PDA

View Full Version : Favorite non-guitar based group

tot_Ou_tard
October 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Mine is Medeski, Martin, & Wood.

...OK Chris Wood plays a bass guitar, but you know what I mean.

Iago
October 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
is there such thing? hehehe

but what you mean exactly? no guitars at all or a band where the guitar doenst have that big role?

Spudman
October 14th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Niacin - this is the super, and I do mean super group with Dennis Chambers on drums, Billy Sheehan on bass, and John Novello on keys.

Check em out. Oh, hold on to something solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6c6zWpzlQk

Cranium
October 14th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I like Queen alot and Elvis ofcourse, although Brian May is a guitarist, I don't think that its a guitar based band.

Spudman
October 14th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I like Queen alot and Elvis ofcourse, although Brian May is a guitarist, I don't think that its a guitar based band.

Wait. Brian May one of the all time great guitarists and you think Queen is NOT a guitar based band. Bzzzzt. Wrong. And Elvis....hmmmm Scotty Moore. Try again.

Think in the vein of Benfolds Five or Emmerson Lake and Palmer. No Guitars!

Cranium
October 15th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I do not know why you would think that May is one of the greatest guitarists of all time, I do not find him as a huge influence and I never looked into his playing; he uses a coin for pick! Seriously Spud, maybe its just me though, for example a lot of people think SRV is the greatest but I always thought his songs were primitive and lacked variety.
I could think of some other bands/artists though, Elton John, Rod Steward, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Roy Orbison, Oscar Benton and maybe some others that I can't remember at the moment, Beatles maybe? :D

Tinky-Winky
October 15th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Well, he had an original tone and I think while he isn't the best player, some of the solos he did were really excellent.

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2006, 06:20 AM
is there such thing? hehehe

but what you mean exactly? no guitars at all or a band where the guitar doenst have that big role?
I was thinking no guitars other than bass, but I'm happy to hear of bands where someone plays a mean lead rubber balloon & the guitar player just comps in an uninspiring way in the background :D

Niacin - this is the super, and I do mean super group with Dennis Chambers on drums, Billy Sheehan on bass, and John Novello on keys.

Check em out. Oh, hold on to something solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6c6zWpzlQk
Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Fantastic Spudz!

SuperSwede
October 15th, 2006, 06:43 AM
I love to listen to Sting, I guess that you cannot say that his music is guitar based.

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I love to listen to Sting, I guess that you cannot say that his music is guitar based.
His music (as is alot of music) is voice based.

Spudman
October 15th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Peter Gabriel.

Cranium - I did not say that I thought Brian May was one of the greatest guitarists of all time, it's simply understood that he is hugely influential AND his band is guitar based.

I think the thread is in need of answers to the question it asks. Non guitar based bands.

In that case throw in Bjork.

t_ross33
October 15th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Early-80's Depeche Mode. But then that leads us into the whole 80's keyboard driven Pet Shop Boys territory :eek: Not exactly a favorite but definately qualifies as non-guitar.

Billy Joel.

Highland Pipe and Drums (aye Jimmy, I am a Rrrrrross after all) ;)

Iago
October 15th, 2006, 07:21 PM
probably the Beach Boys...

and Mutantes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLs_U394kq8

(nevermind the audience... :/)

Spudman
October 15th, 2006, 08:24 PM
and Mutantes!

Ooo. Those guys were way ahead of their time. Never heard of them before thanks Iago. Great stuff.

Although I would call them a guitar based band.

Hogfullofblues
October 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Always liked Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Still do.

fender tele
October 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I'd have to go with Weather Report.

marnold
October 18th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I've always liked 80s New Wave bands. Otherwise, of course, I'd have to choose something like a good baroque chamber orchestra.

tot_Ou_tard
October 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM
ELP, Weather Report.

Nice!

OK, Marnold name that baroque chamber orchestra!

tremoloman
October 19th, 2006, 03:51 PM
The Cure hands down...

Spudman
October 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM
The Cure hands down...

But that's a guitar based band, right?

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 20th, 2006, 11:33 AM
maybe its just me though, for example a lot of people think SRV is the greatest but I always thought his songs were primitive and lacked variety.

I just pissed myself, you gotta be kidding me , SRV primative and lacking variety...jezus... this is a guitar forum is it not ,6S9L

Spudman
October 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM
6S9L - I trust you still had your Depends on and the problem didn't get away from you.:D

Let us not forget that this thread is NON GUITAR BASED BAND.

So bands like ELP, Kraftwerk, Genesis (maybe). That kind of stuff.

Robert
October 20th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Sorry, but I don't see the point of this whole thread.

Spudman
October 20th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Sorry, but I don't see the point of this whole thread.

I feel the point is that inspiration can come from a variety of places. And in order to keep ourselves moving ahead maybe we can look into these favorite non-guitar based bands to get new ideas for our own playing.

Many of the professional guitarists that I talk to don't even listen to music in the genre they belong to but look outside of that for inspiration.

I'm keeping my $.02:D

Robert
October 20th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I see. My personal view on music is just that, it's music and if there is a guitar player there or not doesn't matter so much. If it's good, it's good. I don't go looking for non-guitar based groups. Just my $0.02.

tot_Ou_tard
October 20th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I see. My personal view on music is just that, it's music and if there is a guitar player there or not doesn't matter so much. If it's good, it's good. I don't go looking for non-guitar based groups. Just my $0.02.
Exactly!

But I was interested in what music others listened to & enjoyed. In a guitar forum you're bound to get guitar heavy answers. But music is music & formulating the question in this way encourages the discussion to go down a different route than it would otherwise. For example it was worth it to me to hear about Niacin.

It was also nice to be reminded of ELP, which I haven't listened to in far too long a time.

If someone doesn't see the point, that's no problem. The Fret has other threads to occupy them.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0001JXPSO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62370797_.jpg

Sit beside the breakfast table. Think about your troubles
Pour yourself a cup of tea and listen to the bubbles.
You can take your tear drops and drop 'em in a tea cup.
Take 'em down to the river side, and throw 'em over the side.
To be swept up by a current, then taken to the ocean to be eaten by some fishes,
who were eaten by some fishes and swallowed by a whale,
who grew so old, he decomposed.
He died and left his body to the bottom of the ocean.
Now everybody knows that when a body decomposes
the basic elements are given back to the ocean.
And the sea does what it ought to, and soon there's salty water--
Not too good for drinking. 'Cause it tastes just like a tear drop.
And you run it through a filter, and it comes out from a faucet.
And it pours into a teacup, which is just about to bubble.
Now think about your troubles!

--Oblio

tot_Ou_tard
October 21st, 2006, 09:50 AM
Mutantes!

What's story on Mutantes, Iago? Were they a Brazillian phenomenon? And despite what you say I couldn't ignore the audience. Man! What looks!