PDA

View Full Version : Hello All!

woodchuk
July 13th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Hello everyone at TheFret!

I'm a 30 YO pharmacist who has been playing guitar for about 15 years. I've never gotten enough coordination to be as good as the pros, but then again, I don't have the luxury of practicing 10 hours a day! Plus, I'm a lefty, so my guitars cost twice as much as anyone else's! :mad But I have a blast playing anyway! If I could make a pharmacist's salary by playing guitar, I would, trust me! :D

Anyway, I'm a self-proclaimed music theory junkie, and I've just started a thread in the discussion area that looks like it might take off, so if anyone has any questions, fire away! Great to be here! :rockya

Eric
July 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Welcome (officially this time)! What sort of axes and amps do you have? What's your music of choice?

hubberjub
July 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Welcome. I'm sure you'll dig it here.

Rockermann
July 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Welcome!

You know... I get a little bit of pain in my back when I lift things... is there some kind of pain reliever you can recommend?? (just kiddin'!)

mjk123
July 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
...welcome!

woodchuk
July 13th, 2010, 03:02 PM
AFA axes and amps, I have:

Fender Strat (not sure about the year)
1957 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop Reissue
Ibanez RG1550M
Fender Acoustic
Taylor 914CE Acoustic Electric
Fender Cyber Twin SE
Fender Acoustasonic with DSP

Effects:

Digitech: RP1000, Harmonyman, Whammy and Timebender
Eventide: Pitchfactor, Modfactor, Timefactor
Voodoo Lab Wahzoo
Pigtronix Mothership Analog Synth - with intelligent ringmod sounds! :rockya:
Morpheus Droptune
E-Bow

Music of choice: Just about anything that is guitar-centered. I love the metal stuff and the virtuoso/Sharapnel guitarists, so I'm into Satch, Vai, Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Jason Becker, Michael Lee Firkins, Malmsteen, and the like. Also, the Big Four, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Symphony X, Evergrey, etc. But I also like James Taylor, Jim Croce, Al Di Meola, Monte Montgomery, Clapton, Page, Beck, Brian May/Queen, Deep Purple, Tesla, Black Sabbath...I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Pretty much anything goes! :rockya

Robert
July 13th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Welcome! I guess am a music theory guy too, at least to a certain extent.

Most people seem scared of music theory, so you'll be very handy to have around here!

:dude

duhvoodooman
July 13th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I get a little bit of pain in my back when I lift things... is there some kind of pain reliever you can recommend??
Yep--sell that 80W combo tube amp you've been lugging around to gigs.... :D

Welcome to TheFret, 'Chuk! :thumbsup

sunvalleylaw
July 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Welcome! Glad you joined us!

FrankenFretter
July 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Welcome, welcome! Nice taste in music. Have you listened to the new John 5 album? A little of everything on that one. I had no idea the guy was so talented. Check it out if you haven't already!

woodchuk
July 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Welcome, welcome! Nice taste in music. Have you listened to the new John 5 album? A little of everything on that one. I had no idea the guy was so talented. Check it out if you haven't already!

John 5 is in-freaking-sane! I've got all 5 of his solo albums, and every one of them are stellar IMO. How does he tie that chicken-pickin' country stuff in so well with the metal stuff? That sweep-picking hammer-on part in the middle of 27 Needles that changes out of nowhere right into a Chet Atkins groove, and jumping right back into the metal just as fast? Forget it! :rockya And anybody who is clearly a metalhead, but yet also admires players like Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler and welcomes their influence, is someone who should command respect, IMO. He is clearly an open-minded player - much more so than the average metal guitarist, it would seem. I really think Manson was holding him back - he deserves so much more recognition than that.

guitarhack
July 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Welcome to the Fret!

FrankenFretter
July 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM
John 5 is in-freaking-sane! I've got all 5 of his solo albums, and every one of them are stellar IMO. How does he tie that chicken-pickin' country stuff in so well with the metal stuff? That sweep-picking hammer-on part in the middle of 27 Needles that changes out of nowhere right into a Chet Atkins groove, and jumping right back into the metal just as fast? Forget it! :rockya And anybody who is clearly a metalhead, but yet also admires players like Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler and welcomes their influence, is someone who should command respect, IMO. He is clearly an open-minded player - much more so than the average metal guitarist, it would seem. I really think Manson was holding him back - he deserves so much more recognition than that.

The new Rob Zombie album is more guitar-oriented that his previous releases, and although it still doesn't really show John 5 as the talent he really is, he is definitely more present on this album.

Maybe we should start a John 5 thread? :rockya

Tig
July 14th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Welcome to The Fret, woodchuk. :beer: What part of the world are you in?

You're a welcome addition to the forum. I sure could use a bit more music theory, even though it is like having to eat my veggies.
You'll find many of us share a liking of the same bands and musicians as you do.

You have some nice gear. Quick question on the Digitech stuff: How close is the Whammy on the RP1000 to Whammy stomp box?

woodchuk
July 14th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Welcome to The Fret, woodchuk. :beer: What part of the world are you in?

Eastern Virginia - about an hour from Richmond.

You're a welcome addition to the forum. I sure could use a bit more music theory, even though it is like having to eat my veggies.

:lol: I appreciate the welcome, though. I admit that theory may not be exciting to everyone - I just got lucky, I think. I'm very logical by nature, so wanting to understand "why" music works just comes naturally to me, I guess. Once you know the rules, then you can know when to break them and get away with it!

How close is the Whammy on the RP1000 to Whammy stomp box?

While I wouldn't say it's an exact clone (due to the need to cram more data processing for all the other stuff into the RP1000), it's probably about 75% of the quality of the stand-alone whammy. It's not quite as smooth, but it doesn't sound like a knockoff by any means.

Brian Krashpad
July 19th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Welcome Woody!

http://freedisneyclipartsite.com/images/free_disney_clip_art_woody.jpg

mrmudcat
August 3rd, 2010, 09:52 AM
welcome