PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with your current gear?

sunvalleylaw
July 14th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Like, are you more or less satisfied with what you have right now? After playing tonight, I decided that I am. I do not "need" or even "really, really want" anything right now. I have single coiled electric covered, a humbucker guitar, a good acoustic, and that is all I really need there. It would be fun to get a CV tele, but by no means do I need one.

My Peavey C-30, and my old Fender are more than enough amps for me, so I am good there too. I am also satisfied with my pedals. I especially like my Duhvoodooman made ones, and my others work fine. My buddy who loaned my his Line 6 M9 may have trouble getting it back though. ;)

But really, I am happy with what I have. Are you guys?

I posted this on another forum, but thought I would ask here too.

t_ross33
July 14th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I am currently very happy with the gear I have...

Tele with my new Warmoth neck... oooh so sweet;
Hagstrom Ultra Swede to cover humbucker territory;
Gretch 5120 'cuz it's just so freakin' cool
MIM Strat for all it's quacky goodness;
A sweet sounding Traynor tube amp;
A cool effects processor/modeller for more sounds than I know what to do with;
A couple of acoustics and a bass to round it all out

Yeah. I'm good. For now.

LeadedEL84
July 15th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Yes. I am happier than I have ever been with my equipment. I do need to do some repairs on my Strat or upgrade it. I might want an additional amp or upgrade it at some point. I am very happy with what I have and the sounds I am getting with it. All I ever wanted was a real Fender strat,Gibson Les Paul,a nice tube amp to play them through and a few effects pedals to make it interesting. I am at that point now with a couple bonuses laying around. So any upgrades or additions from here on out will make me "more than happy" (as the late George Carlin would say).

markb
July 15th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Let's put it this way, this week I've swapped the back pickup in my strat again(this is no. 5) and just ordered a Boss DD-20 to cover all my delay needs. Probably a "no" for me then :(

OTOH, I like having a humbucker back in the strat, it's become the do it all guitar it was about 3 pickup changes ago, and I've just discovered the delights of the "hot" mode on the Ibanez TS-7. So not all bad :)

Lev
July 15th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I am happy that I can create 99% of the sounds that I want with my current gear. My head will always be turned by a 335, a Tele or a nice new piece of technology. But I really can't justify spending anymore money on gear when I have a young family, maybe in years to come GAS will strike again but at the moment I'm satisfied.

Eric
July 15th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Hmm. My stuff does what I need it to do, but is my curiosity quenched? No. I still want to try P90s for real some day, not just at GC for 5 minutes. I may some day get a bass amp and/or go with a modeler/powered floor wedge as I've envisioned before for my main rig. I'd still like to build a pedalboard for the 3 pedals I use.

So if the question is "do you like the equipment you currently have?", the answer is yes. If the question is "is your desire to try new stuff or modify your setup completely satiated?", the answer is no. In the same way that I won't say I'm ever done learning music or developing on the guitar, I am eternally curious about the possibilities with gear.

That having been said, it's more that good enough for now, and I hate letting gear get in the way of guitar, so I don't think about it too much. Things will figure themselves out; in the meantime, it's fun to play guitar. :D

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Hmm. My stuff does what I need it to do, but is my curiosity quenched? No. I still want to try P90s for real some day, not just at GC for 5 minutes. I may some day get a bass amp and/or go with a modeler/powered floor wedge as I've envisioned before for my main rig. I'd still like to build a pedalboard for the 3 pedals I use.

So if the question is "do you like the equipment you currently have?", the answer is yes. If the question is "is your desire to try new stuff or modify your setup completely satiated?", the answer is no. In the same way that I won't say I'm ever done learning music or developing on the guitar, I am eternally curious about the possibilities with gear.

That having been said, it's more that good enough for now, and I hate letting gear get in the way of guitar, so I don't think about it too much. Things will figure themselves out; in the meantime, it's fun to play guitar. :D

Good, fair answer! I am curious about having a tele too, and a jazzmaster type with p90s, and a les paul, and a les paul gold top with p90s, and a fat strat, and . . . But I do not need any of it, and can cover pretty much all I need to now with what I have. I can "Just Say No".

jCLs0jv_Efk

My curiosity will have to wait until I have more play money I don't want to spend elsewhere. (Except for the iRig that is already coming. ;-).

hubberjub
July 15th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I say that I'm content with my gear. Happy is too strong a word. At this point my next major purchase will be a new pedal steel as my current one is a student model and has not been fairing well this festival season. I'm also in the process of putting together my effects and amplifier rig for that. Lastly, I'm going to pick up a new dreadnought by the end of the summer. My Taylor is alright, but I want a D-28 or a J-45. Something along those lines. That will keep me satisfied for a few months.

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Yah, getting my Martin SPD-16TR filled my need for a D-28 like guitar. That helped get me to happy with current gear status. I think every guitarist needs a good acoustic he or she really bonds with. For me, that was a Martin rosewood sound. Others are mahogany folks, etc. But that was a big piece of the puzzle.

