PDA

View Full Version : Whats your P.A.?

BigJD
July 14th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Ours is a mix-up of Carvin board,Yamaha MSR 400 top, Peavey SP118's self powered subs. The Yammies are self powered too.
We run everything through the board,including drums and bass. The guitars are also direct, no amps on stage.
The only amp on stage is the bass so we have some feedback from it up there and we don't over kill our monitors though we did a gig last week without it and it sounded pretty good through just the monitors.
I use a Digitech GSP1101 with a control2, the other guitarist uses a Line 6 rack mount(the newest one).
I do miss having a 4x12 blasting awat at me and I miss some of the dynamics of it, but I don't miss the weight and the volume issues.
Having everything going direct gives us alot of control over everything in the mix.
Disclaimer, I started this thread of of curiosity not to start a arguement over direct verses amps. I like them both!

mainestratman
July 14th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Glad you asked!

Right now I'm pushing 2 Peavey PV115s and 2 Peavey PV118s through my Behringer PMP 1280s powered mixer. Monitors are Peavey PV112Ms driven by my antique Peavey M2800 amp.

The Behringer is in the process of being replaced by a couple Peavey IPR1600s and the Peavey PV14 board.

By next summer, I hope to have my "outdoor gig" PA assembled.. the addition of two more 115s, two more 118s and two more IPRs.

Maybe. I'm not 100% sold on the IPRs... the damping factor is kind of suckish on them.

BigJD
July 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Glad you asked!

Right now I'm pushing 2 Peavey PV115s and 2 Peavey PV118s through my Behringer PMP 1280s powered mixer. Monitors are Peavey PV112Ms driven by my antique Peavey M2800 amp.

The Behringer is in the process of being replaced by a couple Peavey IPR1600s and the Peavey PV14 board.

By next summer, I hope to have my "outdoor gig" PA assembled.. the addition of two more 115s, two more 118s and two more IPRs.

Maybe. I'm not 100% sold on the IPRs... the damping factor is kind of suckish on them.

It's hard to beat Peavey equipment for the working man. It is easy to get parts for,and usually you can get it to sound good and do the job well as well as being dependable.
I've heard alot of good things about those new Peavey boards,and yes the IPR's still need to prove themselves. But 7 pounds for an amp!
I'm looking at getting a Presonus Studio live for my next BIG PA purchase.
Should be able to dump a few pieces of rack stuff with that board.

t_ross33
July 15th, 2010, 12:11 AM
We currently run:

Peavey PV14 mixer
Samson 2200 amp to Warfdale Pro 115's
Behringer 2500 amp to Warfdale Pro 118 subs
Some cheap 100W amp from ebay for monitors - (mix and matched Warfdale and Yorkville 115's)
Behringer DEQ2456 EQ/Comp/Limiter etc.
Behringer FBQ1502 EQ (to tweak the front end a bit, plus utilize the sub out/crossover)

Everything is run mono for simplicity sake. Not the most expensive gear on the market, but it's been working very well for us.

3 channels for Vox, Drums (electronic), Bass, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar

We were running PV215's up front but kept blowing horn drivers :thwap We tried the Warfdale 115's and 118 subs and find them to be a big improvement sound-wise.

This system is pretty flexible... we've done a bar gig with only the 115's on sticks, no instrument amps - everything direct to the PA and a couple of monitors and it sounded great (and less gear to haul). If we do anything of considerable size we'll rent some more gear to augment, or just hire a sound tech with PA (cost added to our asking price of course).

markb
July 15th, 2010, 02:01 AM
The PA I've been operating (not playing through, grrr) for the last couple of years has mostly been a Mackie desk plus enough Tapco powered speakers to do the job. i.e. two for small acts, add a couple as monitors for bands. A few mics, a few DI boxes and I've handled almost everything the job's thrown at me.

Eric
July 15th, 2010, 06:48 AM
So what do all of you guys use for DI boxes? Nice stuff like Radial and Whirlwind, cheaper stuff like Behringer, or somewhere in between?

Also, for the guys who DI the instruments, how does that usually go for you? Pedalboard out directly to a DI box?

markb
July 15th, 2010, 12:40 PM
The ones I'm using are so old all the paint's come off so I can't tell you :) The Behringer DIs are perfectly good and you won't hear me say that about any of their other kit.

BigJD
July 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM
So what do all of you guys use for DI boxes? Nice stuff like Radial and Whirlwind, cheaper stuff like Behringer, or somewhere in between?

Also, for the guys who DI the instruments, how does that usually go for you? Pedalboard out directly to a DI box?

I use behringers and a old Peavey one that goes on the speaker out of an amp.

deeaa
July 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
The ones I'm using are so old all the paint's come off so I can't tell you :) The Behringer DIs are perfectly good and you won't hear me say that about any of their other kit.

+1

deeaa
July 15th, 2010, 09:58 PM
It's hard to beat Peavey equipment for the working man. It is easy to get parts for,and usually you can get it to sound good and do the job well as well as being dependable.

+1

mainestratman
July 17th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I've officially decided against the IPRs... they run a little on the low side, wattage-wise for my stuff. I'm going to go with someone on the high side, a >400:1 damping factor at 8ohms and years of proving themselves on the road and stick with Peavey CS amps. Spendy and heavy, but... can't beat them.

BigJD
July 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I've officially decided against the IPRs... they run a little on the low side, wattage-wise for my stuff. I'm going to go with someone on the high side, a >400:1 damping factor at 8ohms and years of proving themselves on the road and stick with Peavey CS amps. Spendy and heavy, but... can't beat them.

Got like 6 CS amps,3-800s 1-1000 2-1200s. Heavy as all get out, but ultra reliable.
You can pick them up used pretty cheap these days too.