_Ou_tard
October 14th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I've tried a wound G-string on one of my electrics. I have a set of flatwounds on it for playing Jazz and it came with a wound G-string. I'm not sure if I like it or not. You can't put as much vibrato on the notes of that string because it's a little stiff.

-- Jim
Yeah it's a flatwound set.

My thoughts would be the unwounded ā€œGā€ strings are easier to bend when playing those screaming solos. The wounded ā€œGā€ strings would be good for a straight rhythm playing.

That's what I thought. Fuller sound for jazz comping & rhythm, harder to bend etc for lead.