Robert
July 15th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I am happy with what I have. Except my studio is now too small for all my gear! :thwap

And I still need a good acoustic, and perhaps a real Les Paul one day, and also.... [insert gear here] :D

Tone2TheBone
July 15th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I'm happy with my guitars and amphs. It's my pedals I'm not sure about. Not sure whether I really need so many. I never use them hardly but I'd regret not having them when I wanted them so.....

pes_laul
July 15th, 2010, 09:05 AM
After I sold my ibanez I dont really have a quality electric. I have a fairly decent squire strat that I modded but other than that no. im good for amps, pedals, acoustics, and keyboards though

Eric
July 15th, 2010, 09:10 AM
After I sold my ibanez I dont really have a quality electric. I have a fairly decent squire strat that I modded but other than that no. im good for amps, pedals, acoustics, and keyboards though
So what're you going to get???

R_of_G
July 15th, 2010, 09:32 AM
With the recent addition of the piano, I am getting much closer to where I want to be. While I still want a Tele, I wouldn't say I "need" one, but I do feel that I need a bass and a proper acoustic guitar. I am quite happy with my amp and current electric guitars.

pes_laul
July 15th, 2010, 09:36 AM
So what're you going to get???
That I needs me some more geetars:dude

Eric
July 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
That I needs me some more geetars:dude
Indeed. I meant what guitars are you looking at getting?

pes_laul
July 15th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Indeed. I meant what guitars are you looking at getting?
I got my eyes set on a tele I think. In my band our other guitarist has an original 72 tele and that thing is just butter haha. Im not sure what else I would have in my mind, I would be nice to have a humbucker guitar again but me and my dad pretty much share guitars and he has a schecter thats quite nice.

duhvoodooman
July 15th, 2010, 09:59 AM
"Are you happy with your current gear?"

Is such a thing possible for guitar players?? :confused: :eek:

Only kidding. Actually, I'm quite pleased with my setup at this point. I've got a good assortment of nice guitars that cover all the tones and styles I like & use, a couple of great sounding tube amps, and pretty much every kind of pedal you can conceive of. Now, I just need to build that 18W Marshall clone kit I've had since last December.... :thwap

Monkus
July 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM
cork sniffer category - PRS SE - check,
everyone should have a strat category - 50th anniv Fender Lonestar strat, check,
Great Les Paul copy - Agile 3100, check,
Good steel string - Ibanez steel acoustic, check,
Decent classical nylon - Hohner slimline acoustic, check,
Good amp, Cube-60, check.
Crappy amp line6 spider III 150, for sale,
great effect rack, - M9, check.
DVM ZYS MKII - check,
chops, riffs and djents - on the way up, check

I'm content and very much so. Although i'm still gassing for a semi hollow and a Bugera V22, those are wants not needs, well, I do need a good tube amp...and....my birthday hasn't passed this year yet.. !!!

Algonquin
July 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I'm going to have to side with the 'I'm happy with what I have' camp. I haven't purchased anything substantial in well over a year now. Most of my playing is on the acoustic, and when I grab an electric it's rarely plugged in. I'm still practising a fair amount, but with recent purchases the family has made, as well as putting aside money for the kids education and our eventual retirement... there's not a lot of $$$ left over.

It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got :cool:

Iago
July 15th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Yes...you guys can envy me!! :digit

I'm kidding actually... jus' trying to fool myself...didn't work :nope

Eric
July 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Crappy amp line6 spider III 150, for sale,
Ha! I think I have that category filled too. Thankfully, my ancient Crate was free from a friend.

guitarhack
July 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I'm happy with my guitars and amps. Anything else I might want is simply because it might be unusual or unique in some way that strikes a chord with me.

Bloozcat
July 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
That's a difficult question to answer.

What was "current" when I started writing this isn't "current" now because it's now 5-minutes past "current".

So, am I happy...no was I happy, no will I be....

What is past is history...
What is future does not exist...
What is "current" is for only a fleeting moment...

So, I'll continue to chase the unattainable dream....

(I'm going to try this one on my wife...cue the Twilight Zone music...de de de de..de de de de)

MAXIFUNK
July 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I have some really great gear right now and could live with them for quit some time. HH covered, SSS covered, SS tele covered, HSS covered.
tube amp, modeling amp, portable amp covered, good bass good bass amp covered. one great multi-effect pedal covered.

wants semi-hollow body HH axe, another HH axe, HSH axe,
and a low wattage tube amp. But if I never bought another thing I could easily cover all of the sounds in my head and then some.

wants list items
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-DN500K
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-1960-50th-Annniversary-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=424038
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Series-Classic-Player-Baja-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=512765
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Tweaker-15W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=423553
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperSonic-22-22W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=430759
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Vintage-Modern-425A-or-425B-4x12-Extension-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=480773
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TSA15H-Tube-Screamer-15W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=423681

Retro Hound
July 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a semi-hollowbody. I just love the look and sound generally. But I've decided (and told my wife) I won't get anything else until I become a better player.

I'm not sure I'm completely satisfied with my amps. I usually use the VT-30, but whenever I play the Cube 15 I think "What an awesome tone." But the Cube 15 doesn't have any effects. So then, I'd need pedals if I just went with that one. But for now, I don't really need anything else and I don't know what else I would get, other than a Cube 30 or 60. Maybe I just need to try a different speaker in the VT-30.

