PDA

View Full Version : Digital Tuner

Fingerhurting
July 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Boo:thumbsup
Hello one and all,Yes it's me again lol.
Just got myself a dig tuner now here's were i need the help the readout go's from 430 to 450. So what i am asking is were should i set it to any help would be grateful :dance
Thanks for lookin in
peace.

hubberjub
July 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
That refers to the note A. It should be set to 440.

markb
July 13th, 2010, 01:50 PM
A=440 is the world standard unless you play in the Berlin Philharmonic.

Eric
July 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I swear certain records I've played along to at home have musicians tuned to something other than A440 -- it's not off enough to be a semitone. Do bands do that just to cement their status as prats?

Fingerhurting
July 13th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Boo :rockya
Thank you so much for that guy's Can now set it as should be

markb
July 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I swear certain records I've played along to at home have musicians tuned to something other than A440 -- it's not off enough to be a semitone. Do bands do that just to cement their status as prats?

In the days before the tuner anything went if there was no piano. When I bought my first tuner we found out we were almost a tone sharp tuning to each other by ear for weeks on end. My ear's a lot more accurate now. Not perfect pitch but good enough.

Eric
July 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Fair point.

A large chunk of music I listen to (and what I was referring to) is 90s and later, so I imagine they had digital tuners by then.

markb
July 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Fair point.

A large chunk of music I listen to (and what I was referring to) is 90s and later, so I imagine they had digital tuners by then.

They probably did but there's also the thing that some producers would alter the speed of the track for effect. In those days you couldn't do that without changing the pitch. You can now. In fact nobody even has to sing or play in tune at all these days (see: Pop Idol et al).

Eric
July 13th, 2010, 02:09 PM
there's also the thing that some producers would alter the speed of the track for effect. In those days you couldn't do that without changing the pitch. You can now.
Oh...very interesting! I absolutely had not thought of that.

hubberjub
July 13th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Pretty much anything recorded to tape stands a chance of being off by a few cents.