PDA

View Full Version : RIP George Steinbrenner

R_of_G
July 13th, 2010, 08:32 AM
One of the most divisive figures in American professional sports, George M. Steinbrenner, owner of the New York Yankees, died today at the age of 80 as the result of a heart attack.

There seems to be little middle ground as to opinion on Steinbrenner. People either love him or hate him. I am very firmly in the former camp and on this news of his passing, I feel obligated to pass along this story, as it's one of the things that helped me form my opinion of the man.

I worked for Mr. Steinbrenner for two years in a hotel/restaurant/sports bar he owned here in Tampa. He would come in all the time, and aside from his niece who worked there, I was the only person not afraid to wait on him as his reputation precedes him wherever he goes. They may have been scared of him, but I’m a lifelong Yankees’ fan and to meet The Boss seemed the opportunity of a lifetime for me. He could not have been a kinder, more generous man with a wonderfully self-effacing sense of humor.

During the 1994 season, the one interrupted by the strike, the All-Star Game was on the T.V.s in the sports bar. The announcers were discussing the impending strike and began talking about issues of the owners versus players union. They put up a picture of Steinbrenner and some guys in the restaurant started booing and shouting at the tv that it was all Steinbrenner’s fault for being so greedy and on and on and on. Unbeknownst to these gentlemen, Steinbrenner was in the restaurant himself and witnessed the whole thing. Some of my co-workers gathered to watch the fireworks as Steinbrenner got up from his table. He walked right up to the guys at the other table and extended his hand and said “Hi, I’m George Steinbrenner. Nice to meet you.” These guys were in shock. They apologized profusely, which Steinbrenner told them was unnecessary. He then proceeded to take some photos with them so their friends would believe their story the next day. He bought drinks for them and handled the entire situation with class and good humor.

This was one singular event, but in my time working for him, I saw many others that showed me who the real George Steinbrenner was. Upon finding out I grew up in NY/NJ as a Yankees' fan, he would delight in bringing in former and present Yankee greats to meet me. He loved me because he never had to introduce them as I always knew who they were.

In the business world, he may very well have been all of the things people say he was, but in person, he was a genuine human being, and quite a good one.

I have said many times that as hilarious as Larry David was a Steinbrenner on “Seinfeld,” the producers should have tried to get the actual Steinbrenner to do the part because he’d likely have agreed and he’d have been very very funny.

RIP Mr. Steinbrenner.
Thanks for everything.

Eric
July 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Cool story. I don't know much about the Yankees or his business dealings other than some peripheral stuff like the YES network and their huge payroll, and some rumblings about revenue sharing.

I personally don't have much of an opinion on George S., but I have generally disliked the monolithic team that the Yankees have become. The Scott-Brosius-era Yanks I kind of liked, but I got bored with them when he retired.

Anyway, rest in peace indeed. Steinbrenner was, at a minimum, an important figure in baseball during his time.

R_of_G
July 13th, 2010, 09:11 AM
No doubt... love him or hate him, he had a massive impact on Major League Baseball.

His charitable work for the community here in Tampa is also legendary. Our community lost a major force for improvement. Hopefully his family will continue his legacy here.

Monkus
July 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Awesome story, thanks for sharing...

Bloozcat
July 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Great story, R_of_G.

I don't follow baseball like I used to, but since as far back as I can remember I've been a Yankee fan. Having lived on Long Island during the end of the DiMaggio era and at the start of the Mickey Mantle era, I took it for granted that the Yankees were always winners. It wasn't until the family moved to Cleveland that I realized how despised they were elsewhere. But, they always sold out those opposition stadiums on the road.

George Steinbrenner did come off as a heavy handed businessman, especially in the way he ran the Yankees. I always liked Billy Martin so I was more than a little miffed when Steinbrenner fired him...then hired him back...then fired him again. It wasn't until I acquired a sense of theater about the whole thing that I finally just sat back and laughed at it. Even Steinbrenner and Martin appreciated the humor in it as they did that TV commercial together years later (I can't remember what the commercial was for...does it really matter?). Steinbrenner should have done a quest spot on Trump's TV show The Apprentice and fired him. Now that would have been hilarious, Steinbrenner showing Trump how it's done...:thumbsup

I'll miss Steinbrenner because he was one of a kind. He demanded excellence and opened his wallet to pay for it. Guys like that have a certain right to those kind of expectations...they earned it.

Love him or hate him, Steinbrenner took what could easily be a boring game, and added a little excitement.

Sleep well, George...:zzz

Guitar50
July 16th, 2010, 05:20 AM
George and Billy were in a commercial for Miller Light beer (George: "Tastes great!" Billy: "Less filling", etc., back and forth until George said, "Billy, you're fired", and Billy responded "Not again, George").

Say what you may about George, but he produced winners year after year. He will be missed.

R_of_G
July 16th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Has anybody seen the original mini-series ESPN did on the 1977 Yankees called “The Bronx is Burning”?

It was very well done, particularly the relationship between Steinbrenner and Martin, played brilliantly by Oliver Platt and the amazing John Turturro. Turturro should have won an Emmy for his portrayal of Martin.

It’s probably available on NetFlix. Check it out. Lots of great music from 1977 in it as well, including a whole lot of Ramones.