Eric
July 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a semi-hollowbody. I just love the look and sound generally. But I've decided (and told my wife) I won't get anything else until I become a better player.
Hmm. Have you set goals for what this means? I've always said something similar to myself, but I never bothered to set metrics I could measure myself against.

Robert
July 15th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Hey, just tell your wife that you WON'T BECOME a better player unless you get that semi-hollowbody guitar! :pancake :dude :poke :D

tot_Ou_tard
July 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Yup. I have enough and I like what I have.

...greetings from the home planet.

markb
July 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Hello, Tot. Of course your gear is powered by a flux capacitor :)

ZMAN
July 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I guess you could say I am more than happy with my gear. I have just about every type of guitar covered. I think though that I have too many guitars and probably 1 or two too many amps. I find I am only playing one or two guitars and I play mainly through my DSL100. I also have a good friend that is also a collector and I can use any of his gear anytime I want. The only thing I don't have is an acoustic and I really don't want one.
I hadn't touched a guitar for over a month and I started playing again and my fingers are blistered.
Just to prove I am happy with my gear, I went on vacation for 2 weeks and never even went close to a music store. That is unbelieveable.

Katastrophe
July 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Since I don't have an amp at the moment, I'm not really happy with my gear.

It just ain't the same unplugged on an electric.

deeaa
July 15th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm quite happy...but if I won the lottery I'd buy a jmv rig at least...

MAXIFUNK
July 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I'm quite happy...but if I won the lottery I'd buy.........

TRUER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPOKEN LMAO!!

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Yup. I have enough and I like what I have.

...greetings from the home planet.

Good to hear from you tOta!

kidsmoke
July 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I have no good reason to lust after electric guitars at the moment. I've got to address pickup issues in the semi-hollow, which if done the way I want, will cost as much as decent used guitar.

My two glaring "needs" are a serious amph, and a Rosewood Dread or a Jumbo.

Amph's...i can make plenty of noise, but they are both basically variations of practice amphs, and given that I seldom play out, they more than meet my home playing "needs" (as in, the neighbors, at this point, still speak to me)
Still even at home, I'd rather be playing through a 65 Deluxe reissue...*sigh*

the other is the acoustic, I've got a mahogany Larrivee, GREAT guitar, but it's really a fingerstylists guitar, a little quiet and mellow. For strumming and singalong and booming hammerons...the things that carry in an open mic, I feel it's a bit deficient.

Wouldn't you know, just got a line on a Bourgeois built Rosewood Dread... SERIOUS guitar...SERIOUS cash....but very limited run from 15 years ago...ony 150, hand built, hand voiced by Dana.....GAS of the sort that leaves me sleepless, and dreaming of guitars when I do drift....

so I guess the answer to the question is no. :thwap

Retro Hound
July 16th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Hmm. Have you set goals for what this means? I've always said something similar to myself, but I never bothered to set metrics I could measure myself against.

ARGH! There's metrics again! I work in academics, so I hear plenty about metrics. Anyway, I guess right now I'm just thinking about getting through the two books I have and being able to change cords in less than a measure. And I'm only talking about C,G,D,E kind of stuff.

It's been hard because I'm a sucker for a bargain, and I've decided to pass them up for now. Unless a REALLY good one comes along. :thwap :thumbsup

bcdon
July 16th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hey, just tell your wife that you WON'T BECOME a better player unless you get that semi-hollowbody guitar! :pancake :dude :poke :D

Heck, just tell your wife, "Woman, I'm the man and what I say..." and start running. Fast! :running

Robert
July 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM
bcdon, have you been talking to my wife again? :mad:

bcdon
July 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM
bcdon, have you been talking to my wife again? :mad:
Nope, I can't handle the one I've got. :thwap :D

Tig
July 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Happy? Yes, for the most part. I see myself in a build period when it comes to gear, but not the usual GAS we get. I'm still working on getting just the basics in place. My good Strat, P-90 semi-hollow, acoustic, amp, and the few pedals I have are all keepers. :dance

The $50 Tele find is my least favorite guitar, mostly because the neck is too narrow and the electronics are noisy. It is fine for now, but I'd like to replace it with a nicer double humbucker guitar, which will happen some later time.

I'm beyond happy with the Egnater amp. I like to play a wide variety of styles and music, so I could really use a good multi effects unit. I need more colors in my pallet, but due to the many sub-$500 choices out there, this is the hardest gear decision to date.

So, down the road I really need a good double humbucker guitar, would like a decent Tele (CV 50's would do), and need a good multi effects.

For now, I'm happy!

M29
July 16th, 2010, 09:25 PM
bcdon, :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

deeaa
July 16th, 2010, 10:14 PM
ARGH! There's metrics again! I work in academics, so I hear plenty about metrics.

Don't get me started on measurements and units! :thumbsup

I teach languages for a living and boy those inches and such units are impossible to fathom...with metrics, all you need is just one unit, and the rest are that times ten per unit always, even accross types, like a thousand liters is a cube with one metre sides and weighs a thousand kilos if water...but those old units...there's like 6 different tons alone all weighing different...impossible to decipher without a book to check from

M29
July 16th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Units... You mean like a pair of units? :socool Wheres the birthday pictures? Never mind, I better not go there.

