PDA

View Full Version : Cheap errr Inexpensive amp covers

progrmr
July 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Why am I having a tough time finding cheap generic sized am covers?? I've got a VOX AD15VT, Fender Blues Jr. and a Line 6 15W. They're all roughly the same size and I'm not paying $20 a piece (plus shipping) for what is a $5 piece of material!

I just need something simple and cheap to act as a dust cover. Anyone know of anything like this?

Heywood Jablomie
July 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Trash bag.

progrmr
July 17th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Trash bag.

lol! I'd like something a bit more fashioned, but that has crossed my mind!

Retro Hound
July 17th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I use old t-shirts.

otaypanky
July 18th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I make my own covers for some of my amps. I pay more for material alone is more than it sounds like you want to pay for material, labor and shipping combined. A yard of decent 'leather like' vinyl can easily be upwards of $30. You might find some lightweight stuff for $17-$20, and some real juny stuff for a bit less. Now figure in labor time, what it costs to pay rent and utilities for your workspace, have a sewing machine and the tools needed, and some $ for the person doing the work ~
'Sounds like a very fair price to me at only $20. But I wouldn't expect to get a quality product for that little ~

poodlesrule
July 19th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I found an outdoor tablecloth that has a nice beige mini-tweed print, and a bit of thickness, i.e., not the feel of a light cotton or such. Washable and wear-resisitant!

Have not done so, but I plan on making amp covers (after I get more amps, a creeping addiction I sense is coming..).

bcdon
July 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I use old socks.. I have really big feet. :happy

progrmr
July 20th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Well I went ahead and paid for the blues junior cover. The line 6..well who cares what happens to that lol, and the Vox will stay in another room.

I make my own covers for some of my amps. I pay more for material alone is more than it sounds like you want to pay for material, labor and shipping combined. A yard of decent 'leather like' vinyl can easily be upwards of $30. You might find some lightweight stuff for $17-$20, and some real juny stuff for a bit less. Now figure in labor time, what it costs to pay rent and utilities for your workspace, have a sewing machine and the tools needed, and some $ for the person doing the work ~
'Sounds like a very fair price to me at only $20. But I wouldn't expect to get a quality product for that little ~

I'd expect that making one amp cover at a time would be more expensive, but these companies make thousands of these. They get plenty of discounts buying bulk and probably have a factory over in China making them for next to nothing. $20 for an amp cover includes plenty of markup IMO. Buying one, ok $20 isn't THAT bad but when you're looking at ~$70 with tax and shipping for 3, well that just stinks to me :)

kiteman
July 24th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I was looking at some covers for my Bogner but the plastic bag the amp came in seems to work alright. :)

I still plan on getting a cover.

poodlesrule
July 25th, 2010, 07:10 AM
This is for home?
Hit JoAnn's Fabric or such store, find a decent coated vinyl (or heavy cotton?), cut a box top and sides. Assemble with velcro tabs?