PDA

View Full Version : Tig, you a Steve Cropper Fan?

kidsmoke
July 13th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Didn't want to pirate a thread, so I thought I'd call it out here.

I see that you've got Cropper plying his beloved custom Peavey Tele as a Avatar. You a fan of the man? The axe?

Cropper is not only a pioneer, dude is a total class act. In one of my alternate identities, I drive for a venue here in Chicago, and I spent 4 days with the MG's, Cropper, Dunn, and Booker T, his wife AND Daughter.

Cropper was a TOTALLY chill dude, and I actually got to put my paws on that guitar when they were setting up for a gig with Mavis Staples.

It always amazes me how these guitar gods travel with nothing but a guitar, and simply spec the amp they want in advance. He plugged in, messed around with the settings for a few, and was good to go.

Here's my iPhone pic of his guitar from that night.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/cropper.jpg

Total Icon. And honestly, hardly takes himself seriously at all. Honestly, the biggest pains in the butt are usually the superstars wives....but that's another thread altogether!

R_of_G
July 13th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Is anyone not a Steve Cropper fan? Not sure it's possible, unless you've never heard him. One of my all-time favorites. Thanks for posting that pic. Cool story. :)

kidsmoke
July 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Is anyone not a Steve Cropper fan? Not sure it's possible, unless you've never heard him.

True enough. He's been everywhere for 50 years. Unbelievable.

R_of_G
July 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM
When I try to explain to people what I love about the Telecaster, he's the first person I play them.

Tig
July 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM
How could I not be?! :thumbsup
"Pioneer and a class act", sums him up quickly. I love your story and the photo of his very cool T style guitar. Thanks for sharing it with us, you lucky %&#$! :D

His With a Little Help From My Friends is a must have for any lover of great guitar and music.

I just ordered his album Jammed Together, with Albert King and Pops Staples.

sumitomo
July 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Love his playing,I learned to cheat from him,let the bass take the lows.Sumi:D

markb
July 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Love his playing,I learned to cheat from him,let the bass take the lows.Sumi:D

That's what they're for! :)

There's just so much to learn from Cropper's playing on those old Stax/Volt records. Swing, taste, melodic comping and he never gets flashy or walks over the vocal. Brilliant :dude

Tig
July 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM
There's just so much to learn from Cropper's playing on those old Stax/Volt records. Swing, taste, melodic comping and he never gets flashy or walks over the vocal. Brilliant :dude

He's the master of getting a complete sound picture out of a song or band, and never puts his guitar ahead of that sound.

markb
July 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Exactly, Tig. It's all about the song not the player. It's a rule I try to live by and Cropper was one of the first I picked it up from.

R_of_G
July 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM

That is one of the things I most love about Cropper. His sense of melody is just perfect. He knows how to use very simple melodies that complement what the band is playing rather than drawing all the attention to him. When you combine that sense of melody with that mastery of tone, well, you get Steve Cropper.

sumitomo
July 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Yesterday I went to the library to check out some CD's to load on my I-pod,I like Joe Lewis Walker,so there was one there and as I was reading the cover,I went wow! check it out Producer Steve Cropper,It was the Preacher and the President.Sumi:D