I am pretty content with what I have. Trying to fine tune everything now. There is always something though like maybe try a different speaker or pedal.

M

Duffy
July 17th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I think happiness is a quest rather than a static state.

Therefore some of the guitars I was really happy with in the past, led to other guitar acquisitions that often provided greater happiness.

Playing my Squier CV Lake Placid Blue with the aged white pearl pickguard, loaded with Fender Custom Shop Texas Special sss pickups was real happiness tonight, compared to a couple other guitars I compared it to. And my Michael Kelly Patriot Custom also provided some real happiness compared to some other guitars that once sounded great.

Happiness is a relative state and subject to change.

I'm happy with my gear, especially with my upgrades; and am trying to get in as much playing time as possible to develop my playing skills on this gear I'm so happy with.

It seems curious to me that some guys I know have the same guitar that they have had for thirty years and they are happy with it, so to speak. These are some mighty fine guitars I might add, but none the less, it seems like one would want to get something different, better sounding, or just get something else for a change to stimulate musical growth.

To each their own and equally to each their own pursuit of happiness, whatever that may be conceived to be.

I need to sell some of my gear that I'm not very happy with, without further hesitation.

syo
July 17th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Starting the guitar co. thing seems to have alleviated my guitarlust. I have so many guitars and guitar parts around me that I mostly gas for shelves, stands and hangers. But a vintage Gretsch seed got planted recently which will likely sprout once I've made some room.

Actually I am so busy working and practicing that I don't have time to think much about gear. Seems the more I'm playing, the less I want. Come to think of it I'm also feeling happier than usual. Could it be that the abolition of want is the key to happiness?

:whatever:

Nah...

markb
July 17th, 2010, 04:56 AM

I teach languages for a living and boy those inches and such units are impossible to fathom...with metrics, all you need is just one unit, and the rest are that times ten per unit always, even accross types, like a thousand liters is a cube with one metre sides and weighs a thousand kilos if water...but those old units...there's like 6 different tons alone all weighing different...impossible to decipher without a book to check from

As one from a scientific background I've been trying to explain this to British and American people like, forever! It's so nice to finally live in a country that is actually metric rather than just officially.

I was made to recite "a litre of water is a pint and three quarter(s)" at school. Try it with a cockney accent. Hilarious! :)

PS: Americans, please ignore this mnemonic because your pints are the wrong size :)

Retro Hound
July 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Sorry about the confusion here, but the "metrics" Eric and I are performance measures, not the Metric System of physical measurement. And yes, the Metric System makes so much sense, I wish we would start using it.

Robert, telling my wife that I need a semi-hollow to improve is a great idea!

sunvalleylaw
July 17th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Ok, this thread is about satisfaction with your guitar gear, not measurements. But even so, while I get how the metric system makes sense, I just enjoy ordering a Pint, or better yet, an Imperial Pint much more than something like a liter of Guinness. :beer: BTW, while I am generally satisfied with the beer that has been in my fridge, I am GASing for some replacement units.

Eric
July 17th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Ok, this thread is about satisfaction with your guitar gear, not measurements. But even so, while I get how the metric system makes sense, I just enjoy ordering a Pint, or better yet, an Imperial Pint much more than something like a liter of Guinness. :beer: BTW, while I am generally satisfied with the beer that has been in my fridge, I am GASing for some replacement units.
While we're diverging anyway...

I had a party a few weeks ago with 50+ people, and bought 4 cases of beer for it. At the end of the night, a total of 25 beers had been drunk. Only 25 beers!!

So we got to take home 3 cases of mixed beers, which brings the total in the basement to something like 7 cases of beer. Wowie. I guess that's what you get for not being able to buy 6-packs in PA...

MAXIFUNK
July 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM
While we're diverging anyway...

I had a party a few weeks ago with 50+ people, and bought 4 cases of beer for it. At the end of the night, a total of 25 beers had been drunk. Only 25 beers!!

So we got to take home 3 cases of mixed beers, which brings the total in the basement to something like 7 cases of beer. Wowie. I guess that's what you get for not being able to buy 6-packs in PA...

The BEER distributor is your friend.

markb
July 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM
...I had a party a few weeks ago with 50+ people, and bought 4 cases of beer for it. At the end of the night, a total of 25 beers had been drunk. Only 25 beers!!...

50+ people, 25 beers drunk. You call that a party? :D

mainestratman
July 17th, 2010, 04:47 PM
VERY.

Although, the local shop has a gorgeous Ibanez electric/acoustic 12 string that needs to find its way here... after I finish filling out the PA...

Nickolas Cook
July 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
As a beginner, I'm pretty happy with my low end equipment for now. I have a Fender Bullet Strat, a Danelectro 56 U1 reissue with single pickup, semi-hollow body, and an Lucero LC100 Classical Guitar. I have an Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Short Scale Bass and a couple of keyboards: Yamaha and a Korg Microkorg Vocoder. And various recording programs and mics and amps and mixers, etc., etc.
In the last year, I've spent about $1,500.00. Not a lot in comparison to some musicians, but not too bad for a guy who is just basically learning to play again and who does a little home recording, here and there.

