PDA

View Full Version : Mom and Pop Shop Closing

otaypanky
July 15th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I saw a sad post on my local Craigslist this morning. My friend Randy runs a great little shop and after 15 years of taking care of musicians around here just can't hang on any longer. This guy was even open on Sundays trying to hang in there and keep from closing his doors. They offered lessons, had some new gear, lots of pre-owned, and ran a good website featuring the used gear. It's not like anybody was lazy or asleep at the switch. This is one hard working fellow and a truly nice guy ~
I thought I would post a link here to his website. It has a pretty good list of all of his used gear, from amps to pedals to PA's and guitars. I would bet Randy would be willing to ship gear if anyone is interested in something they see ~~~
Tell him Bob from Brookwood Leather sent you
http://www.triplerguitar.com/

Tig
July 15th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I hate to see that. I always go to the mom and pop shops first and only to GC if necessary, for instance.

Eric
July 15th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I wish I had a mom and pop store anywhere around here. Most local stores I've been to here are filled with either people who yell at you if you don't know what you want instantly, or who act like they're doing you a favor by being there and are ultra-condescending. It makes me cringe that Guitar Center seems like the best option.

Sorry to hear about this, OP.

pes_laul
July 15th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Call me a youngun but I dont even know what a mom and pop shop is....ive heard of them but I dont know what they are

sumitomo
July 15th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hey Pes,here's an idea of a Mom and Pop store,let's say you have a heart desire to have a music store to take care of all your music friends needs and after 15yrs of business and along comes the internet and steals your hopes and dreams.Sumi:D

Tig
July 15th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Call me a youngun but I dont even know what a mom and pop shop is....ive heard of them but I dont know what they are

Usually a family owned single location store that competes with Walmart/Best Buy/eBay/Guitar Center, depending on the store's type of business.

pes_laul
July 15th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hey Pes,here's an idea of a Mom and Pop store,let's say you have a heart desire to have a music store to take care of all your music friends needs and after 15yrs of business and along comes the internet and steals your hopes and dreams.Sumi:D
Well that doesnt sound very pleasant

kiteman
July 16th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Mom and pop stores really have a hard time competing against the chain stores. They're the only stores that carries the atmosphere and comradeship that I truly loved. I used to hang out at one in the south side, the only one for the south side.

All that changed. This shop is hurting and they raised their prices to remain in business. I don't see how that's going to work as I can't see myself spend any more money in there where it's (a lot) cheaper to buy online. Also the atmosphere is gone.

They also changed their format to authorized Fender dealers and the store carried mostly Fender products. Really nothing to browse anymore. The last thing I bought was the Fender Rumble 25 bass amp.I paid $269 for it and later I looked it up online and it was selling for $190. I didn't know what to say after that.

wingsdad
July 16th, 2010, 08:08 AM
That's sad news, and a sign of the times at-hand, if not to come for at least a couple of more years.

I'm fortunate to live in an oasis about 90 minutes' drive north of LA ... the only GC's and such are at least 35 miles to the South, and then, they're in such abundance they've wiped out any mom n' pops in their trading area.

They won't come up this way, and even the 2 local Best Buys don't have that giant's musical instrument dept.

But we do have 3 mom n' pops, each with their own niche. I've done occasional significant business with 2 of them, but one of them has been my steady favorite since 1993. I've bought, sold, traded, consigned and even pitched in helping in sales and tech on my dime.

They're hanging tough, but as public schools continue to trim their budgets and reduce or eliminate music programs, one of their key revenue streams -- instrument rentals -- dwindles.

Customers here are treated like family. And that's probably why they'll survive this rocky economic road in the long haul.

This is their website...homey and informal:

Roll Over Beethoven's (http://www.rolloverbeethovens.com/About_Us.html)

Like another bygone era phenomenon, the small town barbershop, regulars stop in to this, their Local GAS Station, pull a cup of joe and hang out here to bs or wait for their kids to wrap up their weekly lesson:

Book Room (http://www.rolloverbeethovens.com/Books___Sheet_Music.html)

GuitarAcademy
July 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM
As a Music Store owner myself, I definitely am concerned with the future of the Mom and Pop stores. I see more and more articles like this one.

GA

otaypanky
July 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Gibson just started a new forum and Henry J is active on it. I signed up yesterday. One of the first posts I read directed to him was about how Gibson has squeezed out the little guys, the ones that helped them become what they are. He also said how dangerous it might be for Gibson if some of the big box online retailers go belly up. Then who do they have? It will be interesting to see if Gibson changes their approach to marketing after Henry gets a whiff of what's cooking from his customer base ~