PDA

View Full Version : In The Neck

Fingerhurting
July 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Boo:rockya
As you know am new to this plank of wood and six strings:socool ,But what i am trying to find out is, may sound daft but how do you hold the thing as regards your left hand ie top of thumb,in the hollow of hand see what i mean.
My head is begining to hurt:cry:
so any help will be a help:dude
Thanks for your help
peace:thumbsup

deeaa
July 15th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I suppose each has their own style, but I keep my thumb very close to the fretboard i.e. topside of the neck. This way the palm, or at least the arc feom thumb end to forefinger end can rest on the neck wood and not tire for a lot of time.1st and 2nd fingers play low e and a strings, and the rest three play riffs and the higher strings almost always without having to change positions.

Now if I only play open e, a, d etc. chords for a while I'll move my thumb well over the fretboard and totally grip the neck, again because that allows the fingers to rest in a natural position.

Conversely, if I play high up the neck, or leads which use lower strings too, I'll allow the thumb to slide to the middle of the neck back for optimal access for all five strings. But this 'lead player' position is very tiring for the hand, especially if you don't play sitting or at least hold the guitar high up.

But, like 80% of the time my thumb rests on the upmost quadrant of the neck back...that is why I like V necks, they let the thumb very close to strings, like thin necks do, but too thin lead necks give no palm support and are tiring. U necks are also bad, but normal C is alright 4 me.

Fingerhurting
July 16th, 2010, 04:44 AM
:thumbsup :thumbsup
Thank you so much for your help
Appreciated:applause

ZMAN
July 16th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Most guitar teachers recommend that your thumb be on the back of the neck. I had one that used to tap me on the thumb with a pointer. It doesn't feel comfortable but it will improve your technique as your fingers get stronger. I find it more comfortable and my style of blues with a lot of finger vibrato and bending, I need my thumb higher on the neck close to the board. Also the thickness of the neck makes a difference.

deeaa
July 16th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Yes back of the neck is best for playing lead&all but in real life hard work of playing, a bit higher is indeed better for bends and to fight finger fatigue.

GuitarAcademy
July 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I have a lot of questions

There are a lot of things that can be happening. As a teacher I know there is a certain amount of time that it takes a new person to find their "fit" to the guitar. I would not offer any advice until I know what you are trying to play and practicing. It could be that you are starting too high up the mountain before you've built an adequate fit/stabilization to your strength and hand posture to the guitar.

Are you trying to go it alone and be self taught? If so, can you tell us why? A Teacher can help a student not injure themselves, provide wise guidance, detailed and constructive feedback and correct bad habits before they begin.

GA

Fingerhurting
July 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Well to be trueful i was kind of thinking to go it a lone. But you are so right my friend, looks like i was trying to start to high up the mountain lol:thwap
So think i will be tryin out a teacher thanks you guys.

Fingerhurting
July 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hi all well had me 1st lesson to day:thumbsup
Must say good fingers paying for it lol.Told me for now just to soak up what it is that i want to do with me guitar:digit .So as you do went hunting for some tabs to try and play:dude .Know it will be a challenge but going to try for Working Man ;)RusH:).
love that band.

6stringdrug
July 18th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I started with my thumb always at the fretboard, but after years and muscles and just playing, it just kind goes where it needs to without me worrying. Just keep pickin and it will work out. There will be some pain and fatigue, just take a break and let the blood get back in there and get back to it. the comfort and stamina will come. happy learnin, welcome

:dude