6stringdrug
July 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM
everyday i wish for the lotto gods to rain money on me!!!!!!

I am constantly looking for another piece to the sordid puzzle that is tone!
that being said, the rig i play with now is keeping a smile on my face!

2 bands, 2 rigs. #1, 2006 mim strat->boss tu2->morley bad horsie 2(jurys still out on this one)->ibanez ts9->boss bf2->fender super champ xd
#2, 2005 gibson LP studio->boss tu2->ibanez ts9->vox v847->ibanez t808->boss bf2->fender super champ xd

thats for gigs, at home and studio/practice ive got at least fifty other pedals i toy withfor tone but thats my rig.

id love to get some vintage fender amp or a bluesbreaker. had an orange, was not blown away (cept for the price). my XD does just about everything well, nothing exceptional, just well, and small unit. i like simplicity onstage.

and of course, i want every axe i can grab, but the 2 i got suit me for now( untill that rain im waiting for happens)

i may sound all over the place here but ask my exes, thats just me. in my head it all sorts out. :pancake

deeaa
July 18th, 2010, 10:30 PM
50+ people, 25 beers drunk. You call that a party? :D

My circle of acquaintances, I'd need about 20 cases for 50 people and I'd run out of beer. Hell, I've bought three cases just for my personal use last week only, although I've also quite a few left in the fridge. But in the summertime...I can easily gulp down at least a sixpack in the daytime while watching the kids on the beach and another in the afternoon/evening while watching telly with the wife. Not enough to get drunk, but keep a nice warm buzz going & sleep like a baby.

Come to think of it, I suppose I spend much more on beer yearly than gear. Must be something like 1500 or more at least.

syo
July 18th, 2010, 10:41 PM
My circle of acquaintances, I'd need about 20 cases for 50 people and I'd run out of beer. Hell, I've bought three cases just for my personal use last week only, although I've also quite a few left in the fridge. But in the summertime...I can easily gulp down at least a sixpack in the daytime while watching the kids on the beach and another in the afternoon/evening while watching telly with the wife. Not enough to get drunk, but keep a nice warm buzz going & sleep like a baby.

Come to think of it, I suppose I spend much more on beer yearly than gear. Must be something like 1500 or more at least.

Just read today that, according to a Gallup poll, out of 155 countries Finland is the second happiest country. http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-35010143
Perhaps their typical beer consumption (exemplified by our good man Dee) has something to do with it?

Happy in beer, happy in gear... :beer: :R

deeaa
July 18th, 2010, 11:13 PM
LO yeah, although I suppose it's much more to do with the mindset of people to be content with less; a typically lutheran type, quite happy with just a job and a steady income & safety and people are happy as clams. Like myself...I guess very few people really have dreams of making tons of money or 'succeeding', they just dream of a red cabin in the country where they can just live easy and drink beer, no fame or fortune necessary :-) quite a striking difference to anglo-saxon world where even kids must constantly compete even in school sports etc. and thrive and long for success and wealth much much more, IMO. I believe that makes for less happiness, to have to strive towards something at all times.

Duffy
July 19th, 2010, 12:46 AM
You Deeaa,

It's like a cultural thing, happiness. In the USA we do have competition and aspiration and a lot of stress and also a lot of drinking and drugs; but people still long for a red cabin in the woods to just relax and let it all go by.

That's a mighty lot of beer dude, I know, I drank way more than my share back in my drinking days. Had a lot of fun too. But then, well that's another story for a different place in space and time.

Good luck dude, and stay happy.

I'm retired so I don't have to have my nose to the grinding stone, but I had a lot of pressure on me during my working days and my school years.

I definitely desire to improve my playing skills and acquire equipment that I think is better and better. It's like and endless quest, like an aspiration; a road to a goal that is ellusive.

What happened to the Viking quest to conquer? Has that genetically dissipated or is Finland not part of the Viking vibe? I thought Vikings were real contenders, very contentious and motivated to attain the unimaginable.

What happened to that vibe?

deeaa
July 19th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Yeah, Finns aren't really Viking breed, only mixed in a little. That'd be more like Norwegians etc. We're more Slavic in nature and origin, quiet and melancholic, although often blonde and similar in appearance to Scandinavians. But at least the legends speak of Finns being, despite quiet and not so competitive, very relentless and unyielding when need arises; death before dishonor and I'll plow that f**ng field today or die doing it, like.

In European wars already in the 1600's the Finnish regiments were feared greatly, fighting in the Swedish army, which at the time was arguably the biggest superpower in Europe - Finland was a part of Sweden in those days. Whom we had a war with too at some point, like most all countries, LOL. And of course in the 2nd WW when a tiny Finnish army with not much else than rifles fought and held against a tenfold size Russian war machine with tanks and all, and kept the independence. Coincidentally that led to Finland in the 2nd WW fighting both with and against both Russia and Germany, and even were in war with England who however provided us military support at around the same time. Go figure. USA was by the way the only allied country who refused to start a war with Finland in those days - all the others we argued with back and forth, LOL. But that's typically Finnish I guess.

