PDA

View Full Version : New used Fender P bass

Duffy
July 16th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Man, I just noticed, we don't get much action here on the bass section of the forum. Very few posts made. I'm surprised by this because a lot of guys have been getting new basses like Marnold, etc.

Anyway I lucked out on a 250 dollar used mint '02 Fender MIM P bass. It is black with a maple fretboard and I had a new aged white pearl pickguard installed with a new set of 45 - 105 round wound strings. I had the neck adjusted for lower action and the frets polished up to a nice untarnished look.

The bass was hardly played. No wear on the pickguard and no scratches on the entire guitar and you know how scratches show up on gloss black. This thing polished up beautifully. I was worried about getting scratches from polishing it. It came out real nice and the tone is very good.

I have played it only thru my Marshall MB30 great practice bass amp, straight in and with a multipedal. I have gone back to the straight in sound since this Marshall amp has a lot of tone shaping and a great sound. The pots are not noisy and they work very well, doing what they should very well.

This bass is very fun to play and has the sound and feel of a great instrument. I will be selling my Squier P bass and maybe my Peavey P J bass. I will hold on to my Squier affinity J bass with Fender noisless J bass pups for the immediate future.

A lot of my older guitars that I am replacing with upgraded ones were abused by my son and his friends when I lived in my marital house after my separation. They would go in and just grab whatever they wanted to play when I wasn't home with no regard to being careful and not damaging them. Needless to say, a lot of them got scratched up and chipped, dented, etc., during this period. I'm more than glad to have moved on and now live in a secure environment with my fiance.

During that same period, you may recall, a nephew of mine, 43, I had taken in when no one else in the family would. He was in a jam. Well, he wound up ripping me off for my Gibson SG faded and a fat strat Hwy One Fender along with my Behringer GM110 amp, a pro chain saw, and a lot of other expensive things including my entire music video DVD collection, leaving only the empty cases. The day of the guitar theft I threw him out, not without the necessity of involving public service agency and the police.

Lately he called me wanting to confess and make retribution. I didn't return his phone call and told my son to tell him that if he wants to confess he should just call the state police.

Can you imagine enjoying playing a guitar someone bought you to replace one that they stole from you previously? This just doesen't have any vibes attached to it.

I am way more at peace now, as some of you may have deduced over the months, and have started out anew. I still keep in touch with my son but distance myself from his friends and old band that I helped out so much only to be burned.

It is strange how life takes us places and puts us thru experiences. Some of these experiences we could have gotten ourselves out of sooner if we would have had the initiative; but we often want to hold on to the past and things that have long been gone, refusing to face the facts, and maybe being played with along the way. I know some of you guys know what I'm talking about. There are a lot of experiences among us.

Anyway the new Fender bass is beautiful and sounds great. I might put a set of relatively light guage flat wounds on it to further develop that mellow tone type sound so pleasant to the ear from a bass. For now I'm sticking with the new round wounds and will enjoy the flats on my J bass.

Some cool pictures to follow soon.

Monkus
July 16th, 2010, 12:38 PM
What a story... That surely strikes a chord in most of us. Its people like you though, that gives the other people some one to look up to. Even if its unnecessary, its a good place to be. Rock on dude, rock on...

MAXIFUNK
July 16th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Duffy the old saying even this shall pass comes to mind.

These are words to live by for the rest of our lives:

"If I can't change the people around me, then I change the people around me"

Life can be to short to have negative people sucking up your life force.
Good for you for finding peace and moving on and getting your hands on some really great gear along the way!!!:applause :applause :applause :applause :dude

Duffy
July 16th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Had the right strings put on it today. Slinky Regular Bass Strings 50 - 105s. I like these strings and might get the power ones that are even heavier next.

This bass has some real nice tone thru my Marshall MB30 straight up. Next I will hook up my Zoom B2.1u and get some more tones.

I have flatwounds on my J bass and these roundwound heavier strings are a nice contrast, nickel plated.

NWBasser
July 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
Finally some action in the bass section!:applause

Congratulations on the new P-bass!:dude

I can't wait for some pics of the new baby.

Flats on a P are the bees knees for playing rock and sound really good in a mix.

No new bass news from me these days. I'm quite happy with the current stable and don't foresee any changes to the collection. Time now to just play the snot out of the ones I have.

Duffy
July 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
NWbasser,

What is your bass rig?

What guage flats do you use? I heard recently that the lighter ones sound way better because they are not like plucking railroad ties, they vibrate back and forth in the magnetic field more widely in amplitude and therefore give off a better tone.

I always thought the super heavy flats were the best for a good tone.

What is your amp or amps?

I have just started to build up my bass end. Gave my good bass rig to my son years ago: an 85 MIJ Jazz bass, vintage white and an equally old Peavey TNT 115. I bought him an SWR Workingpro 15 a couple years ago and an Epi goth Tbird along with an Epi set neck LP bass. He also plays keyboards, took lessons for ten years, and sings really well, also screams, etc., modern genre stuff.

I have a Squire J bass w new Fender Noiseless J bass pups I had put on it professionally. Sounds good, strung with flats. And the new used P bass. I have a Fender Rumble 100 I picked up to get by with and recently picked up a Marshall MB30 two channel practice amp, a great little ten inch amp.

I'm thinking of getting a good bass amp and I can't ignore those new tube preamp Marshalls, even though I don't see anyone using them.

NWBasser
July 26th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I have a 2000 Fender Am. Deluxe Jazz with Audere preamp, a Grandon Westlund custom prototype, and a Tom Clement fretless jazz. All of them are four stringers. These three do the job for me pretty well.

For an amp, I use a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and use a Carvin BRX2.10 (2x10) cab at home and an Avatar 4x10 with the band. I really adore the sound of the Shuttle and, at 3.5 lb., I can toss it into the gig bag and take it around quite easily.

I use light gauge flats on the fretless, can't recall the brand right now, but they sound quite good and put out a very solid thump. A couple of things about flats is that they last a very long time and they seem to really shine in a band mix more than on their own.:dance

kidsmoke
July 27th, 2010, 09:40 AM
come on guys...........

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg