PDA

View Full Version : help pleaseee :D

Tejas
July 15th, 2010, 09:59 AM
okay so im newww to this shizz.. basically im 19 year old girl.. ive had a guitar for about 5 years as i got one for my 14th birthday and maybe picked it up twice.

now im eager to learn it.. ive got 3 guitars- ive got a strat and an ibanez acoustic.. and a random guitar i got free with a car i bought =/ LOL.. anyways.. ive been playing the acoustic and ive played it for about 2 days nearly solid-- now ive been expecting my fingers to hurt- but they are BADDD i mean im finding it hard to type and do daily things lol.. is this normal?

also another question is- somehow i broke the jack plug in thing on my acoustic so it actually is just a wooden hole with the thing moving around inside if you shake it- is this expensive to get fixed?? it just needs to be fed thru with like a washer and a screw is what it looks like- but to be honest i have no idea what im talking about.

ive purchased a book that teaches me chords and then rhythm patterns- later on going to playing individual strings and learning tabulature- and finally combining all- is this a wise approach to get the most out of learning?? it seems like a good book and i have a cd whcih i play along to. it seems to be working for me- what are your thoughts? thanks in advance :)

OH- one more question..

you know on tabulature its got like individual strings to play and then a chord at the top- what does this mean?? thanks :)

guitarhack
July 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hi Tejas. Yes it is normal for the fingers to hurt when first learning to play. Once your fingers get a little stronger and you develop callouses on your fingertips, they won't be sore.

The jack should be an easy and inexpensive (if not free) fix for any music store.

Sounds like you have a good plan for learning. Start with the basics. Our friend Robert here has some good video lessons, too.

The chord symbol on your tablature is there to let you know that the notes you're playing sound like they are part of that chord.

Welcome to the Fret, btw. Good luck to you.

Eric
July 15th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hi Tejas,

Welcome to the forum. Many questions! Let me see what I can help with...

okay so im newww to this shizz.. basically im 19 year old girl.. ive had a guitar for about 5 years as i got one for my 14th birthday and maybe picked it up twice.

now im eager to learn it.. ive got 3 guitars- ive got a strat and an ibanez acoustic.. and a random guitar i got free with a car i bought =/ LOL.. anyways.. ive been playing the acoustic and ive played it for about 2 days nearly solid-- now ive been expecting my fingers to hurt- but they are BADDD i mean im finding it hard to type and do daily things lol.. is this normal?
Well, I guess so. I know my fingers felt like the ends were bruised when I first started playing. I think my tolerance for pain may have been less than yours, so I probably didn't work my fingers as hard as you may have over the last couple of days. BUT...it will get better.

also another question is- somehow i broke the jack plug in thing on my acoustic so it actually is just a wooden hole with the thing moving around inside if you shake it- is this expensive to get fixed?? it just needs to be fed thru with like a washer and a screw is what it looks like- but to be honest i have no idea what im talking about.
Is it an acoustic-electric or is this just the strap-button thing on the bottom of the guitar? Either way, it's hopefully not too bad, but you will probably need to take the strings off to get your hand inside the guitar if you plan to fix it yourself. A picture might go a long way toward help people here know what to tell you.

ive purchased a book that teaches me chords and then rhythm patterns- later on going to playing individual strings and learning tabulature- and finally combining all- is this a wise approach to get the most out of learning?? it seems like a good book and i have a cd whcih i play along to. it seems to be working for me- what are your thoughts? thanks in advance :)
That's a decent approach for now. Eventually you will want to learn note positions on the fretboard and scales and root-note patterns (i.e. where they are in relation to each other), but for now just find a song or 3 that makes you want to play and work on those. It has to be fun if you're going to continue to do it! I'd say your book is a decent guide, but don't be afraid to put it away and work on something more fun if you get bored. Your worst enemy in learning isn't learning the wrong thing -- it's quitting altogether because it's not enjoyable. My own opinion, anyway.

OH- one more question..

you know on tabulature its got like individual strings to play and then a chord at the top- what does this mean?? thanks :)
I think so, yeah. If I'm guess right at what you're looking at, the chord would indicate what should be played in the background while you're playing that individual part (e.g. the backing chords that a guitar solo plays over).

Hope all of that helps!

Robert
July 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Welcome Tejas! Lots of knowledgeable people here to give a helping hand.

sumitomo
July 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Girl get on youtube punch in the type of music you want to learn,example Rock guitar lessons and have at it.You will learn alot here as well,but I can't believe all the good free lessons on youtube.Keep at it and give your fingers a break so they heal and don't feel so sore that you'll give up.Sumi:D

Tejas
July 16th, 2010, 01:55 AM
wow- was not expecting so much help lol thanks so much!

eric- its an acoustic-electric i suppose as you can plug it into an amp? its definatley not the strap thing. i wouldnt fix it myself id take it to a shop- ill upload a pic later to show you. i got my electric out last night and the same thing has happened- i was thinking they've been in storage for awhile and ive moved from america to england so maybe it happened then it sort of just wriggled out.. not sure =/

one more thing lol sorry - you know when you play root note or bass note of a chord- say D.. im having trouble finding the fourth string at first without hitting another string first- is this normal and will it get better with time and practice?

thanks for all your help guys :)

GuitarAcademy
July 16th, 2010, 09:11 AM
wow- was not expecting so much help lol thanks so much!

eric- its an acoustic-electric i suppose as you can plug it into an amp? its definatley not the strap thing. i wouldnt fix it myself id take it to a shop- ill upload a pic later to show you. i got my electric out last night and the same thing has happened- i was thinking they've been in storage for awhile and ive moved from america to england so maybe it happened then it sort of just wriggled out.. not sure =/

one more thing lol sorry - you know when you play root note or bass note of a chord- say D.. im having trouble finding the fourth string at first without hitting another string first- is this normal and will it get better with time and practice?

thanks for all your help guys :)

Are you trying to be a self-taught guitarist? If so, can you tell us why?

GA

gregsguitars
July 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Try a lighter string gauge at first and progress up in gauges as you develop the fingertip callouses.