I don't know if there's much of that left in a modern Finn, but at least it's seen as a cultural heritage for us to never surrender. But still, it's not very common to praise competition either, except in hockey etc. against Sweden, th e dear neighbor whom Finns always both respect and envy and love and hate all at the same time, and we all learn the Swedish language as well :-)

Bloozcat
July 19th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Hmmmmmm....

Four pages on this thread and we haven't heard so much as a peep from our reigning champion of conspicuous consumption...Spudman...! :confused:

Tig
July 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Hmmmmmm....

Four pages on this thread and we haven't heard so much as a peep from our reigning champion of conspicuous consumption...Spudman...! :confused:

4 pages?? Wow, I only show 2 pages.
You guys might want to go to your Edit Options page
(http://www.thefret.net/profile.php?do=editoptions)

Scroll down to Thread Display Options section and under the Number of Posts to Show Per Page section's drop down, select "Show 40 Posts Per Page". It's much easier to navigate.

You may also want to play around with a few other options...
YMMV

sunvalleylaw
July 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM
LOL!! Two notes, first, I find it very entertaining that my thread has been turned at least partially into a beer thread. Party on (responsibly) guys! Second, Spud is just returning from a trip. Maybe he will pop into this thread at some point. But he is always looking. always.

LeadedEL84
July 19th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah, Finns aren't really Viking breed, only mixed in a little. That'd be more like Norwegians etc. We're more Slavic in nature and origin, quiet and melancholic, although often blonde and similar in appearance to Scandinavians. But at least the legends speak of Finns being, despite quiet and not so competitive, very relentless and unyielding when need arises; death before dishonor and I'll plow that f**ng field today or die doing it, like.

In European wars already in the 1600's the Finnish regiments were feared greatly, fighting in the Swedish army, which at the time was arguably the biggest superpower in Europe - Finland was a part of Sweden in those days. Whom we had a war with too at some point, like most all countries, LOL. And of course in the 2nd WW when a tiny Finnish army with not much else than rifles fought and held against a tenfold size Russian war machine with tanks and all, and kept the independence. Coincidentally that led to Finland in the 2nd WW fighting both with and against both Russia and Germany, and even were in war with England who however provided us military support at around the same time. Go figure. USA was by the way the only allied country who refused to start a war with Finland in those days - all the others we argued with back and forth, LOL. But that's typically Finnish I guess.

I don't know if there's much of that left in a modern Finn, but at least it's seen as a cultural heritage for us to never surrender. But still, it's not very common to praise competition either, except in hockey etc. against Sweden, th e dear neighbor whom Finns always both respect and envy and love and hate all at the same time, and we all learn the Swedish language as well :-)
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/winter_war_1939.htm
The Finns were certainly tenacious fighters against Russia back in WW2. The "Winter War" was epic. They fought like vikings when they held off Mother Russia from occupying their little peice of land in that region. Although I have forgotten alot of the details since I haven't thought about it in a long time, I used to have an interest in Finnish history. Back in my collector days I had some Finnish weapons from WW2 era. Still have a near mint Tikka arsonal M1891 that was made in Finland in the 1930s.

What was this thread about again? Oh....yes.....I am very happy with my equipment.....especially my Tikka and Seiko :rockya

sunvalleylaw
July 19th, 2010, 02:36 PM
At least I am a good portion Norwegian, and Norwegians get mentioned in deeaa's post a few back. LOL!

oldguy
July 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I'm happy with my current gear. Of course, I'm buying new things all the time and working so much I haven't had time to post them here, or take pics, or make clips, so go figure..........
On the other hand, I'm not Finnish, I do have a Ceriatone, no guitars made of stone or metal, but I like beer, so go figure......:thumbsup

LeadedEL84
July 19th, 2010, 09:27 PM
:beer:
I'm happy with my current gear. Of course, I'm buying new things all the time and working so much I haven't had time to post them here, or take pics, or make clips, so go figure..........
On the other hand, I'm not Finnish, I do have a Ceriatone, no guitars made of stone or metal, but I like beer, so go figure......:thumbsup
Music is a universal language. Beer is a great uniter of men worldwide. I think I have made more friends outside of my country due to these two subjects more than any other. No contest. Once when I was drinking beer with my friend from Brazil,he started to hand me another beer and asked "Are you Finish?" I said "No,on my mothers side I am Scottish and English,on my dads side they were French and maybe German,and, yes I'll have another beer".

I am most happy with my gear when I'm drinking beer.:beer:

deeaa
July 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/winter_war_1939.htmBack in my collector days I had some Finnish weapons from WW2 era. Still have a near mint Tikka arsonal M1891 that was made in Finland in the 1930s.

Hey, that's interesting...one of these? http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl03-e.htm

I'm no collector but my elk hunting rifle was also originally a 7.62 Mosin-Nagant M1891 built here out of spare parts after the war...used to be my grandads and converted to hunting rifle in the 70's, I don't know if any part is original any more though. They are very plentiful here; Tikka assembled a whole lot of them from spare parts for and after the war and you can still buy a lot of parts from even thrift stores here. It's a tad harder to find a numbers-matching original Mosin or its Finnish version, but those too are still available...my father-in-law has a 1917 made one and a friend has a couple from the 30's. If yours is all original it may rise in value nicely some day.

Both of mine and wife's granddads were in the war and one grandma too, and I have also this old 6.35 cal pocket semiauto pistol...cheap li'l thing made in belgium, really tiny and simple, but it was intended for fighter pilots to have, supposedly for suicide purpose (it won't hit a barn door from six feet, barrel is literally well under an inch long, no real rifles either)...my grandad has made the handle plates from aircraft aluminum and it has 1939-1940 and the old Finnish air force emblem engraved by hand. Too bad it was very poorly stored for many years and the plating is al but gone and it looks just sad now. And I'm hoping to get my other granddad's 'Lahti' pistol ( a Luger copy basically) from my uncle some day.

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/PISTOLS1.htm

LeadedEL84
July 19th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Hey, that's interesting...one of these? http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl03-e.htm

I'm no collector but my elk hunting rifle was also originally a 7.62 Mosin-Nagant M1891 built here out of spare parts after the war...used to be my grandads and converted to hunting rifle in the 70's, I don't know if any part is original any more though. They are very plentiful here; Tikka assembled a whole lot of them from spare parts for and after the war and you can still buy a lot of parts from even thrift stores here. It's a tad harder to find a numbers-matching original Mosin or its Finnish version, but those too are still available...my father-in-law has a 1917 made one and a friend has a couple from the 30's. If yours is all original it may rise in value nicely some day.

Both of mine and wife's granddads were in the war and one grandma too, and I have also this old 6.35 cal pocket semiauto pistol...cheap li'l thing made in belgium, really tiny and simple, but it was intended for fighter pilots to have, supposedly for suicide purpose (it won't hit a barn door from six feet, barrel is literally well under an inch long, no real rifles either)...my grandad has made the handle plates from aircraft aluminum and it has 1939-1940 and the old Finnish air force emblem engraved by hand. Too bad it was very poorly stored for many years and the plating is al but gone and it looks just sad now. And I'm hoping to get my other granddad's 'Lahti' pistol ( a Luger copy basically) from my uncle some day.

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/PISTOLS1.htm

Yep! One of those :) Mine is all numbers matching and dated 1938 I believe. The Tikka arsonal built this one on an older Hex shaped reciever and of course was scrubbed and restamped. It is very nice and a great shooter. It has already appreciated in value since I bought it. We used to be able to get them here fairly cheap but now the nice ones are getting hard to find and have at least doubled in price in the last 10 years. Finnish weapons have a cult following with collectors in the USA. I used to have two others that were called M39s. I don't believe they were ever refered to with that name in your country. I think it is an American importers designation. Here is some info and a picture: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM39.htm
Mine were from the Seiko and VKT arsenals.
I used to have a large collection of Mosin rifles in mostly every model and configuration. Most were Russian but the Finns were among the nicest. Unfortunately I had to thin out the collection a few years ago due to space and money concerns. I saved only my best and favorites. I still have the Tikka,a Russian model 1891 from the Sestroryetsk arsenal (very very old rifle ) and a Russian 91/30 that was rebuilt from a former dragoon rifle which was built from an old hex reciever M1891. It still retains it's Peter the Great stamp on the reciever which is rare because the Bulsheviks peened them out when they took over. I have been tracing the history of this one for years and it might be a rifle captured by the Finns during the "Winter War". It has many strange and some conflicting markings. Strangly it was imported to the USA from Serbia. It has been around and has a mysterious history. This is a perfect example of why I became hooked on collecting them. The history fascinates me.
If I'm ever lucky enough to visit Europe I will have to stop by Dee's house and fire off some 7.62x54R and drink a few beers!
Since we have thoroughly hi jacked this thread I have to remind you that I am STILL happy with my music equipment. LOL

deeaa
July 19th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Yep! One of those :) Mine is all numbers matching and dated 1938 I believe. The Tikka arsonal built this one on an older Hex shaped reciever and of course was scrubbed and restamped. It is very nice and a great shooter. It has already appreciated in value since I bought it. We used to be able to get them here fairly cheap but now the nice ones are getting hard to find and have at least doubled in price in the last 10 years. Finnish weapons have a cult following with collectors in the USA. I used to have two others that were called M39s. I don't believe they were ever refered to with that name in your country. I think it is an American importers designation. Here is some info and a picture: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM39.htm

Yes, M39 name isn't used but it's known. My mosin has the M39 barrel, easily distinguished by the 'dog ear' flanges in front sight, the rifle is best known as 'Pystykorva', i.e. 'Pointy ear' after a favorite breed of dog here. The rifle is indeed a mismatch of parts now, 1944 stamped receiver, hexagonal shape and marked both Finnish army and some weird russian stamps too...probably all parts are old spare parts re-stamped and many changed even after that first build.

Mine were from the Seiko and VKT arsenals.
I used to have a large collection of Mosin rifles in mostly every model and configuration. Most were Russian but the Finns were among the nicest. Unfortunately I had to thin out the collection a few years ago due to space and money concerns. I saved only my best and favorites. I still have the Tikka,a Russian model 1891 from the Sestroryetsk arsenal (very very old rifle ) and a Russian 91/30 that was rebuilt from a former dragoon rifle which was built from an old hex reciever M1891. It still retains it's Peter the Great stamp on the reciever which is rare because the Bulsheviks peened them out when they took over. I have been tracing the history of this one for years and it might be a rifle captured by the Finns during the "Winter War". It has many strange and some conflicting markings. Strangly it was imported to the USA from Serbia. It has been around and has a mysterious history. This is a perfect example of why I became hooked on collecting them. The history fascinates me.
If I'm ever lucky enough to visit Europe I will have to stop by Dee's house and fire off some 7.62x54R and drink a few beers!
Since we have thoroughly hi jacked this thread I have to remind you that I am STILL happy with my music equipment. LOL

LOL yeah indeed! And it can be nigh impossible to trace those rifles...like mine too has all these weird markings and stamps. Might well be a very old receiver spare was used, mated with a M39 newer barrel, and all the other parts from spares as well. Seems to me every other hunter has at least one of these rifles more or less built from assorted parts, old and new. One reason was that many of the guns were brought home from the war, and later rebuilt and registered as elk rifles...sometimes kind of, well, wanted to not let the police know of all the rifles so one old war rifle might suddenly turn into three with spare parts and parts spread accross them all...and the officials couldn't keep track with how many guns who had, with very confusing markings on the parts etc...

My granddad also had a Detgjarev light machinegun in the attic but that we dispatched to the police when he died...

But yep, if you ever wander round here I can take you to see my friend who has lots of old Finnish guns, like the PPSH and the finnish counterpart submachineguns, Lahti-Saloranta light MG, all kinds of stuff :-)

...and then back to the gear issue...:-)

LeadedEL84
July 20th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Yes, M39 name isn't used but it's known. My mosin has the M39 barrel, easily distinguished by the 'dog ear' flanges in front sight, the rifle is best known as 'Pystykorva', i.e. 'Pointy ear' after a favorite breed of dog here. The rifle is indeed a mismatch of parts now, 1944 stamped receiver, hexagonal shape and marked both Finnish army and some weird russian stamps too...probably all parts are old spare parts re-stamped and many changed even after that first build.

LOL yeah indeed! And it can be nigh impossible to trace those rifles...like mine too has all these weird markings and stamps. Might well be a very old receiver spare was used, mated with a M39 newer barrel, and all the other parts from spares as well. Seems to me every other hunter has at least one of these rifles more or less built from assorted parts, old and new. One reason was that many of the guns were brought home from the war, and later rebuilt and registered as elk rifles...sometimes kind of, well, wanted to not let the police know of all the rifles so one old war rifle might suddenly turn into three with spare parts and parts spread accross them all...and the officials couldn't keep track with how many guns who had, with very confusing markings on the parts etc...

My granddad also had a Detgjarev light machinegun in the attic but that we dispatched to the police when he died...

But yep, if you ever wander round here I can take you to see my friend who has lots of old Finnish guns, like the PPSH and the finnish counterpart submachineguns, Lahti-Saloranta light MG, all kinds of stuff :-)

...and then back to the gear issue...:-)
That's too much! I will have to direct you over to one of the gun collector sites one of these days so I can thoroughly pick your brain on Finnish Mosins. I am familiar with the "dog ear" term. The M39s had the heavier barrel and were very well designed. Both mine were tack drivers (very accurate). The PPSH and Lahti are prized by the few who have them here. It's so cool to hear these stories from an actual Finn instead reading about it in a book or a website. I wish I could have talked to you about 8 or 10 years ago when i was really into it all. I am looking back and recalling from memory now. BTW- my Sestroryetsk M1891 is dated 1918. I just remembered.
And if I ever make it over there someday we will indeed have to play some guitars,shoot some weapons,drink some beer,and then write a song about it all. LOL

Spudman
July 20th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'm completely happy...almost. How could I not be really with all the stuff I've acquired over the years? 2 more guitars would probably seal the deal on the satisfied front. An acoustic that I love and one more high end electric. Otherwise, thanks to the M13 and M9 I no longer crave any effects. I've also got an adequate selection of gigable amphs. No worries at my house. Now I can get serious about my NASCAR collectible figurine set.:messedup:

I've been out of town for a week away from a computer.

Bloozcat
July 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I'm completely happy...almost. How could I not be really with all the stuff I've acquired over the years? 2 more guitars would probably seal the deal on the satisfied front. An acoustic that I love and one more high end electric. Otherwise, thanks to the M13 and M9 I no longer crave any effects. I've also got an adequate selection of gigable amphs. No worries at my house. Now I can get serious about my NASCAR collectible figurine set.:messedup:

I've been out of town for a week away from a computer.

I was beginning to wonder.....;)

marnold
July 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Actually I'm in a really good space now that I've got a delay. I've glanced at a couple of guitars, but I've always wished that they were somehow more like my Dinky. Good thing too since I've got no extra cash to even consider putting towards a purchase.